Home Forums Air and Sea Naval War Times Journal forced to end 3D print production

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was very disappointed to stumble upon this announcement on War Times Journal’s site:

WTJ ANNOUNCEMENT – JULY 22
    Our primary 3D printing vendor has been forced to close because of several unfortunate factors. The Print line of miniatures is now discontinued, but the Digital Download and DLP lines are still available and will continue to be expanded. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
    http://www.wtj.com/store/

Sadly, that means WTJ miniatures are no longer available in the smaller scales, primarily 1/1800, 1/2400 or 1/3000 unless you buy the files and print them yourself. I was just about to place another order too. 🙁  The DLP line only offers the much larger scales from 1/1500 to 1/600.

Here’s hoping WTJ eventually finds another print partner.

War Times Journal 1/3000 British destroyers

Participant

I would have thought that finding alternative print partners would be easier than ever, given the popularity and nearly ubiquitous nature of 3D printers now.    Not having such a thing myself though, like the Admiral, I too hope they find another commercial print service.

Participant

Very disappointing news as I really liked their 1/2400 pre-dreadnoughts. I am surprised another vendor isn’t readily available as resin and FDM printing is pretty mainstream these days.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

They don’t seem to be offering the German High Seas Fleet destroyers as prints. Too bad as they filled a couple missing slots.

A pity. A lovely line that covered stuff that many others did not (Greek fleet for 1912-1913). Sad to see it go

Participant

This happened to WTJ once before and they managed to find another print partner, as suggested. The key problem was finding a partner that produced prints to the standards required. Having done it once before…

Robert

Participant

Yes. It’s a great pity.

• Jonathan — Yes, you are right, many of the smaller Great War warships aren’t yet available in either larger-scale DLP or as 3D print files.
    • Robert — Interesting. I didn’t know that. At least I can now hope that you and Tony S are right and the line might one day be revived.

The models were indeed made to a higher standard than any other naval miniature manufacturer I have encountered, GHQ included (not that I want to start a GHQ vs WTJ discussion!).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.