Home Forums Modern Random Nation Generator

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Imagi-nations, made-up nation states for our brushfire war games, are quite popular.

This mini supplement provides tables to randomly generate 13 different aspects of your prospective warzone, including cultural coherency, corruption and technological level.

Whether your imagination just needs a little boost or you want to play a completely unique campaign, the Nation Generator can be used with any set of wargaming rules you currently enjoy.

This PDF is completely rules-neutral and due to the short length of 8 pages is provided on a “Pay what you want” basis. Grab it for free or throw me a tip at your discretion.
    I’ll repeat for emphasis that it’s completely rules neutral. Whether you use FiveCore, Crossfire, AK47 or another system to run your “imagi-nations”, you can use this.

Please enjoy this product on its own or as a preview of the forthcoming “Brushfire” campaign supplement.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/146620/Nation-Generator-for-20th-century-Brushwars?manufacturers_id=5701

Participant

Is Freedonia included ????

Participant

Love your work, Ivan.  I’ve downloaded and will be using this. I also love your “War Generator” in the Brigade Commander rules.

One thing I’d probably add to both is something that was suggested on one of the other forums (can’t remember which, so can’t credit it to the originator). This is that the ‘primary’ and ‘secondary’ arms suppliers for your fictional country are also generated. The ‘primary’ supplier is the country that supplies most of the arms for your fictional nation / faction. The ‘secondary supplier is one that supplies some equipment, but they only supply their last-generation equipment (say 20 years prior to the current year – maybe from the surplus market?).

I’d make another random table, with the % chance of being supplied by a country being based on that country’s real-world % of supply to the world arms market. For each nation, roll twice with the first roll determining the ‘primary’ supplier, and the second roll determining the ‘secondary’ supplier. In a system like the War Generator, where other ‘alignment’ rolls may determine that a country is aligned to one bloc or another in certain periods (ie. NATO or WARPAC), then only primary suppliers from that bloc would be eligible (so for WARPAC, probably Soviet supplied, but for NATO-aligned, the supplier could be US, UK, Germany, France, etc). But a roll for a secondary supplier would still be made.

Just my opinion, but I think this would add some extra flavour to the systems. Having said that, they’re already very good!!

bish
    http://tinytanks3mm.blogspot.com.au/

Participant

Ah, that’s a great idea. After all, a lot of countries use a variety of gear.
    The second part will be a military generator, so I’ll fold it into that.

Participant

I was going to get it for $0:00, but then felt guilty, so I didn’t

And glad to see Bish has made it across to TWW – he is the one that convinced me to look at 3mm thanks to his excellent blog.

Participant

Whatever price works is fine 🙂 Some gentleman tipped me 10 pounds which I am very appreciate for.

Participant

What’s this ” Brushfire campaign supplement” of which you speak?

This level of warfare in a modern imagi-nation setting appeals to me, it lends itself to mini-campaigns that don’t involve a lot of mental stress, time and stacks of miniatures!

Participant

I haven’t spoken too much of it because whenever I do, something comes up and I can’t carry out my plans 🙂

It’s a side project while I work on post-apocalyptic rules: It’ll be a bunch of tools for campaigns in imagi-nations: Stuff like appealing to superpowers for help, a simple system for figuring out if a military operation succeeded, that sort of thing.

Knowing me, I’m sure there’ll be some random events tables too.

The idea is it’ll create the campaign narrative super structure that you can then slot whatever rules you want into.

Participant

It’s a good idea.

Participant

I thought so 🙂

Participant

Post apoc rules?!?! Oh God, I may as well cave in and add Wargames Vault to my favourites bar…

It all sounds great…. and now for a confession: I know this sounds pathetic, even from a man who plays with toy soldiers, but I sometimes roll for outcomes on the tables in Five Parsecs and Every Star an Opportunity just for the fun of it.

Participant

It’ll be for FiveCore rather than a stand-alone game. The style won’t be massively different from Five parsecs.

And I get ya. I roll up Traveller planets for fun 🙂

(and it should be no surprise at all, if you own Every Star an Opportunity, that I love me some Traveller 🙂 )

Participant

I roll up Traveller planets for fun :-) (and it should be no surprise at all, if you own Every Star an Opportunity, that I love me some Traveller :-) )

If you owned Traveller and didn’t roll up planets, you didn’t have Traveller    I really rather enjoyed that game. Didn’t like the newer versions though.

Participant

The book I am still trying to find again is the Megatraveller world builders guidebook. Fantastic, but definitely for nerds.

Participant

The book I am still trying to find again is the Megatraveller world builders guidebook. Fantastic, but definitely for nerds.

I have sent you an email in regards to this.

Participant

Appreciate it!

As an aside, just put last touches on the “military generator”. This goes hand in hand with the nation generator and lets you set the overall tone for your nations armed forces.

It’s intended to guide your tabletop armies, as such, it’s not a strict “generate troops for this encounter’ system. You’ll refer to the gaming system of your choice for that, whether it’s a random system ala FiveCore Company Commander or a points system ala FFT3 (or just you making it up as you go)

I’ll make a deal, if any of you want to roll up a nation or two and post them on your blogs, I’ll pop you a preview of the military generator. Email me if you’re interested.

Participant

I’ll make a deal, if any of you want to roll up a nation or two and post them on your blogs, I’ll pop you a preview of the military generator. Email me if you’re interested.

Challenge accepted, and email sent

bish

Participant

And glad to see Bish has made it across to TWW – he is the one that convinced me to look at 3mm thanks to his excellent blog.

You’re too kind, my friend

bish

Participant

You gots mail 🙂

Participant

You gots mail :)

My attempt at a couple of newly generated imagi-nations is now up on my blog:

http://tinytanks3mm.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/fun-with-imagi-nations.html

bish

Participant

Nice work 🙂 Did you tweak any rolls or just use them as written? Both worked out pretty believably, I’d say.

Participant

Nice work :) Did you tweak any rolls or just use them as written? Both worked out pretty believably, I’d say.

The only tweaks were the ones mentioned (population). It seemed to work pretty well.

bish

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.