Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Sunken Roads

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently scrounged some 5mm thick PVC foamboard offcuts from a local sign maker, however I find it too thick for 15mm buildings and walls. Because it does not warp and lies perfectly flat on the table I thought about using them offcuts  to make sunken roads. The idea is to glue two pieces on top of each other and chamfer the edges, this gives a raised field and the illusion of a sunken road (hopefully). My overall aim is to try and create the claustrophobic  environment of bocage and sunken roads in Normandy. I have loosely covered the PVC with scraps of dark green fleece and placed hedges on top for effect. Now i wonder whether to use the fleece to cover the pieces or use paint and scatter.

Participant

I’d think you’d want to keep with however you are basing your troops, buildings and vehicles so your army does not look out of place during play.  Would the layout be static or able to be rearranged?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

You could paint and or flock the edges so the white doesn’t show.

Participant

Hi Darkest Star, they will be four individual pieces with hedges around the perimeter of a field. Each piece will be movable to line up opposite or alongside each other, the height forming a ridgeline or a sunken road area…that’s the intention.

Kyoteblue, my intention is to coat the edges with brown acrylic caulk and then to sparsely flock so the brown shows through in areas as earth. I’m undecided whether to do the same on top (the field area) or stick the felt on.

That’s an excellent idea, sometimes keeping it simple, is the best way.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.