Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Learning to fly the Huey.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Well, I didn’t get my cyclic, I thought it came together with my Collective, but apparently, it hasn’t been sent yet. I spent an hour trying to attack the collective to my chair, as even tho the collective attachment base had many many different wholes all over the place. None fit my chair, in the end, I went nuclear and drilled violently new holes in it. So I could use the screws that came with the chain and fit the chain. So now to test it out, I’ve watched a few videos that were recommended and they helped immensely, particularly the collective/PSI diel thing. Knowing that at 25 PSI in a light Huey would be just before it took off helped a lot. Also, I think just having a nice working collective did a lot of good too, Also removing the tension in my pedals to make them loose was very helpful. Whatever actually did it. I did my best flight in a helicopter ever in DCS, it’s been over a year since I flew the Huey last. But I did a good take-off, and a decent landing, and most importantly felt I had control. I knew more about What did what in the helicopter and what to look for in the cockpit to keep her under control. Still, a very very long way to go to become even half competent. But it was nice not feeling I had zero control over the helicopter as soon as it dropped below 60knot. Also having a collective is great for immersion in VR.

I’m feeling like you’re missing an opportunity to play ride of the valkyrie in the background, a gunship version would make it perfect.

I’m feeling like you’re missing an opportunity to play ride of the valkyrie in the background, a gunship version would make it perfect.

That will all come, the DCS Huey can actually be very heavily armed. You can do the basics 2 M60s in the door. Or 2 minigun in the door.

You can also have several different rockets, various Hyra 70s. And even front facing miniguns.

So if you wanna kill all infantry ever and if you can get the Huey up in the air. You can load it up with 38 rockets, 2 front facing miniguns and 2 door miniguns. Will kill your frame rate. But very impressive sight. Huey can use sligns to move cargo.

Right now, I’m working on a very basic troop transport mission.

8 Hueys 4 of which will lands and dropp off troops that will assault a farm held by some baddies.

And just got notice from DHL that my stick will come on Thursday.

Participant

Do you have to watch out for mast bumping?

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Do you have to watch out for mast bumping?

Masts and cables!

Participant

deephorse wrote: Do you have to watch out for mast bumping? Masts and cables!

Ooof.  That’s gotta be hard to avoid in a video game where you don’t really feel the real response or inertial movements.  A friend of my dad’s died in Vietnam flying an early Charlie model gunship when they were flying NOE and went low-g after dipping over a tall tree.  Between the witness account (trail ship) and crash investigation they believe there was a mast bump which caused the blades to just come off.  This was one of the crashes that prompted the new mastheads and blade designs which greatly reduced accidents.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

I haven’t managed to do it myself in the Huey, but it is modeled.

My understanding is that it’s mostly a 2 rotor blade problem and later 4 blade Bells and any other 4 bladed helicopter don’t really have that problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.