Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Do you collect terrain in a single scale?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know many of us collect and game and various scales, it is hard with figures not to keep to a figure scale discipline, but I wondered, because terrain is so bulky, how many gamers strictly observe single scale terrain collections?

I have terrain that is intended for 10mm. but half of it would be suitable for 15mm, but I also have a trunk with 28mm stuff. For storage reasons, I am going to have to rationalize to one scale and that discipline will have an impact on my armies and possibly periods.

Participant

I’m afraid that my answer won’t help you. As I only collect figures in one scale (“Mainly28s” is a bit of a give-away), I literally only have terrain to match the 25-28mm figures I have.

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Participant

All over the place in my case I’m afraid. I started out with some 28mm when I was younger, somehow slipping in to 15mm gaming and got a few boxes of suitable terrain for that, before switching to 6mm. I couldn’t help myself and soon had some 3mm terrain, both for fantasy and sci-fi.

10mm is the only scale I don’t have any dedicated terrain for, but you never know..

In my own defence I must say that I do use quite a lot of the 28mm and 15mm terrain for 6mm games to get more use out of them, as long as they fit with the rest of the stuff on the table.

Participant

Hills and rivers are fairly scale independent. Otherwise I tend to go sub scale on terrain anyway. I have buildings in various sizes (small 6mm which also work for 2mm, and large 6mm which also work for 15s), and I’ve also got some 15mm buildings which work for 20mm too.

I have trees in two sizes, and hedges/walls are fairly generic.

I generally find smaller is better for terrain features so they are more in keeping with the ground scale.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

I only game in 15mm 1/100, so is all my terrain.

Participant

I game in a wide range of scales and have terrain to match.

I understand why people do it but I can’t bear under-scale terrain as I always end up feeling like my troops are fighting over children’s Wendy Houses!!

Each to their own though.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I game in a few different scales, but am trying to rationalise that currently!

In 28mm, I have a Frostgrave and Infinity table. Both are an isolated set up however, one being winter and the other industrial/scrap.

I then have a large range of desert scenery, which sees use at 6mm and 20mm. I have roads and buildings to distinguish scales, but the scenery elements (hills, rivers, fields) are mostly scale neutral.

Participant

I game almost entirely in 6mm WW2, 15mm ancients and 20mm WW2.  The only terrain the same that I use across the three sizes are some small hills for 15-20mm that become large hills in 6mm!  The 6mm terrain does not take up much space, neither does the 15mm ancients.  But the 20mm takes up *lots* of space!

Participant

I game in difference scales to permit games of different scope, or because of availability of items in a given scale.  I have terrain in 6mm, 15mm, 20mm, and 28mm.  I only do Vietnam in 20mm scale (due to availability of 1/72 aircraft models, as opposed to 15mm or 28mm), and much of that terrain can double over into 15mm and 28mm.  Most of my basic terrain modules can be used for any scale, with specialized roads and other items for each scale.  I also have three basic sets of modular terrain; one that has fine grass covering, one that has yellow earth, and another with yellow earth with course green grass.  The set with coarse grass only gets used for 20mm and 28mm.

Over the last couple of years, I have been running out of space for storage, and unsuccessfully tried storing some in the garage, with the result being that a squirrel moved into my 28mm Spanish fortress.  I’m at the point now, where I’ve been narrowing my range of periods, specifically with concern for terrain storage.  Additionally, as I age, my eyes slowly get worse, and I can imagine a time, when I let go of 6mm.  I suspect if 15mm starts to become a problem, that I will just standardize everything in 28mm, but I would be surprised at this point, if I have to do that.

Participant

Wherever possible I try to use terrain that is not scale dependent (trees, rivers, hills etc) but inevitably there are some features (mostly buildings) where I have to use a consistent scale. Some man made features are a bit more flexible. For example, I use some of AB’s 1/300 science fiction terrain for 15mm as it scales up.

Participant

6mm.

If I started another period, that would be 6mm too 😀

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Participant

I use the same hills, trees, rivers and roads for 15mm, 20mm and 28mm.

Buildings are in multiple scales. Existing models will often determine the scale of figures for a new project.

But for my recent modern Afghanistan project, everything would be new, so I could go with the scale I wanted. And I built a lot of buildings….

Participant

My hills, woods etc were originally for use with 15mm, but work perfectly well with 10mm. I have 10mm buildings that I use for more skirmish  and platoon sized games, whilst I now use 6mm buildings for larger games to get that feel of a village, town etc.

I used to have lots of 28mm terrain and buildings, but sold those off years ago as they took up so much storage space, which is frankly quite limited these days.

Participant

I have terrain in 15, 20 (impulse purchase, may never see the table) and 28mm. I like big battles in 15mm but prefer 28mm for skirmish and ancients.

Keymaster

how many gamers strictly observe single scale terrain collections?

Me.
    6mm stuff for my 6mm, and 15mm stuff for my 15mm.

Participant

28mm and 15mm is as low on scale as we go, got so many 28mm miniatures it kind of put the 15mm scale of what we have as not very much, thing is we have thousands of 15mm

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Participant

Two scales of terrain for me, 6mm WW2 + Scifi and 28mm Old West.

I would love to start some 10mm projects but pretty much run out of room for any thing else!

Once my daughter gets married off and leaves home that might change…….muhahahaha!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

I know many of us collect and game and various scales, it is hard with figures not to keep to a figure scale discipline, but I wondered, because terrain is so bulky, how many gamers strictly observe single scale terrain collections?

Not me I have terrain for each of the scales I play.One of the main reasons I dropped most of my 28mm and 20mm stuff was due to storage of scale specific terrain -mainly buildings, now I mainly game in 6mm & 15mm(with the odd bit of 10mm) and find that most of my generic terrain(hills, woods, rivers, roads etc) works for all three sizes and I can fit a cities worth of 6mm buildings in a couple of shoe boxes. Our gaming group has considered getting back into larger stuff but it always leads to nothing when the subject of terrain comes up.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I try to stick to 15mm… but…

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Participant

I have figures in 6mm and 28mm, and have terrain and scenery to match both.

The terrain issue is one of the things that helps me resist when I see ‘shiny, shiny’ stuff in other scales….

Participant

I have mostly 15mm terrain. Might have a few pieces about for larger, but have been giving away a lot of larger scale items to my gaming buds in the interest of space. The vast majority of my gaming is in 15mm, but also with naval and air combat I do have smaller scales and some bits for those.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.