Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic The Intersection of Simulation and Beer & Pretzels

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Over the last five years I’ve been working on a Napoleonic project that I have come to think of as:

A Command Simulation with Beer & Pretzels Combat Resolution.

I don’t know if this is really fair in either sense but it is how it strikes me. The combat is quickly resolved and highly abstracted compared to your average tactical game. The game play all basically happens at the command level as that is where the player makes all their choices.

Simulation is another “funny” term in that it means many things to many people. Empire is kinda the poster child for simulation and the two are negatively regarded by a lot of people. Many see simulation as being mired in detail and thus resulting complication. The positive of simulations is their direct link to historical circumstance while from a design stance I would argue their negative is a combination of scope creep and overreaching – i.e. simulating everything simulates what exactly?

Beer & Pretzel typically is often seen as having no relation to historical circumstance which is probably unfair but to soften that some I’d argue Beer & Pretzel plays loosely with adhering to historical circumstances or accuracy either by disregarding it or by abstracting it. The positive of Beer & Pretzel games is they are generally highly approachable, quickly learned and fun to play *as games*, i.e. as Monopoly is to real-estate Beer & Pretzel is to historical wargames.

While my project greatly abstracts unit combat and attempts to simulate command decisions, neither are implemented in a “heavy” or complex fashion. I consider the command portion a simulation because I believe the problems presented to the player are the historical problems and the mechanics use historical motivators rather than falling into special case rules or worse, non-historical motivators to drive historical results.

An example of the latter can be seen in Command Points and in Command Radius. A fundamental criticism of Command Points is relating them to the issuing or orders. As yourself, have you ever read an account of a battle where a general lamented how he didn’t have a method for issuing an order? Or, better yet, when he thought to himself, “I issued the attack order to the I Corps first because it was most important and I knew whichever order I issued first had the best chance of success.” Well, I have never read such accounts.

By seeking to merge simplicity, approachability and historical motivators I am wondering: Can these two things [Simulation and Beer & Pretzels] be successfully combined and do justice to the positives of either? Would anyone be satisfied?

Participant

My guess is yes.  to take my favourite example, Seastrike takes about 5 minutes to pick up, one game to learn and a lifetime to master.  Does it model target acquisition in 6 steps, no!

Dammit, chess simulates the interplay of combined arms and the near fatal effect of decapitation in ancient armies.  You don’t need complex mechanics to simulate things, but there is a tradeoff between granularity and complexity.

Participant

or worse, non-historical motivators to drive historical results.An example of the latter can be seen in Command Points and in Command Radius. A fundamental criticism of Command Points is relating them to the issuing or orders. As yourself, have you ever read an account of a battle where a general lamented how he didn’t have a method for issuing an order? Or, better yet, when he thought to himself, “I issued the attack order to the I Corps first because it was most important and I knew whichever order I issued first had the best chance of success.” Well, I have never read such accounts.

Good point, and of course I have never read such accounts either! But primary historical sources are often as much about what is left unrecorded, since the writer assumes the everyday and obvious doesn’t need to be remarked upon. Whilst I cannot immeadiately find you a historical source, I’ll eat my hat if even the most successful battlefield commanders didn’t steadily develop tunnel vision as the battle developed, and concentrated their nervous energy, and fleetest ADC’s, on ensuring a particular Corps carried out their wishes! Which is a long winded way of saying, the game’s command activiation mechanic, in forcing the player to prioritise his impact on the action, is realistic in its effect if not in its format or phrasing.

I think the answer to your question lies in market segmentation. Yes some wargamers prefer detailed simulation a la Empire V. But I suspect most are reasonably happy with ‘beer and pretzels’ thinly disguised with a veneer of historical authenticity.

Probably the most successful are those which provide the toolkit to do either, so that tired, time poor or ‘fun first – history second’ gamers can throw down a ‘pick up game’ fast, but those blessed with a compulsive-obsessive period tragic in their group can allow him to take the time prior to the game to add the period and campaign chrome through tweaking the unit stats and characteristics, and delving through the tool kit of special rules and add-ons to fit that particular battle. As you may know, I consider Black Powder, and its stable-mate Hail Caesar, to be such a happy medium!

So, FWIW, my advice would be to have the ‘beer and pretzels’ aspect prominent during the actual game play, and the ‘simulation’ aspect as a voluntary add-on before the game starts…

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

The intersection is in the game system and mechanics.

Whether the game is “beer & Pretzels” or an effort to simulate Napoleonic war,  they share the same medium: they are expressed in the very same processes of play. Empire I-V, Black Powder, “fast-play” About Bonaparte and Napoleon share a number of mechanics with Kriegspiel.  So what makes a die roll in one game an easy way of resolving combat and when is it recreating some aspect of Napoleonic combat?  How do we know?

It isn’t in how many mechanics there are in one vs the other, and simulation quality isn’t in the amount of details crammed in a game system.  If the judgment  is by ‘feel’, then the simplest game system could feel ‘more real’ to someone than a more complex game. It remains personal and an idiosyncratic term.  If it is all by feel, then it is difficult to determine what would constitute a Beer & Pretzel game other than taste, ‘Do you like it or don’t you?’ and perhaps by counting the number of separate game processes in play with some cut-off point in numbers, where anything with lower numbers is automatically a “Beer & Pretzel” game.  Or perhaps by popular vote, majority labeling each game.

Participant

I think this perfectly feasible. The problem with the vernacular use of the word simulation amongst wargamers is we tend to think it means we have to account for every last bullet at Borodino. Poppycock!

If you are writing a “simulation” the first thing you have to ask is “Simulation of what?” If the answer is “command problems for Napoleonic divisional commanders” then you are, by definition, not simulating, say, the marginally increased effectiveness of the 57th’s skirmishers compared to the 34th. This can be left to the dice in a very B&P combat system. “Grande Armee” is very much in this vein. You are moving and fighting with divisions. So all the fiddly battalion level stuff just gets abstracted out in favor of “roll D6 hitting on a 4+.”

Likewise if you are writing for a battalion commander the whys and wherefores of the attack matter little. I’ve been ordered to take the hill so in I go. Should the hill be taken, am I strong enough to do it,  shoudl the attack have taken place later/earlier? Who knows? I’m just a lowly colonel trying to get through the war alive with maybe a little glory and some loot.

Participant

Sparker,

I’ll eat my hat if even the most successful battlefield commanders didn’t steadily develop tunnel vision as the battle developed, and concentrated their nervous energy, and fleetest ADC’s, on ensuring a particular Corps carried out their wishes! Which is a long winded way of saying, the game’s command activiation mechanic, in forcing the player to prioritise his impact on the action, is realistic in its effect if not in its format or phrasing.

Tunnel vision sure, but in wargames you wind up with players doing this:

• Let’s see, if I attempt to move the 3rd Brigade first it is more likely to fail because I’m so far away from them and then I’ll be done for the turn, so instead I’ll move the 2nd Brigade since they are within 4″ of me, then move the 1st Brigade because they are within 6″ and then I’ll attempt to move the 3rd Brigade last.

And wargamers do that *every turn*.

While I am sure one can find plenty of examples of a battlefield commander saying something akin to, “Bring me my fastest and most trustworthy courier!” to send off some important message, that is far different than the above example and it is also far less common than another typical wargamer example:

• Well, my first target roll is low, so I’ll use that on the X unit knowing that it might be the only order I issue for the next twenty minutes because apparently I only have one courier who owns a horse. Then, if by chance I make my other rolls, I’ll be able to issue orders to my other formations.

The reality is that *most of the time* commanders issued orders to all their troops to do all the desired things with a fair expectation that the desired action would occur. If commanders did not feel there was any likely hope of response to their orders then over several hundred years the system would have changed fundamentally rather than just evolutionarily as it has. No large system of people does something that fails to achieve its most basic goal the majority of the time without revising the system substantially.

Please understand my constant references to something like, “most of the time,” as I’m willing to grant there are lots of examples where the opposite is true but I am talking about the overwhelming majority of orders issued. There are many C&C systems in wargames that would fail to have a battalion march across a parade ground successfully during peacetime. And that is poor to my mind.

in forcing the player to prioritise his impact on the action, is realistic in its effect if not in its format or phrasing

Basically this is what I’m objecting to. Forcing a historical outcome by providing ahistorical motivations to my mind is a poor method of design, it is not always avoidable but I think better design results when historical motivations drive historical behaviors rather than the aforementioned alternative.

Participant

I think this perfectly feasible.

I hope so.

The problem with the vernacular use of the word simulation amongst wargamers is we tend to think it means we have to account for every last bullet at Borodino.

Indeed and if you simulate everything you likely simulate nothing as you create innate conflict through contradiction. It is hard. Sometimes Davout micromanaged his battalions, sometimes Wellington did. So should every corps commander in the game be required to at every opportunity? Well, hmm that isn’t realistic either because there were times that Wellington and Davout let them do their own thing… and here we have the problem. I can simulate that it was done but do so at an unrealistic level of occurrence, or I can remove it completely – both of those are easy. Hard is trying to allow it to occur without requiring it to occur. And I think that is what has dogged a lot of “simulation” designs over the years.

Participant

Hard is trying to allow it to occur without requiring it to occur. And I think that is what has dogged a lot of “simulation” designs over the years.

Well, one thing many designers seem to hate and hope to squash with the rules is ‘ahistorical moves and tactics’.  This is particularly hard when a major rationale for wargaming is doing something different from the actual commanders, asking ‘what if?’ to see if other moves and tactics can do better.  Of course, most simulations are built to explore those very ‘what if’s?’

It is always a tension between what could have been done differently and those things that simply were not possible given the times.  The long discussions about the 1866 Austrians’ shock tactics is a good example.  Did Austrian commanders try other methods? How often? When and where were they able to?  If they didn’t, does that mean the players should be allowed to use other tactics?  IF the answer is not, based on the historical events, how interesting a game is that?

Best, McLaddie

Participant

That example comes back to what you are trying to simulate.  If you want to be put into the position of your real life counterpart in a short war where the Ostriches allowed themselves to be a generation behind in hardware and tactical thinking, then there must be some compulsion to use attack columns.

However, if you are willing to broaden the remit and allow the Osteriches time to learn from their mistakes, adopting the company column supporting a strong skirmish line would give you an interesting tactical study in how to play to the strengths of a minie type muzzle loader and against the weaknesses of a 1st gen breechloader.

It is perhaps like giving the brits centurions and the regimental combat group in Normandy – not wrong, but simulating something else.

Participant

I’ll eat my hat if even the most successful battlefield commanders didn’t steadily develop tunnel vision as the battle developed, and concentrated their nervous energy, and fleetest ADC’s, on ensuring a particular Corps carried out their wishes! 

I think that depends on what you mean by tunnel vision. If you are talking about keeping their eye on their objectives, not letting other events side-track them, then yes, tunnel vision.

However, I don’t think the picture you paint of how CinCs operated is accurate.  Napoleon didn’t issue ANY orders in the first from 7am to 11:30 am at Austerlitz, other than to personally release Soult to advance at 9:30am.  At Jena Napoleon spent a good portion of this time waiting, kicking around a Prussian drum according to an Imperial Guardsman Barres.  Bagration tells the story of the Battle of Novi where Suvorov napped through the first part of the battle as messages came in, issuing no orders. Once he had heard the reports he was expecting, he hopped up and gave several orders and when to the front.  Longstreet and several Napoleonic generals all observed that once the battle commenced, the only two things a commander could do is decide when and where to send the reserves and when to retreat.

However, that doesn’t make for a particularly interesting game, with most movement and combat administrative actions with few decisions for the players.  I think that is why even games like Snappy Nappy and Volley & Bayonet, ostensibly army-level games spend 95% of the rules on tactical issues and only 5% on what could be termed command issues.  Not a bad thing, but obviously a game vs representing history issue.

Best Regards, McLaddie

Participant

It is perhaps like giving the brits centurions and the regimental combat group in Normandy – not wrong, but simulating something else.

It is simulating a ‘what if?’ of a different sort.  

Participant

McLaddie, you are steering towards the morass of the Variable Length Bound.

There be dragons.

Participant

mmmm VLB… tastes like the tears of unicorns, if only VLB were as real as unicorns…

Participant

<span style=”color: #585858;”>McLaddie, you are steering towards the morass of the Variable Length Bound.    </span>There be dragons.

Gaaah! Thanks for the safety tip.  I have to watch my imagination. It runs away with me sometimes.

A more sober and responsible gamer.

McLaddie

Participant

What’s a VLB?

Participant

What’s a VLB?

Oh hell.

OK, so the long and the short of it was that a man named George Jeffreys came up with this concept called “the variable length bound” where the amount of time that occurred during any given turn – called a “bound” – was variable. Instead of having a fixed turn length determine when you got to make your next decision, instead you made your first set of decisions – AKA orders – and those orders were in effect until a “change of situation” or COS occurred.

Sorta like, “I send my cavalry down the road,” so the cavalry move down the road until they come within range of your infantry which is considered a COS and that COS allows me to make a new decision. The act of moving down the road may have taken ten minutes or ten hours.

The problem with the VLB is that since it does away with time as a constant, it becomes difficult to conceptualize game flow. It is sorta like saying that you are going to allow the water to flow without structure to guide it and just know that wherever the water goes is where it is supposed to be. The VLB may very well be the true Zen of wargaming. It is also a unicorn because thus far it has proven impossible to provide rules for that can be executed by the masses.

Participant

What’s a VLB?

A chimera.

Persued by the delusional.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I store my wine in bottles, don’t need aphorismas.

VLB is a fantastic concept which really doesn’t seem workable.  I used to have an MsDos game on carrier war in the pacific where you could advance the game 5 mins, 15 mins, 1 hour, till nightfall, till sunrise or till something happens.

That seems to have been the only succesful implementation of VLB in history.

Participant

VLB works if a computer is keeping track of all events and their relative timings, and letting commanders know when messengers arrive or they see something through their telescope. That stops players reacting to stuff they wouldn’t really know about.

The old Peter Turcan wargames worked like this. You were Napoleon at Waterloo or Borodino. You issue your orders, and then you get a flow of messages from your Corps commanders, usually asking for reinforcements. The trouble is, nothing happens for long periods as you kick that Prussian drum around. Your only decisions are when and where to send in reserves.

Kreigspiel also works exactly like this, but it is a big burden on the umpire.

Imagine how tedious it is to put all the events accurately into the computer for a tabletop game, and the end result, if realistic, is not a very exciting game.

Participant

In the finest traditions f the internet we are deviating a bit here, but most campaigns are run, de facto, if dot de jure, by the VLB.

The umpire gets your orders for a week or a month or whatever.  He then letsv people know as things happen.  It seems to me that it works in simple systems, but it cannot handle the enormous range of possibilities that you get playing toy soldiers.

Participant

In the finest traditions [of] the internet we are deviating a bit here…

Indeed. So to bring us back a bit:

Can these two things [Simulation and Beer & Pretzels] be successfully combined and do justice to the positives of either? Would anyone be satisfied?

Mark (ExtraCrispy) points out that he believes the two can *necessarily* be combined through choosing what you will specifically simulate.

I tend to agree with him but I am biased as it is my hope / cause. The second part of the question is:

Would anyone be satisfied?

And that is of great concern to me.

Participant

Someone would be satisfied, but the farther you stray from “the mainstream” the more likely you are to have dissatisfied members.  This is why whenever McDonalds creates anything remotely palateable it gets removed from the market after you have tried it once.

Participant

This is why whenever McDonalds creates anything remotely palateable

Has that ever happened?

I’m not  a food snob, and I’ll eat at the Big M, but I wouldn’t call it a fine dining experience.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Well, I am and I won’t, but I do remember three times in the last 30 years when something palatable appeared on their menus, only to be pulled, admittedly one of those was in Indonesia.

By its nature, increasing abstraction is going to cut out something that someone thinks is indispensable.   Apparently Polemos Napoleonics are much criticised because they do not allow you to choose column line or square for your units.

Participant

Apparently Polemos Napoleonics are much criticised because they do not allow you to choose column line or square for your units.

Are they of a scale that should allow your units to use column, line or square? Because if you’re pretending to be much more than a colonel in a Napoleonic army, what formation the damn units are in aren’t your concern

Participant

Just as Peter would say it.  But this is the problem with abstraction, some dopey rivet counter wants to know why he doesn’t get a bonus for having the grenadiers company in the front rank.

Participant

Just as Peter would say it. But this is the problem with abstraction, some dopey rivet counter wants to know why he doesn’t get a bonus for having the grenadiers company in the front rank.

Stuff like that used to bother me too. Abstraction was anathema.

Then I had a flash of enlightenment – it’s all bloody pretend anyway, so why sweat the small stuff?

Participant

Are they of a scale that should allow your units to use column, line or square? Because if you’re pretending to be much more than a colonel in a Napoleonic army, what formation the damn units are in aren’t your concern

Any time I’ve said that (I’m not Peter or a Polemos player) I always have someone tell me about how Davout chose the formations of damn near every battalion at Auerstädt. OK… sure. But he didn’t do that every time any of them did anything, nor did he do it at every battle. There isn’t enough time in the day. And as Bill [McLaddie] likes to point out, army commanders who did have time didn’t do it either, perhaps because they trusted “the machine” or perhaps because they knew it was impossible to micromanage hundreds of individual units over a several mile front. In either case we fall into the trap of not only doing it but *requiring* it.

Participant

In either case we fall into the trap of not only doing it but *requiring* it.

I don’t. Haven’t *required* it for years.

It was very liberating getting away from all those ‘realistic’ 1980s rulesets.

Participant

I agree with Not Connard Sage when he said, “It was very liberating getting away from all those ‘realistic’ 1980s rulesets.” How true that is. I started historical miniature wargaming in 1982, and it was all about ‘realistic’ rules back then. Only in the last few years have I been “liberated”, and I have backslid a few times and thought that I have to play those 1980s rules because they allow this tiny detail to be shown in the game, but now I’m free of that, and it has made wargaming a lot more enjoyable. One day it just dawned on me, rules really only need to represent the big reasons why battles turned out the way they did, the little stuff can get lost in the wash. I also don’t have to micro-manage every thing (actually I hated doing that with the older rules). So I do think a simpler set of rules can still get the big factors right and be a good simulation (if we can ever really simulate combat with toy soldiers).

Jeff

Participant

Great that you guys are enjoying your liberation from petty questions of column, line and square. Personally I find it interesting to have to ensure my battalions are in what seem to be the most appropriate formation for the tactical circumstances they are currently in, and that are foreseeable….(well, not squares, to be honest, they sort of come in automatically if required as an emergency response in the opponents phase). But I don’t think having this petit-tactical role necessarily rules out a higher level role of deciding what my grand tactical strategy might be…because there are perfectly good rulesets out there right now that deliver both!

Yes – I’m one of those that wants their cake and eat it – micro managing the small stuff at Battalion level, but also concerned with the grand sweep of the overall Corps. Just like Davout, or Wellington…

Participant

VLB is lots of things, but it’s hardly a chimera.  Off the top of my head Crossfire and Grand Piquet have been directly influenced by George’s VLB system, but there are others.

George never got it to work as a total system outside of earshot, but it has been influential in a number of ways.  Sort of like the first rockets that crashed, but inspired and shaped how the later, successful ones worked.

Participant

Sparker: I care about formation. Just not when I’m commanding at Salamanca. I play tactical games where the reverse is true. I care very much about local conditions and formations. Then what I don’t care about is the army commanders issues – like the other flank.

The usual down fall is as you say: I want to command 250,000 men, crushing the Empire and making them beg for peace….and oh yes I think that battalion should move into line now….and this brigade should have a thicker skirmish screen…and this battery should rotate 20 degrees clockwise…

If Davout is deploying skirmishers for every battalion I think what he needs is a good officer purge…

Participant

The deep fried rodent has the right of it.  For all my prating, what was the first thing I wanted to do with a brilliantly abstracted game like Kingmaker?  Why, fight the battles with toy soldiers!  It is true, I know I should only command two tiers down, but I also know that if I add to the skirmish line here, and borrow that other division’s battery there, as master of all Europe I will prevail again.

To argue in terms of using command tokens or the like, I find that at work I can often do my subordinates jobs better than they.  But if I do, first my job (which, to my surprise turns out to be quite important) gets neglected but, and this may be more significant, my chance of an embarassing blunder is commonly higher than a subordinate’s and, whilst I am expending PIPs on their job, the minimal degree to which I am doing my job comes with an enormous chance of a blunder at my level.

Whilst leading cavalry charges, how could Ney tell Jerome to stop assaulting Hougomont and march up behinnd the cavalry screen?

Participant

Whilst leading cavalry charges, how could Ney tell Jerome to stop assaulting Hougomont and march up behinnd the cavalry screen?

The example I always like to use is Jena where Ney, against orders, attacks head on with the couple battalions and couple squadrons of his advanced guard while his *two whole divisions* march to their appointed positions towards the rear and …wait… cause hmm, “Hey, anyone know what we’re supposed to do once we get here? Where’s the boss man anyway?”

The examples of Davout micromanaging his battalions at Auerstädt or Wellington adjusting positions of battalions here and there throughout the day are not incorrect, it is just that for every one of those examples there are literally hundreds or thousands of times when the subordinates did it on their own. So are we setting out to simulating the model or the exception?

One of my objections to many rule sets (regardless of their category) is that they address many common situations through special-case rules. My issue with this is that then playing the game is practically a quiz on the rules where the player who knows the various special-case rules better and can apply them to his advantage is likely to prevail. Talk about attempting to design systems where you “play history” but end up “playing the rules”.

I played a game at a convention earlier this year. It was an Empire successor rule set. I was going to attack some troops in line, I was in column at the moment. Before moving to contact, I asked, “Do these rules favor attacking in line or column.” I got a long rambling response as to how the French always attacked in column and the English always attacked and defended in line. Yeah, that’s nice, depends on who you read but in any case, immaterial to my question: Do I get a benefit for attacking in column? Yes. OK.

One has to ask themselves, when playing a tactically nuanced game and attempting to “play the history” whose history is represented. We can all debate about columns and lines until we die, but as this pertains to rule development, such things presume the players will have the same perspective as the designer on such matter. No matter what position is taken, if the player has has a different historical bias than the designer, then that player will be forced to play the rules, not the history.

Participant

So I do think a simpler set of rules can still get the big factors right and be a good simulation (if we can ever really simulate combat with toy soldiers).”

Well, if we can ‘really simulate’ with silicon chips and electrical wiring, we can simulate with toy soldiers and combat charts. It is just a matter of what and how much.

Simulations are complete abstractions, almost by definition:  an artificial reproduction of something else.  The problem with broad abstractions is that they tend to gray out any identifiable connection with reality–or leave the stage so open, anything can be substituted.  Pretending is about the relationships between play and ‘the real thing.’  That’s what simulations are about.  Any successful pretending requires props, details, context. For wargamers, those recognizable elements of history and combat.

Simulation’ is a broad term. But simulation is, by definition, pretending. All simulations are “tools that give you ersatz (as opposed to real) experience.”  

–Marc Prensky, Education and Training Simulator “Interactive Pretending: An Overview of Simulation” Digital Game-based Learning  2007

It is just a matter of knowing how simulations work [all simulations require the user to act ‘as if’ the simulation is real]. It is knowing how pretending works  [the game designer’s ‘magic circle’ or ‘the fourth wall’]  and how game systems support both.

Participant

One of my objections to many rule sets (regardless of their category) is that they address many common situations through special-case rules. My issue with this is that then playing the game is practically a quiz on the rules where the player who knows the various special-case rules better and can apply them to his advantage is likely to prevail.

You got that right! Although I’m not a huge of FOW, a lot of my very Battlefront loyal mates are shaking their heads over the large increase of ‘special case’ rules that only the tournament geek can bother to remember.

The problem though with having rules that only cover 99% of probabilities is that the one time you find the rules force you to do something silly or ahistorical – that’s the one time your clubs hyper-critical grognard is watching! Thereafter any mention of that ruleset will be met by snorts and eye-rolls from that direction!

Participant

I like FoW but I ditch a lot of the silly rules for this or that unit. The base game is fun, and I only play scenarios, not points, and with my mates.

Another under appreciated skill is running a game. As GM I try to make sure you understand my thinking so you can play intelligently. For example, in my Vietnam game I tell people, hand to hand is a bad idea. No really, it’s a total crap shoot. It’s an opposed die roll but at that distance a lot of factors don’t matter. It’s more about numbers than anything. There’s a reason you have a rifle…

Reminds me of a WW2 naval game I played. I know my history but in my mind ships come in three categories: big ships I know the name of, ships that look big and all others. I had explained my relative knowledge to my team so they put me in charge of the convoy guard. I was attacked and responded in force. Turns out I got pulled out of position by a Z Boat (IIRC). Which is a 20 foot plywood thing that we sank just by looking at it wrong. Kinda ruined the game for our side. Compare that to a Johnny Reb III game I played. Good US cavalry deep behind enemy lines. The militi have some hasty works – hay bales and the like. Not knowing the rules I ask – preferred way to attack? Charge, dismount, endrun? I got a good brief pros and cons for each, but without the GM “deciding” for me. Basically either go around or dismount. If you want to fight charge not the right option. Good GM. Did I mention it was brief? And to the point?

Participant

The problem though with having rules that only cover 99% of probabilities is that the one time you find the rules force you to do something silly or ahistorical – that’s the one time your clubs hyper-critical grognard is watching! Thereafter any mention of that ruleset will be met by snorts and eye-rolls from that direction!

Sounds like the expectations for that rule set [or all rules sets] is pretty damn high.  I wonder who set the bar that high–and why?

Participant

I wonder who set the bar that high–and why?

Well I should probably recognise that in my case our resident club critic has had a personality by-pass…but it does get to me all the same when what you think of as a great set of rules that you could all play together gets written off.  or half the club are scared to use, because of one anomalous situation seized on by that individual. You know – that one that every club seems to have who, despite never actually running a game himself, somehow has assumed the role of deciding whats hot and what’s not – until he loses with a ‘hot’ set, of course…

Sorry, this has degenerated into a bit of a rant, but my point is that if designing a set of rules, allow them to be defensible to critics if you make necessary shortcuts or decide not to cover that last percentile of possibilities…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.