Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming MiG15 vs F86(first flight in the MiG15)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

It’s sales time. That means new plane.

There aren’t many left to buy for me. So I got the MiG15.

Fighting the MiG15 in the F86 is frustration in its purest form. Even on low AI difficulty the MiG will have infinite energy,  do insane turns and just go and go.

So I thought it would be interesting to try it from the other side.

I’ve never flown this plane. Except for setting up some basic controls(even forgetting to set up the trim before I flew) I had done nothing. I didn’t know what any instrument did.

But still going in blind I still beat the F86 Ace AI two out of two fights.

Which leaves 3 alternatives.

1. The MiG15 was an insanely superior fighter to the F86, which would be odd as it’s generally said that the 15 vs 86 was the most even of all aerial adversaries.

2. I’m the greatest pilot ever.(even less likely)

3. The AI in the MiG15 is just way way off.

Participant

… or either the flight modeling for the Mig-15 or the F-86 are not correct.  Try same vs same with the different AIs and maybe that will shed some light?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ace AI F86s struggle with even trained(next lowest quality) AI MiG15s.

The MiG15 AI can from a 3000 feet to 25 000 feet and still have the energy to do a 9g turn and still keep 350 knots.

Human MiG15 pilots can’t do that.

Participant

Oh ya, that sounds totally broken.  Perhaps a little bit of “russian bias” as often occurs in a lot of games and simulations.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

There might be or ED just doesn’t care about these older moduals.

Just yesterday they fixed the ammo count for the F86, it has some 230 rounds too few and has had that since it came out some 8 years ago. Took them 8 years to change some numbers in a text document.

The F86 M3 guns still have the wrong velocity,  ED have been “investigating ” this for 5 years.

But the Russians bias is real as all sims makes stuff based on publicly available info and the Russians have just been lying for 70 years. Like Russian ships and SAMs are super deadly in DCS,  but current real world conflict shows Russian hardware just isn’t that good.

Granted all ground fire in DCS is way too deadly. WW2 AAA is insanely effective,  much more so than in real life. Even guys with AKs can snipe an F16 pilot going 550 knots.

I’ve read real accounts of western air forces going into Iraq in 91 and 2003 and the density of AAA  and SAMs they encountered in real life and survived would be impossible to survive in DCS. Missiles too effective. Guns too effective. Lack of “untrained users” simulation etc. It means you have to have like 1 SAM battery for every 5 or 10 in real life to simulate the effectiveness.

A second attempt.

This time 2 F86s on ace.

Very fun and interesting fights.

So its broken fllight model?
    Don’t know why, but it feels good to findout even DCS has broken flight models. Really brings down the myth of it being the most accurate flight sim.

So its broken fllight model? Don’t know why, but it feels good to findout even DCS has broken flight models. Really brings down the myth of it being the most accurate flight sim.

Flight model is perfectly fine. If you play multiplayer the F86 MiG15 are great and very even opponents, just as in real life. Its the AI.

While the AI has gotten decent in most planes. The AI in the MiG15 (and apparently in the MiG21 according to people) don’t work right. The AI planes will do stuff a human player never could in the same planes.

It seems like they are using the old ww2 AI logics, as the ww2 planes still don’t have the updated dogfight logic.

The AI mig 15 can go straight up  from 3000 feet to 25 000 feet then go straight into a 9g turn. Me flying the MiG15 doesn’t have a chance at doing that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.