Home Forums General General Dear Mike, can we have a…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

…’Like’ button? Pretty please? Other forums I use have one and the world hasn’t ended yet because of it.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

I did consider this, but then worried that people would just click like rather than actually make conversation.

Participant

A common argument against, I’ll admit. Doesn’t appear to be the case on the other sites I alluded to, but they have more active members than TWW. Which is not a criticism/slight, the other sites are long establish and are aimed at more mainstream subjects than wargaming.

Anyway, you’re the boss. 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

Anyway, you’re the boss.

My house, my…

What hast I become.

Participant

Anyway, you’re the boss.

My house, my… What hast I become.

See? I could have ‘liked’ that instead of typing this nonsense 😉

Participant

I’m good if we do have a like button or not. Wink wink.

Participant

I usually don’t post if my only content is ‘that was nice’. I’d give a ‘like’ way more often than I post.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

I’m with Zippy, there are a lot of times that I like/enjoy/appreciate something, but feel silly posting, ” I like your post, but have nothing of substance to add to the conversation”.  I’d be cool with a “like” button to let them know it was read and appreciated.

PS: Mike, that was pretty funny!

Participant

I suppose Mr archaic grammarian is not welcome to mention that ‘hast’ is the second person singular present indicative of ‘to have’?

As in ‘Thou hast made a right **** up of it’.

Whereas ‘he hath brought it upon himself by being cheeky to the editor’ 

and ‘I have sent an apology to Mike for being picky’

Oh – and as no-one is going to ‘like’ this I am ambivalent towards ‘like’ buttons.

Liketh.

Participant

I am with Zippy and Irishserb…my written response rate will be the same (when I am motivated to do do), but having a Like or +1 button would mean I would actually be a bit more involved without having to write a response.

But it is your house, your…oh wait, I stopped going to that house!

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://checkingmy6.blogspot.com/

Keymaster

Trial version installed, once expired it costs money, cough cough…

I have to say, however, I’m not a fan of the dislike button, especially when it allows for anonymous dislikes.

It reminds me of a certain stifle count function that used to exist in a certain… ah, screw it, am I allowed to just say TMP? 

EDIT: Just tested disliking myself. It works.

Participant

The dislike button is a worry.

Participant

Yeah, the dislike is a terrible idea, it’s one thing to let people indicate they saw something they liked anonymously, the dislike is just a way for people to be nasty with no consequences.

Participant

Yeah, the dislike is a terrible idea, it’s one thing to let people indicate they saw something they liked anonymously, the dislike is just a way for people to be nasty with no consequences.

I didn’t ask for a ‘dislike’ button. If having ‘dislike’ is the price of having ‘like’ it’s better to ditch the whole thing.

Keymaster

ta-da

Participant

What he said.

Keymaster

ah, screw it, am I allowed to just say TMP?

yes.

Keymaster

once expired it costs money, cough cough…

Shag it, then.

Though if just 4 normal members became sponsoring members, within a year they will have paid for it.
    Just 4 of you….

<small violin>

Much better.

I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to become a sponsoring member twice concurrently. I have nothing to advertise so the £5 per month for a trader membership might be a bit much for me as a non-trader, but for the upkeep of a pleasant community that I call home I could certainly go above the measly £1 a month that a single sponsoring membership costs.

Keymaster

Much better. I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to become a sponsoring member twice concurrently. I have nothing to advertise so the £5 per month for a trader membership might be a bit much for me as a non-trader, but for the upkeep of a pleasant community that I call home I could certainly go above the measly £1 a month that a single sponsoring membership costs.

Hmmm the easy way is to set up another account and make it a sponsor, that would do it.
    Or…..  Some sponsors pay their fees in 12 month chunks, always happy to be flexible when it comes to getting money  😀

Ah, ace.

I have, however, developed a taste for disliking myself now. I think I shall keep doing that, button or no button 

Participant

Much better.

I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to become a sponsoring member twice concurrently.

Mike, would it be possible to set up several types of membership, with different costs? Even if they all had the same benefits, it would make it easy for idiots nice people like Rhoderic to give you more money.

Military history author

it would make it easy for idiots nice people like Rhoderic to give you more money.

No, no, idiots is fine. I’m glad the truth is out 

Participant

Hey Rhoderic,

if you want to send Mike more money why not give a years membership to one of the non sponsering members, who knows maybe after a year he/she may decide they like it and pay for it themself and then you can work on getting someone else hooked.😋

Participant

I am already a sponsoring member and I appreciate the trial…but it does seem to freeze the page for several seconds while it does its thing!

Regardless of that hiccup, thank you!

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://checkingmy6.blogspot.com/

Keymaster

I am already a sponsoring member and I appreciate the trial…but it does seem to freeze the page for several seconds while it does its thing! Regardless of that hiccup, thank you!

Interesting. It seems ok on my laptop but does indeed freeze my phone a treat. What are you on?

Participant

‘Ben likes this’

*photo of tits*

Ah, the wonders of technology…

Participant

I noticed when you use the like button a box appears asking if you want to share it, but can’t see a way of actually sharing.  It would be useful for sharing on social media to bring more people to the forum. Well, at least let me tweet topics I am interested in 

Participant

I am already a sponsoring member and I appreciate the trial…but it does seem to freeze the page for several seconds while it does its thing! Regardless of that hiccup, thank you!

Interesting. It seems ok on my laptop but does indeed freeze my phone a treat. What are you on?

It seems to take a while to do its thing on my work machine, too. Didn’t freeze it or anything, but it took several seconds to register the “like”.

Military history author

Participant

Not a fan of the like button.  I like forums because they are different than FB.  You can actually articulate an idea on a forum.

Keymaster

I noticed when you use the like button a box appears asking if you want to share it, but can’t see a way of actually sharing. It would be useful for sharing on social media to bring more people to the forum. Well, at least let me tweet topics I am interested in

I did have one for a bit.
    The thing is, every single feature/function adds to the sever demand and things like sharing on social media can be done by simply pasting the link into the social media platform of your choice.

The like button seems a but laggy for instance..

Participant

Yeah, I noticed the like button was laggy too, but thought it was my WiFi

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.