Home Forums Renaissance 6mm Sengoku Jidai

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s been a year since I started a 6mm Sengoku Jidai project. Progress has been pretty good. With some rebasing along the way, the figures are now organised into large unit-sized bases for use with a version of the board game ‘Tenkatoitsu’ modified slightly for tabetop. (Hence the stat counters on the bases).

Keymaster

Where in the world is it you live?

AKA – Can I drive there for a game?!   😀

Participant

Fantastic armies!

Interested to know how they work with the adapted boardgame rules.

Participant

I live in darkest Wales I’m afraid. Few people come here by choice, fewer still in their right mind.

There’s a few battle reports and posts about the Tenkatoitsu rules on my Sengoku ‘blog:

https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com/

Keymaster

North or South?

Participant

Pembrokeshire in the South-West.

Keymaster

2 hours…   😀

Anyway I digress, they look excellent.

Participant

Indeed, quite stunning!  This is me being totally jealous!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Usagitsuki

I was interested in your thoughts on ‘unit’ representation and how wargames may be getting it very wrong by splitting troops into weapon types. I suspect we do quite a bit of this in the European Mediaeval period as well. I’m not sure how we can represent the ‘mixed’ nature of groups of soldiers however without losing some of the facets of tactical decision making gamers enjoy. Bordgamers seem to accept a slightly more abstracted ‘combat power’ idea about their counters than I suspect figure gamers are prepared to admit. The ‘stone scissors paper’ of various weapon group interactions seems as firmly based in this period as the column, line, square on is in the mind of many Napoeonic period gamers.

I understand it – I like the tactical game play of the interactions – I’m just not convinced they were quite so clear cut on the real battlefield.

I think I will have play around with some of your thoughts in the European context.

Participant

I think traditionally tabletop wargames rules have tended to define troop differences in terms of their equipment, and this leads to a temptation to separate troop types from units which may have had mixed equipment. There are medieval rules that split medieval ‘lance’ units into separate units of knights and sergeants. A lot of ‘dark age’ armies have whole units of ‘nobles’ with heavier armour than the ordinary warriors. I suspect this isn’t a very realistic way of portraying these armies.

Board games are worth a look for new ideas, I think. In the near future I’m going to try the GMT ‘Men of Iron’ game ‘Infidel’ for tabletop Crusades battles.

Participant

Brilliant.  I’ll need some painting tips for when I do my Baccus figures that have been languishing for the last four years.

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

6mm is a great size for representing those types of battles. Great looking table, too!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Wow, great work again, a period ive always wanted to have a go at just put off by the painting involved.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

It’s much, much easier in 6mm. A lot of the little details disappear at that scale. But you still get the mass effect from the sashimono and nobori.

Participant

They look amazing, simply stunning. Great work 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.