Home Forums Modern Aotrs Shipyards Moderns Release Thread

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 7 hours, 11 minutes ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Aotrs Shipyards sells prints direct (contact us via Facebook or email) and takes printing commissions. Aotrs Shipyards also has a webstore on Shapeways.com, a 3D print house which had production and shipping facilities located in the USA and the Netherlands.

Facebook page

Aotrs Shipyards Task Force – join the group to be able to download the direct-print catalogue (beta).

Hello, TWW moderns users! I am Aotrs Commander, the owner of Aotrs Shipyards (see above!) I’ll be posting my 144th moderns releases here from now on (having defected from TMP) as well as Facebook. I produce 144th scale modern armour (10 or 12mm depending on who you talk to). They are available directly from me (contact me via Facebook) or from my webstore at Shapeways (while that remains a viable option, but who knows how long that is, given their recent apparent direction.

This past year, I have been moving more towards the direct sales end, give Shapeways made a big price hike last year; as this requires me to print out each and every one of my models again to log the time, it has been slow going, but for the moderns side, the end is in sight! I have taken the opportunity to update the direct sales models to a new standard of locking turrets, which key in so the turrets don’t fall out. New releases on Shapeways will be at this standard, but the updated older models are exclusive to the direct sales.

I try to release at least one moderns model each month (ideally two or three variants if I can, but that’s not always practical!), usually around the second week of the month. (I also do scifi, both 144th and starships, which go into their own thread in the scifi parts of this forum, usually the following week each month, but not always!)

You can find the full back-catalogue at Shapeways, or by joining the Aotrs Shipyards Task Group on Facebook (which was, annoyingly, the only way FB would let me upload a file of sufficient size and update it for everyone to be able to look at). As mention, the back catalogue is not completed yet – like everything else, these thing take time, and even getting the photos in is a long job, given it all has to fit around the regular work, but it is at least complete! Anyone interested in something not currently priced up need only to contact me and I can fast track that to be sorted.

Right, blither out of the way, to the actual release!

Moderns Release: September 2019: FV103 Spartan (144th)

Slightly belated due to various issues, including losing the back half of Saturday afternoon when this should have gone out to futilely trying to fix my SD card reader which died between one day and the next, here is this month’s moderns release.

Just a single one this time – between rebuilding a backlog and commissions – the FV103 Spartan in 144th!

FV103 Spartan

Direct price: £3.75
    Shapeways price: $5.63 (£5.55) Link

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo as always of the Replicator 2 direct sales version. This is the new silver material, which as you can see, is much better than previous ones for photographs! We’ll be sticking to this material as long as we can get it.

Next month’s moderns may also be a bit late between commissions and October being a busy time of the year. There are a couple of options on the cards; the FV438 Swingfire is now in the backlog queue, and the Kodiak AEV and the Mann Kat 1 truck are next on my list, so it will likely be one of the three!

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Moderns Release: October 2019: AEV3 Kodiak Armoured Engineering Vehicle (144th)

Just squeaking in under the wire! It has been a busy month, between one holiday and the birthday celebrations for my 40th and working on this month’s release, the Kodiak!

This was a commission from Panzer-Shop.nl. The Shipyards has been, for the last couple of months, in partnership with Panzer-Shop.nl; they are producing under license 160th versions of selected Shipyards models (with a slightly higher level of detail, because of their better printers), adding to their own range of 160th models. If 160th is your scale, I highly recommend them over Shapeways, they are very competitive price-wise and the printing quality is much better! Find the here: https://www.panzer-shop.nl/en_GB/

(The Shipyards will continue to be producing and selling 144th scale models from the direct prints and from Shapeways.)

The Kodiak was extremely difficult, since the near-complete lack of technical drawings (I had barely enough to make a rough start to do it at all) meant that I had to do it by eye.

One of the concessions made to that was I have not put a weapon on this version of the Kodiak – the majority of the useful source material didn’t have guns anyway, and of those that did, it was impossible to get a clear look (as there was only a couple of top-down shots and nowhere near enough to see what I was working with). I won’t rule it out for future versions, but it will require people finding me some more source material to work from!

(And then, of course, I had to go back and finish off the 144th version!)

I also couldn’t make the turrets locking on this one. For obvious reasons, the in-transit arm would have been impossible to do that on anyway, but the point of rotation on the lifted arm is too shallow in the hull, and too small in the arm base itself to get that to work, so I had to do best I could – the problem is, of course, exacerbated by crane arms and such being the most top-heavy and usually wanting a nice deep post-hole, but on the Rep 2 version at least, it manages!

So, without more ado, here it is:

Kodiak AEV3 Armoured Engineering Vehicle

Direct price: £7.00
    Shapeways price: $13.56 (£13.22) Link

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Photo, as always, of the Replicator 2 version. (Apologises for the extra whitebox space – this is technically the modified image for my Facebook catalogue, but for some reason, the forum wouldn’t take the normal image, and Smugmug didn’t want to see to process it either (I don’t know!))

On the plus side, the Man Kat trucks are also done, 4×4 and 6×6, open-topped and closed, which gives me either next month’s release or some stuff in the backlog, we’ll see how things go next month!

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Moderns Release: November 2019: Man Kat 1 Truck (144th)

Back on schedule, this month’ release is the Man Kat 1 truck!

This release is four variants – by 4×4 and 6×6 each, with open-topped and covered.

Mat Kat 1 (4×4)

Direct price: £5.70

Shapeways price: $9.49 (£8.85) Link

Mat Kat 1 (4×4) (open)

Direct price: £5.20

Shapeways price: $7.75 (£7.23) Link

Mat Kat 1 (6×6)

Direct price: £5.80

Shapeways price: $12.66 (£11.80) Link

Mat Kat 1 (6×6) (open)

Direct price: £5.40

Shapeways price: $9.10 (£8.48) Link

Photos, as per usual, of the Replicator 2 versions.

Next month’s release is still undecided, I’m still finishing other projects. It’ll likely be something that will be (apparently!) simple, possibly another CVR(T) variant so I can claw back some breathing space – I haven’t given a thought for what 144 sci-fi to do for Hammerhead in March, and if I am going to do something entirely new, I need to clear some space to do it! (And December is also a short work month for various reasons.)

Thomaston
    Participant

These models has some nice details. I’m by the tyre threads.

Tired is enough.

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

These models has some nice details. I’m by the tyre threads.

Thanks!

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Moderns Release: December 2019: FV438 Swingfire (144th)

Merry Christmas (or appropriate other festival as applies), all!

So, last moderns release of the year; because of various issues (including commissions and family-related issues), we’re going to dip into that stocking that is the backlog, and out comes… The FV438 Swingfire in 144th!

FV438 Swingfire

Direct price: £4.40

Shapeways price: $5.96 (£5.54) Link

The mast has a raised and lowered version (raised not depicted here – I apparently forgot to put it in when I took this photo!), so like the Fennek, you can have the mast up or down (who needs markers when you have the real thing!)

Photos, as per usual, of the Replicator 2 version.

January might well be another dip into the backlog, we’ll see how things go. It’s been a bit of a month and I’m not going to get much done before Christmas with one thing and another (and then I really need to work out what I’m going to do for Hammerhead for the 144 sci-fi!)

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Even in FDM that’s a good looking work you’ve done.

Have you thought of selling the stl files?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Aotrs Commander
    Participant

Thanks.

I briefly looked at it, but I haven’t found an appropriate distribution facility – I looked at TurboSquid, for instance, but not only would my models have looked ridiculously out of place (like, that place deals with models in thousands of dollars/pounds), but stuff like their image requirements wanted me to essentially texture models in ways I have no idea how to even do in TurboCAD. (And I want to ensure that a place would be of a suitable level that it would be big enough to ensure some level of piracy protection and stable enough to last many years, since I have a LOT of models to have to put up.)

It would thus require another huge time-skin to get everything up for that, and after a year, I’ve still only got about half (with a bias towards the moderns) of the catalogue priced up for the direct prints and only new released products on the Facebook catalogue. It is likely something I may deal with eventually, but not in the immediate future, probably at least not until I’ve actually finished those things.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Perhaps look at Wargames vault?  They are able to send stls and well as pdf and such.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I don’t think it hurts toput teh model up on turbosquid and mark it as for 3D printing for the prince you wanted to sell it. I’ve had a few curcumstances where clients bought models off turbosquid or other sites and asked me to make it printer friendly. You never know your models might be perfect for someone looking for modern vehicles within a certain price range.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.