Home Forums General General Heavy brush stroke painting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve just come across FairOaks024 on eBay who has a different style of painting to the current trend (these are 15mm figs):

Obviously high contrast, black undercoat, possible a basic triad for colour selection and designed for the 3-foot view rather than the display cabinet.

Git feel I think it should be as quick as ‘slap-chop’ / contrasts paints and saves brushes as it does not use the dry brush step.

Other examples (inc 28mm) are on eBay using the link above if you want to see other examples but I think I like it (esp for 15s) and was wondering if anyone here paints like this and how you think it works on the table?

Participant

My painting for 10mm is not far off this, but probably not such a contrast, but it works once on the table, as any subtle shading etc simply disappears.

Participant

That reminds me of the old Battlefront painting style. Tbh, it looks like a monumental faff, as you are painting the whole thing three times. Ok for a couple of figures but I’d go mad doing that for a whole army.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

fairoaks024 is an active member here.

I’m guessing it’s the same person as their work looks very similar to the example above.

I admire anyone who can make a decision to not slavishly follow trends and fashion, and I like these. They really are designed to produce an effect for a specific, normal, viewing distance, just like pointillism or impressionism.

As Steve said, what may look excellent at macro range on a phone camera disappears at normal range and what produces a blip of confusion up close suddenly becomes clear and wonderfully effective.

Participant

If I remember correctly, years ago a friend got some 15mm figures from Essex Miniatures painting service, and they were in the same style as the ones shown by Andrew.  (I just checked, and judging from the current photos shown, Essex have either changed their style or perhaps painter).

The figures, honestly, didn’t look too pretty up close, but as an army in the table, looked quite striking. However they certainly didn’t mix well with his other figures, that were painted by another painter who used white undercoat and staining techniques.  Personally, I rather liked the harsh style once we began playing.

Participant

I’ve never been a fan of seeking to find some sort of “technique” one has to adhere to – do what works for what you want. All the talk about the Snapchat Method or whatever just kind of irritated me for some reason. These look great and look like they’d be doubly amazing at table distance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.