Home Forums General General Sculpted fire/flames, where to get?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to standardise and unify my method of painting “lit” objects and to that end I need a number of identical or similar castings of sculpted fire. I mean to experiment with different ways of painting fire and compare them to each other.

I know Crom’s Anvil has fire bowls, but I’ve been able to sculpt and cast something similar myself (a cone shape with a flame-textured surface) and I’m now hoping to find something where the flames are a bit more “articulated”, for lack of a better word.

Does anyone know of any suitable sculpts of fire on the market, that can be bought in numerous duplicates for relatively cheap?

Keymaster

Shapeways?

Shapeways?

Ah, you’ve exposed my weakness. I’m still uninitiated to the sacred mysteries of Shapeways 

Armorcast and Anvil Industry does muzzle flashes, also search ebay.
    https://www.armorcast.com/Cinematic-Effects?page=2
    http://anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=flash

Might also want to search shops with dungeon tiles they might have detail kits.
    I don’t think this fit the cheap category.
    http://zealotminiatures.com/shop-2/#!/Braziers-x2/p/82421272/category=23326032

Ooh, I really like those Zealot Miniatures braziers. They’re precisely the style of sculpted fire I’m after. But cheap they ain’t. Now I’m just looking at them wondering if the sculptor used some special technique that’s simpler than it looks (probably not, but I’m foolhardy when it comes to sculpting).

Participant

What about the reaper bones fire elementals, balls of fire etc.

they are cheap and very well sculpted. ( also transparent if you want to play with lighting them with LEDs)

What about the reaper bones fire elementals, balls of fire etc. they are cheap and very well sculpted. ( also transparent if you want to play with lighting them with LEDs)

The Wall of Fire and the Burning Sphere could suit my purposes well, and are cheap as you say. Thanks.

As I’m on my way to spending the better part of a week away from home, I brought some putty and modelling tools with me to try sculpting “articulated” flames of my own. This is probably redundant now but I’m still going to try. My idea is to first sculpt some flat, 2D-ish “licks” of flame, but then curl, ripple and gently crimp these a bit before they cure. Then, once they’ve cured, to cut them up and rearrange multiples of them with glue into more 3D shapes and use more putty to fill the joins, add more bulk and generally make everything come together in natural, curving shapes. This would try to emulate the appearance of the Zealot Miniatures brazier fires. Probably a doomed enterprise given my sculpting skills, but I repeat, I’m foolhardy.

Sounds like a nice little competition to get people involve. Sculpt some flames and share techniques.

Found some more. Pretty sure they’re 3D printed.
    Clear Resin

Found some more. Pretty sure they’re 3D printed. Clear Resin

Cast in clear polyurethane resin, though they might well be 3D-printed designs originally. At approximately 12mm high they’re just about big enough to qualify for my requirements. Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.