Home Forums WWII Portable A4 sized 6mm WW2 game using 3×4 grid on blog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have had an idea to play a WW2 miniatures games on a 3 by 4 grid for nearly 20 years now. The aim was to create a portable game playable in 30 minute lunchtime.  Only seriously investigated it over the last 3 years but I have abandoned every attempt at playing rules that work, due to being garbage before playing, or garbage once played.

In about April this year, i had a idea to drastically convert my 20mm WW2 rules, these  based on throwing a variable number of dice and counting successes (rather than rolling one die and adding and subtracting modifiers).  In my head it made sense and so I wrote up a Quick Reference sheet, grabbed some 6mm figures and cut out an A4 sheet of railway grass mat.  I played 3 games at home, and had the opportunity to play 3 games away to see if it was portable.  It worked.

I have written a very long blog post on my journey with where it all started, the rules used and discarded along the way, a description of the rules I ended up using and 6 brief battle reports of the games I did play recently.  When I say very long.  I mean very very very long.

If you want to have a skim, or read the whole thing or just glance at the pictures here is the link to the blog post:

https://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/portable-play-in-document-box-or-very.html

And just in case you have never seen a 6mm game played on an A4 sheet of paper, here is one example from the blog post on what it looks like:

Participant

Thank you for such an in depth description of how you developed the rules, I like what you have achieved with them.  I might need to try this out for myself.  This has to be one of the most useful blog posts I’ve ever read. 🙂

Participant

Thanks Victoria.  I did start to write the blog post in 2014 as I thought I had the answer.  I updated it irregularly as I went along until finding something that worked.  I could never figure out how to split the post up and make it still hang together, so I didn’t!

I am very glad a niggling side project ended up with an answer.  But having only used the rules 6 times, I cannot really say they are well play tested 🙂

Participant

Shaun,

Thanks for sharing this labour of love. I can’t believe you class it as a side project. It’s really well detailed. I think I am going to take a much closer look at this, as I travel lots A4 is ideal size to put in my carry on bag.

Excellent work and I really like your blog.

many thanks,

Ian

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Well Shaun, that certainly IS portable! 😀  I like the goal system rules you have.  I’ve always been partial to those mechanics ever since the Super System came out all those years ago.  I’ll give them a try soon.  I already have my own portable board and 6mm armies.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

This has definitely inspired me. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.