Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Carronade 2024

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My photos of Carronade 2024 in Falkirk are online here

https://imageshack.com/a/isk17/1

for those interested.

As usual I’ve tried to include images saying what the game was and who was playing, where the info was available.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

Cheers, quite a small ish show then?

Participant

It’s held in a school, Graeme High School, on the edge of Falkirk.

The show occupies two large halls on the ground floor and two large classrooms on the first floor plus a section of wide hallway on the ground floor.

Lots of traders who I don’t bother photographing, largely because all I’d get would be backs of heads, backpacks and bottoms! 🙂 They  line the walls downstairs with games in the middle and also occupy the hallway. The traders not the heads, etc. Though, come to think of it ….

One of the upstairs rooms holds the “flea market” while the other hosts some games and also  the painting competition …. the latter of which I always forget to photograph. <hangs head in shame>

Well worth a visit for anyone within striking distance.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Interesting to look through the pics – more steampunk ships than I’ve seen in a long time there.

The list of traders was interesting – one that has disappeared from the net is still going much to my surprise (Scheltrum) but lots I’ve not heard off and a few I would like to catch up with again.

Wonder if Mike has seen Mighty Minis and the 3D printed Empire figs (maybe a bit small)?

Participant

750 through the door so not a small show by any means.  We took a trade stand for the first time,  Test of Resolve, and were quite surprised that there was more interest in our established Wars of the Roses range than our new Hundred Years War stuff.  The traders generally seemed pretty busy, the flea market was packed (I picked up a good selection of 10mm Vietnam stuff, not great painting but only £20) and there was plenty of interest in the painting competition so all good.

I was on the organising committee of the show for many years and I would say numbers are back to pre pandemic levels, if not slightly higher.

Participant

…more interest in our established Wars of the Roses range than our new Hundred Years War stuff…

Could this be the recent ‘surge’ in interest for Billhooks and the skirmish Rukus game? Both are getting a lot of press and popping up in blogs / videos a lot?

…the flea market was packed…

And smelly? 🙂 I’ve not seen a quiet bring and buy for years but have seen the prices going up in lots of stands. At Hammerhead folk where trying to sell basic painted figure stands for £30+ but the metals where only £15 new around the corner. Terrain was well over priced with folk asking £40 for MDF builds… Nice to hear that some bargains are still available though.

…would say numbers are back to pre pandemic levels, if not slightly higher.

That’s great news – the more interest in the hobby the better.

And a thank you for giving your time for the organisation of shows (even though I did not go)  – you folk get little praise and deserve more!

Participant

Could this be the recent ‘surge’ in interest for Billhooks and the skirmish Rukus game? Both are getting a lot of press and popping up in blogs / videos a lot?

Billhooks was published whist we were writing Test of Resolve but we were relieved to find that it was a large skirmish/small battle set rather than main battle.  Although Billhooks is popular some people that bought armies for it also want to try something else so it has helped us.  The Perry plastics are a great intro into the period as well.  One set of rules was bought by a young lady for her boyfriend and there was then a rush of Edinburgh University students to the Pendraken stand to buy 100 Years War army packs!

And smelly?

I did not notice it being smelly fortunately.  It was busy without being a scrum.

Participant

More details at testofresolve.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.