Home Forums Modern Team Whiskey – Fulda Gap Batrep 6 Part I

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 1230 on 6 August 1986, and Team Whiskey is in flux. The Soviets have sent multiple columns forward, with V Corps having a decidedly hard time in determining which represent the main Soviet effort, largely due to the fact the Soviets have continually pressed forward with very strong (by US standards) reconnaissance elements, degraded US battlefield intelligence (due to casualties, Electronic Warfare by the Soviets, and the NBC environment), and the NATO focus on getting the German populace away from the contaminated areas. To this end, the West German 5th Panzer Division charged and sacrificed itself, buying time for V Corps to rearrange its defenses and continue to evacuate the civilians. Amongst this mess of civilians, friendly, and enemy vehicles and troops, Team Whiskey ended up pushing elements forward into Frankfurt am Main to counter an enemy armored formation moving into the urban area, threatening the evacuation.

Team Whiskey pushes forward Captain Keepers’ Kilo Company, still under-strength, but only in existence due to the fact 11th ACR has collapsed 3rd and 4th Squadrons together to form one, retaining the name “Team Whiskey” as more of 4th Squadron’s officers were still in the field. Only two of Kilo’s three platoons were ready for the fight, and even then they had no vehicles, and were supported by tanks of Lt Sorenson’s 4th Tank Platoon, though only a couple tanks were able to make it in time for the fight.

The NATO situation with regards to making up for combat losses, as well as keeping up logistics to support what little is left, has gotten desperate.

The opposing forces, with Soviets on the left and US on the right. As usual, a whole lot against not quite enough 😉 This is a positional defense game, with the US trying to block the Soviet axis of advance by retaining at least three of five key buildings, and the Soviets trying to take them.

The US force, centered around Kilo Company under Captain Keepers. They have 1st and 2nd Mech Inf platoons, under Lt Ditteaux and a transplant from 3rd Sqdn, 11th ACR: Lt Rownnan. The CO has an M577, while both platoon leaders have M-113s with .50 cal HMGs. Then there are eight rifle teams, two MG teams, two TOW ATGM teams, four 81mm mortar tubes, and an AH-64 Apache. Coming in a bit late will be two M1 Abrams of Lt Sorenson’s 4th Tank Platoon.

The Soviets have four command teams with vehicles, 18 BMPs, 18 rifle teams, four T-72s, a ZSU-23/4 air defense vehicle, and three on-call fire missions from direct support 122mm SPGs (off table).

The table, looking south to north, with US forces spread across the center of the table from left to right (west to east), while the Soviets are spread across the top center and top right. The US defender is trying to cover the whole board, while the Soviet commander had put all his troops from north-south road at center to right (east).

The blue circles are the objective buildings, and the winner is the one who controls three of them by game’s end. Each US platoon has a command stand, M-113, four rifle teams, an MG team, and a TOW. The CO is at center right, with 1st Platoon, while the US mortars are at bottom right. The Apache is in a low hover at bottom left.

A US TOW launcher fires a missile at Soviet BMPs. To see how the fight’s going, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/09/team-whiskey-fulda-gap-batrep-6-part-i.html

Well, that’s all for now kids, stay tuned for the stunning conclusion!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

Must not look! I’m saving this for the weekend! Later dude.

Rushed Rod Robertson

Participant

I died holding a .45 and not a Ma Duce !!!!! Uncle Carl would be so disappointed.

Participant

Oh, hurry up Rod.  I’m hoping to have Part II up tonight, but can’t promise that.

Kyote – Nothing wrong with a .45; besides, you’re a 0 and don’t rate to touch a man’s weapon 😉  Besides, you’re not dead, you’re listed a Missing In Action.  Maybe Chuck Norris will come and rescue ya 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I once met Chuck Norris at a Karate Thing….back in the old days…I’m taller than he is……and a better actor.

Participant

You say that only because of the level of security that comes with the knowledge that THE Chuck Norris doesn’t frequent internet forums of hobby dorks.

Just remember: Chuck Norris doesn’t go hunting, because the term hunting hints at the possibility of failure.  Chuck Norris goes killing.

The only reason your conscious right now is because Chuck Norris doesn’t feel like carrying you.

Chuck Norris sued NBC for copyright infringement for its TV series, “Law and Order,” which are the names of Norris’ left and right legs, respectively.

Yada-yada-yada, you get the point Kyote, so watch yourself buddy.  I don’t want you disappearing in a flurry of roundhouse kicks 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Did I mention he is short….

Participant

Just Jack:

Exciting action and almost unimaginable violence but the Soviets are being pussy cats led to the slaughter. Use the T-72’s and the Saggers/Spandrels as over watch weapons and use the 73mm guns to reduce the buildings to rubble while the Soviet infantry dismount and move up on foot o take what’s left of the objectives. And use smoke and speculative suppressive fire to shut down the ATGW’s. Maximum violence focused on key positions coupled with maneuver and occupying sheltering terrain are Soviet tactics. Instead they seem determined to drive themselves down the throats of the NATO kill zones and die in droves.

The reportage is exciting and vivid and the suspense is palpable. Well done, sir on another epic battle report and I’m off to part two!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.