Home Forums Renaissance Building an ECW Royalist army

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’ve almost finished  my 17 unit Covenanter army. It’s meant to be a bit special & uses mostly Tumbling Dice figures (which are lovely).

A pal is doing likewise to create a Royalist Highland force which will be great. The Campbells against Montrose.

Since an unfortunate event several years ago, I’ve always created pairs of contending armies, no matter what my pals can bring to the table….just in case!

So, I’m knocking together an English Royalist army of the same size as my Covenanters.

Big job? Not really. I have a very underused Swedish TYW army, mostly plastic Revell figures. What I’ve started doing is painting a replacement command stand (incl. flag) for each of the 6 P&S regiments. I will then paint & base 4 ECW Royalist generals for the army command. I unfortunately don’t have the spare figures to replace the command bases for the 4 Horse regiments and the Dragoon unit so they’ll have to go into battle with Swedish flags. The artillery doesn’t seem to be a problem.

The result may not satisfy a purist but it gives me the flexibility to field Gustavus’ army or an ECW Royalist army at will.

Has anyone else used a unit or an entire army for 2 or more periods?

donald

Participant

Has anyone else used a unit or an entire army for 2 or more periods?

Yes.  In fact most of my armies are picked for this.

Details, you succinct fellow, you?

donald

Participant

Well done on completing your Covenanter army – and condolences on all its future performances!!!  (I have one, too…..give yourself an e-hug.)

To be strictly accurate, your armies are not really covering two different periods, more two different conflicts, as there is some temporal cross-over between TYW and ECW/WotTK – which is, after all, why the “uniforms” still work!  I would say that most of the FoGR players I know “double up” their figures between different conflicts, in the way that you have – different “command” bases for the P&S or horse (or even just different flags, made so that they slide on and off of the flagpoles), and maybe some more obvious “personality” figures – eg swapping Gustavus for Oliver.  Thus, Elizabethan English dross becomes the all-conquering Spanish Ejercito de Flandes; dour Calvinist Swedes become dour Puritan New Model (except for the dour Presbyterian Scots mercenaries, who just become additional dour Presbyterian Covenanters).

Actually, when you look at all the dourness going round back then, and where it was based, it’s difficult not to blame the weather, isn’t it?

Well done on completing your Covenanter army – and condolences on all its future performances!!! (I have one, too…..give yourself an e-hug.) dour Presbyterian Covenanters). Actually, when you look at all the dourness going round back then, and where it was based, it’s difficult not to blame the weather, isn’t it?

I now live in OZ with plenty of sunshine but I allow myself a daily ration of dourness to remind me of home.

And I am of 2 minds about the probable dismal performance of the Covenanters. Firstly, I’ll be miffed when they lose every battle. But, secondly, I’m not a fan of religious bigotry so I’ll also be secretly glad.

slainte, donald

Participant

You sound far too sensible to be a 17th Century Covenanter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.