Home Forums General General Weather, rattle can, and whoopsie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Friday was my birthday, and after doing a bunch of stuff at work and running around doing things with my daughter I decided to take some me time and do a little painting with some spray paint I had just bought.   I have used this brand before, the kind with primer and color, and it has been fantastic so I had no reason to think this time would be any different.   So, I masked off the area to be painted and used some stencils from a company which I’ve used before and figured everything would go just as flawlessly as normal. I sprayed a light first coat and everything looked fantastic, and I left it to dry for a couple hours before coming back and applying another light coat.

Then the weather changed….

I had brought the can back into the house with me from the garage after the first coat. I did not realize that a front had come through and the temperature and humidity had changed so much. There was muuuuch more moisture in the air than earlier.   When I sprayed the second coat things went really wrong as you can see below.

Hex

A couple of things have happened here. A ton of moisture was added to the paint as it was sprayed, the stencil shrank some because of the temperature shift, and the paint turned glossy.  The combination of these things resulted in some chunking, some wicking and some running.  For such a thin coat that was applied it sure does seem awful thick as well.

I am not sure how to correct this.  Sand it down? This is a filament 3D print and I’m worried if I use some kind of thinner or turpentine it could seriously degrade the model and obliterate what little surface detail there is.   I no longer have the skill to go in and fix this by hand, so removal seems the better option.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I’ll wish you a belated happy birthday…

If you have a spare piece of the 3D print why not try that to see if it is degraded by thinners?

Participant

I’d give it a bath of Dettol*, but as Andrew said, try it on a piece of scrap print first.

* Simple Green in the States?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

If you have a spare piece of the 3D print why not try that to see if it is degraded by thinners?

I do have some extra parts that I’m not going to use, I’ll do just that!

The part is too big for a bath of Simple Green (it’s like 3 dinner plates put together big!), but I could probably put a soaked towel over it.

Thanks!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.