Home Forums Modern Modernized T34

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know old T34/85 were modernized to some extent, even fitting laser sight gadgets and whatnot.

Was any gun upgrades ever done or more advanced ammo?

Participant

I know the Egyptians made a couple of horrendous-looking turret/gun “upgrades” like this one with a 100mm gun:

T34

but I didn’t know about the laser rangefinder upgrade – who did that?

Participant

I may have remembered incorrectly. I thought David Isby mentions it, but I just checked and he talked about infrared driving lights and not laser range finders.

Participant

I could swear I read something recently about upgraded t-34s… in a real book rather than the internet, too. I’ve checked a couple of likely sources, but nothing so far. I’ll keep looking!

Participant

Sure! Appreciate anything you might dig up.
    I am mostly curious how far a design like this can really be pushed, before it falls hopelessly behind.

Participant

Nah, nothing too exciting – I was reading about the Chinese Type 58 copy of the T-34/85. It seems they added IR lights and a modified cupola with AA HMG. A bit more here:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/China/Type-58.php

According to my Janes Armour and Artillery 1991-92 the previous edition (90-91) had a few pages about the t-34/85. Whatever I’m looking for, it’s always in the edition I don’t have!

And I just realised the T-34/100 photo didn’t stick, and it seems to have gone from the  net, so…

http://www.davidpride.com/Israeli_Armor/images/IL_Armor038.jpg

Participant

Nothing too exciting then. Do you know if a HEAT shell was ever devised for it? That’d seem like a simple enough “upgrade”.

And wow, that Egyptian tank looks like a wargamer knocked it together when he got tired of facing the horde of Tiger tanks 🙂

Participant

Well, Frank Chadwick’s Combined Arms has a HEAT data row for the 85mm gun, so it must have! In those rules it’s rated as good as the 100mm HEAT round. I’d be surprised if it didn’t have a HEAT round developed for it. Jane’s Armoured Fighting Vehicles from 1979 lists only HE, HVAP and APHE (whatever that is) available.

Participant

Oh, just noticed the Chinese had HEAT and HESH(!) rounds for their Type 56 85mm gun, which I think is near as dammit the same as the one in the T34.

Participant

First I’ve heard of a HESH round for those but fitting new ammunition to an old gun is a pretty time-honoured tradition of extending the lifespan of the gun so who knows 🙂

I’ll chalk it up as “quite probable”.

Participant

There were a couple:

T-34/100

T-34/100

T-34/122

T-34/122

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.