Home Forums General General 1:300 cars from China

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

so I decided to buy some of these 1:300 scale cars from China – only took two weeks to arrive so shipping was good, the models are cute. There are four types of saloon car in the pack, nearly evenly balanced out, but I wonder why there is not more variety of these vehicles available, surely for modern scenarios, modern lorries, coaches, buses,vans, even farm vehicles etc. would be sellable items.

Even Shapeways have very limited modern vehicle options, and what they do have are mainly military, (and you can get them from any of our major suppliers). Why ‘more of the same’ satisfies I will never understand – I don’t make the same models as those already available – seems pointless to me.

We now have thousands of 3D printers out there – I’m looking forward to the day when somebody makes ‘variety’ a priority rather than ‘I can do better than you’ve done’ – just a thought!

6mm Resin Castings for wargamers -
    find me at www.levenminiatures.co.uk or follow us on Facebook at Http://www.facebook.com/levenminiatures

Keymaster

but I wonder why there is not more variety of these vehicles available, surely for modern scenarios, modern lorries, coaches, buses,vans, even farm vehicles etc. would be sellable items.

I would guess they are mainly intended for architects models for city planning, you know, the white card buildings you see and stuff.
    So big ugly trucks and things that make the model look congested and noisy, not so much, better to have some small pretty colourful cars.
    I very much doubt they are made with wargamers in mind.

Just a guess mind you..

Participant

You both make 6mm stuff for wargamers ….  isn’t this an opportunity?

Mind you, I know nothing about the potential market … or the process from idea to manufacture … or what I’m talking about at all really …

(So … business as usual, I guess …)

Participant

Yooo, show some pix of the cars!

I have been meaning to do some 6mm scale cars, but for sci-fi.  My 15mm ones won’t all transfer scales (detail wise) so some new designs or redesigns will be necessary.  That said, yes, variety is very important to me.  You can only paint so many of the same design in different colors before it all looks monotonous (unless you’re in eastern europe in the 80’s and everything is a Lada, then it’s just normal…).  I am guessing, however, that for the most part the offerings available out there are as Mike says, intended to Architectural models (and the universe knows I have used them often enough over the years for just that) where there doesn’t need to be a great variety as they are just there for scenery flavor.  The more variety you have the more distracting they become in a model’s whose purpose is to show off the BUILDING not the heterogenousness of imaginary city traffic.

Now, that said, companies that focus on modern 6mm games should indeed take a look this and put some civie stuff out.  Too often people forget that normal people are often caught in the spaces between the armies during a fight, and their possessions are often destroyed in the fight, or even used for cover.  Put the bug in the ears of GHQ and the like!  Get them moving!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.