Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

To introduce myself. I am Arnald. I love the 19thC period to wargame. In 120 years* the tactics and technology went from absurd to ridiculous and back again. That is how I see it.

*Yes, that is more than 100 years.

Look forward to any responses.

Arnald.

Participant

Welcome Arnald. Like you, I really enjoy the 19th century, more specifically the Victorian era because of the diversity of conflicts. Under Victoria’s reign, the British army started the period fighting in the same way as they did during the Napoleonic Wars, and ended it in largely the same form as it would fight in WW1.
    Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy it here: good people talking about wargaming. No politics, no spamming, and even handed moderation.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

It was a very busy Century, so they had to extend it.

Welcome to the forum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Welcome to TWW.

Participant

It was a very busy Century, so they had to extend it.

Welcome to the forum. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like the idea of knocking a century through to provide an extension. I imagine that something like that must have happened with the Hundred Years’ War.

The idea is no dafter than a suggestion reportedly made by a senior MoD civil servant at a meeting in Main Building a few years ago. A heated discussion was under way about problems of electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC), what with radars, electronic countermeasures, radio-controlled drones and IEDs, and frequency-hopping radars all making their claims for different parts of the elctro-magnetic (E-M) spectrum. A senior officer said in exasperation “The trouble is, the bloody E-M spectrum just isn’t big enough”. At which the senior civil servant, presumably having a classics or humanities background, asked “Why can’t we open another one?”

I understand that the meeting ended shortly after the stunned silence that followed.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Caesar extended a year, I like the idea that the Victorians took it up a notch.ย 

Participant

Thanks all. Just trying to find my way around the forums. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Arnald.

Participant

Welcome Arnald – good to meet another C19 devotee.

I love the 19thC period to wargame. In 120 years* the tactics and technology went from absurd to ridiculous and back again.

Well, you have managed to condense elegantly into one line what took me half a page to say in the introduction to BBB …

Cheers!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

The downside of those pesky Victorians grabbing their long Nineteenth Century was that the poor old twentieth century had to cram an awful lot of misery into a mere 75 years.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Just finished painting up some 15mm figures from the 1898 Spanish American War. I am a 19thC wargamer. Chris, will look at your website.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.