Home Forums Modern New Project – Sandbox Skirmish

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And I have photographic evidence for the use of mine detectors in Aden as well (lucky that I’ve got those arms smuggling camels for the rebels all sorted): 

Participant

Thanks Colin,

If you’re passing through at any point and can drop by, I have a spare tube of acrylic paste that you’re welcome to have as an early Xmas present.

Participant

That’s kind Jim – I’ll let you know if I’m over your way.

This project is really coming along in leaps & bounds – it’s always a pleasure to watch someone else at work! 

Participant

Got a nice little helicopter now…perfect for case vac, spotting and liason, not to mention Special Forces. They weren’t used in Aden as they had Sioux’s and Scouts for this role but it’s a fictitious  imaginations project not the real thing, so I’m going to do what I like 😛

I had one of these little 1/100 Heller kits ages ago and made it for my AK47 Colonial Settlers army. Lovely model but bloody fiddly to glue together!

Shame no one makes a Westland Scout or Wessex in 1/100😭

Participant
    Participant

Thanks Colin

The 1/144 scale stuff is too small as the idea is to land them on the table (perfect for 10/12 mm though…..)

I’d seen the die cast Wessex before but thought they were not available any more.

Thanks for the link…have to raid the piggy bank now😂

Participant
    Participant

Mine detecting a camel, thought I’d seen it all…

Roskopf makes a 1:100 “CH-34G” (which is not appropriate for Vietnam due to side windows btw) that can be found on occasion and could then be used as a “deniable” asset.  But dang, that die cast is the pigs elbows*, grab that quick!

*not a real saying

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Here’s the patrol / anti-mine LWB Landrover conversion thus far (there’s a few more bits to add including some brackets for the wire cutter and a radio antenna).

I have kept it simple and it’s not 100% accurate but I think it looks enough like the real thing to get by?

Participant

Works for me (I’m honestly not familiar with the real thing though), I think it looks pretty cool!

Participant

Here you go. I cheated on the door panels and shifted the roll bar back a bit.

Participant

I missed this project thread earlier.  I really like all your terrain.  It looks perfect for the setting.

Participant

Thanks 

I’m thinking of adding some dirt roads, trees and scatter bits next…once I’ve painted the British figures and vehicles first.

Participant

Found this yesterday and have been playing around with ideas for a ‘drop in’ passenger base, so I can load it up with rebels or have it unloaded (I’ve done this with my AK47 vehicles before):

Participant

Loving how this is progressing – I had a nose around the Pathe news website and saw they have quite a few ‘inspiring’ films of the Era, news reports etc:

https://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/Aden

If you visit the individual pages, you can click the image to ‘stream’ the short films……

Edit: if you watch ‘Aden: British Hand Over Little Aden To South Arabian Army 1967’ there is footage of the Mine Protected Land Rovers with Saladins passing by an honour guard of the Sudanese Camel Corps towards the end!

BTW, mine protected Land Rovers……hmmm, so basically when you get blown sky high, madly flipping end over end, the roll bars will save you – especially with the cushioned bits just over your head attached to the bars….. Hmmm, puts the notorious Snatch landies of more recent times into perspective!

Participant

A potential source of inspiration for you….

Amazon Prime has a series titled The Last Post, about Royal Military Police in Aden in 1965. I’m only two episodes in, but it seems decent enough, and shows some interesting kit.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Participant

All this is looking great Jim – more fantastic work!

BTW, mine protected Land Rovers……hmmm, so basically when you get blown sky high, madly flipping end over end, the roll bars will save you – especially with the cushioned bits just over your head attached to the bars….. Hmmm, puts the notorious Snatch landies of more recent times into perspective!

Those were my thought exactly – I think ‘protected’ is a teeny-tiny bit optimistic … still a damn sight better than the alternative I guess

Participant

A potential source of inspiration for you….

Amazon Prime has a series titled The Last Post, about Royal Military Police in Aden in 1965. I’m only two episodes in, but it seems decent enough, and shows some interesting kit.

It’s very good, albeit a bit of a stretch.

Participant

Definitely a bit of wishful thinking on land rover mine protection but I guess it must have worked?

There were similar adaptations in Rhodesia and South Africa and I’ve seen photos where the wheels were blown off rather than the whole thing going up (although I’ve seen other photos that are the opposite too) 

Participant

I’d seen clips from The Last Post and was going to watch it when it was on but got vetoed by the other half, who has undisputed mastery of the TV zapper 

I’ll see if I can catch it on the iPlayer or whatever it’s called (I don’t watch much TV as you can tell)

Participant

And there are loads of relevant film clips out there as well, as you have found out too. The Pathe stuff is brilliant. I found a great one the other day about the Aden Protectorate Levies:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4NClDMgeM

It briefly got me all fired up to get some Peter Pig 8th Army figures and do some headswaps. I couldn’t find any suitable heads though so gave up on that one.

One thing I did think of was just assembling an imaginations themed local defence force with some headgear of my choosing.

The WW1 Belgian Grenadier heads looked rather natty?

Participant

The weekend is getting close, so I’ve been planning the next piece of terrain for the Sandbox Skirmish project.

I have a couple of 28mm scale oasis templates from Charlie Foxtrot which I’m going to scale down to 15mm, using the smaller plastic palm trees that I found the other day and/or some Woodlands Scenics plastic tree armatures for a more arid desert watering hole effect.

It’s a bit of an experiment to see if I can use them for 15mm features instead of 28mm. I bought these last year to use for my Back of Beyond terrain but didn’t use them, so they might as well be re-deployed!

Participant

I am late to the party as usual, but this looks like a great project and I will be following with interest.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

Welcome aboard!

The latest news is that I’ve now added that 1/100th scale diecast Westland Wessex to the flight line, although I could only run to one model rather than the two that I wanted. They could lift 16 men with their basic kit, however, so that’s enough for a decent air landed patrol:

I’ll just have to re-paint it in appropriate sand and green camouflage and work out a decent flight stand arrangement. It’s winging it’s way from an eBay seller in Germany, so probably won’t arrive for a week or so. In the meantime, I have more terrain to make and a British infantry platoon to paint.

I’m sorely tempted to convert a couple of sections of Peter Pig professionals with some beret heads, to make a Royal Marine Commando unit now 

Participant

Right, got all the bits together for a palm tree oasis blitz over the weekend.

I’ll try to get this lot done by the end of the weekend, assuming other things don’t get in the way, as usual.

Participant

Spent ages pruning the plastic flash from the cheapo palm trees but have now sprayed them using rattle cans of Humbrol Grass Green and Halfords Camo Brown. I will drybrush and wash them later.

I’ve also glued together the bases and the terrain templates, ready for texturing and drilling holes for the trees.

Participant

Now with porridge coated Jaffa cakes 

Participant

Getting there slowly but it’s a bit tedious at the moment.

The bases are painted and dry brushed. The holes for the trees have been drilled. The ponds have been painted. Now doing some dry brushing on the trees to tart them up before they get attached to the bases. I think I’ll need to add some flock or static grass or something to make them look a bit less boring though, as well as some extra highlights to pick up the texture on the bases?

Participant

All finished now, which is good, as I can now get some figures painted and have a break from terrain making 

Participant
    Participant

The final scene looks really nice kind of a dawn lighting.

When I opened this I thought, foot print.
    The trees look very good, do you have any unpainted trees for comparison?

Participant

That’s my freezing cold, dusty and gloomy garage…very atmospheric 

Participant
    Participant

Very impressive work Jim!

The painted palm trees look so much better.

Participant

Thanks. Next time I’ll buy some without all the plastic flash, as I’m still finding bits to trim off! 

Next up are some basic fields and some linear features of some sort…rows of stones pretending to be walls, drainage ditches / irrigation channels etc.

Participant

Now doing some simple small fields and garden plots for the bad guys to grow their veggies:

My grandad used to tell me that when he flew over fields like this in his Hawker Hart, he got the rear gunner to strafe the piles of rocks on the field edges, as that’s where the Pathan snipers used to hide before shooting holes in his plane!

Participant

My grandad used to tell me that when he flew over fields like this in his Hawker Hart, he got the rear gunner to strafe the piles of rocks on the field edges, as that’s where the Pathan snipers used to hide before shooting holes in his plane!

That is a great anecdote,  I love to hear that sort of little detail from vets.  I used to talk to a Vietnam era FAC quite a bit (RIP) and he had all sorts of great little tidbits like that which you will never read about.  Also really helps give you a perspective on day-to-day living in the service.

Say, do you have a link to where you purchsed those palm trees?  They look waaaay better than the cake toppers I have bought in the past, which are all bent over as they seem to have very bad backs…

Participant

It was so long ago I can’t remember, although it was via eBay so I can go back and check.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.