Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Rebel Moon – Netflix

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just come across this two part (4+hour) film and been very impressed.
    The bad guys technology reminds me a bit of the Riddick universe with the good guys being Serenity and Viking saga mixed in.
    There is even a wonderful 40K Imperial Guard moment complete with banner waving foot on rock!

Effects are great though focus was a bit hit and miss in part one during some of the CGI clips.

Different enough to enjoy even if the sound has you grabbing the remote sometimes.

Keymaster

I tried to watch it on 3 occasions…

Horses for courses I think.

Participant

Saw both the movies. B-grade sci-fi. Nice effects, plot a tad contrived and a mish-mash of proven ideas, acting alright, technology a mix of fantasy, feudal, modern and futuristic … Plan is for 2 movies each year for the next couple of years. I’ll keep watching it for now.

Have a great day, Frank

Have a great day, Foxtrot

I cannot say I liked it. In a way it would had just been better if GW and Netflix let him make a 40k film. I will probably watch the Snyder cut, just to see what execs throw there money at…

Participant

My wife who normally likes this sort of stuff, didn’t really enjoy it at all and can’t be bothered to watch the second movie, which speaks volumes…

Participant

I haven’t watched it but I did see Ryan George’s Pitch Meeting for it on YouTube, which is entertaining, contains major spoilers, and has persuaded me that I don’t need to renew my Netflix subscription just yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzczijDtnFY&ab_channel=PitchMeeting

Keymaster

Ha Ha, yeah that sounded fair.

Participant

Did not realise this was such a marmite film – read some of the reviews after watching it and glad we saw it first!

It’s not the highest writing quality but maybe being brought up with cheap sci-fi books (E Doc Smith anyone) this well covered the monthly fee πŸ™‚

Participant

Haven’t watched the second part yet but it is perfectly fine brain Novocain.Β  It may not be high art but it is a pleasant distraction for an hour or two.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Slow mo farming is tight!

Fossilizing nicely.

Participant

Watching Ryan George is always super easy – barely an inconvenience πŸ™‚

Participant

Everything I have heard about it makes me believe I will hate it. As I am not time rich I can’t say I am in a rush to test that theory. I hear it has some great slow motion grain cutting.

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>We watched part 2 last night hoping for an improvement on part 1. Disappointed.</p>
    I actually laughed out loud at some parts ( the coal fired boiler room on the massive spaceship and using wheels to aim the massive laser cannons).

I seemed to me like a poor retelling of The Seven Samurai.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the script that was turned down for the last three Star Wars films?

Participant

πŸ™‚ it does seem awfully like ‘300’ and ‘Watchmen’ were just lucky hits.

Keymaster

In those he just directed, but on RM he wrote and directed and produced and…

Maybe stick to directing?

Participant

Good point – maybe not up to Herodotus or Alan Moore?

[edit – but I don’t remember the Rhinos in the Herodotus version]

Participant

…the coal fired boiler room on the massive spaceship and using wheels to aim the massive laser cannons…

You missed the ‘only two main guns on the whole ship’ – I think they launched nuclear shells rather than be lasers.

These bits reminded me of 40K and Steampunk ships – the use of the wheels are an obvious plot device to take up time for the good guys to reach the objective before the village was blown away – worse story point than slowly coming around a moon – would have been way quicker to move the ship…

I think the characters have some similarity to the 7 but need to watch both again before feeling there is a good match. Was not surprised there was 7 hero figures though πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚ it does seem awfully like β€˜300’ and β€˜Watchmen’ were just lucky hits.

Never liked the Watchmen – seen it three or four times trying to enjoy it but I struggle part way through and been known to fall asleep… Maybe it’s the Doctor Manhattan powers that unbalance it for me – no idea.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.