Home Forums WWII 6mm WW2 '43 East Front game on blog

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am starting to play in 6mm some of the many WW2 rulesets I have acquired over the years. I am starting with an easy set – Irregular Miniatures’ Mechanised Warfare Rules. I am also going to use Skirmish Campaign books as the scenarios. Thew first scenario is in 1943 east front with Russians trying to rush through some German defenders.  Of course, I setup the table 14 months ago and it recently took 4 weeks elapsed to play the game so it may be awhile to get through the rules I would like to play!

The rules are really more of a framework than a fully fleshed out ruleset, but easy to play.

An AAR and an overview of the Irregular Miniatures MWR rules are on my blog here:

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/6mm-ww2-russia-43-iron-wedge-red-guards.html

Here is a pic from the report as the russians go through a gap in the woods:

Participant

Shaun:

Very interesting Bat. Rep. and I followed your links to download the Pz.8 rules. I was impressed with the scenario and the combat but it would have been a shame if the Soviets had lost due to mines or bogs.  I think if I was playing this scenario I would keep movement and ranges in inches or double the centimeter distances as watching a T-34 run full out and only cover 20 cm in five turns would drive me nuts! Cool stuff and thanks for posting.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Well done Shaun !!!

Participant

Excellent stuff Shaun! You’re just showing off now…that’s two AAR’s in a matter of days 🙂

I wasn’t familiar with these rules and I love checking out new systems. It looks very interesting. At this stage I think its simplicity would most attract me to it. When I started gaming some years ago the rules needed to be ultra complex and detailed. I was certain that complexity should translate into realism. I’m no longer sure that’s the case and even if it was I won’t be interested.

Did you always have the 6mm? I think I may have heard  you mention them before.

“I think if I was playing this scenario I would keep movement and ranges in inches or double the centimeter distances as watching a T-34 run full out and only cover 20 cm in five turns would drive me nuts!”

The funny thing is I actually thought of Rob ..ahem I mean Rod when I read the distance the T-34 was covering…he’s a bit of a speedster when it comes to his armour 🙂

I was hoping to test out Ivan’s 5Core Company rules later …I have the table set up for 28mm scale and I was hoping to use my 15mm stuff for it but it really is a lot of trouble to pack everything up 🙁 I enjoy setting up a table but not tidying it away… I might try it with squads instead

Thanks for posting Shaun and please realize that I am in no way resentful of the fact that you’re closing the gap on our  personal battle for the Prince of BatReps (there’s only one King and no way of catching Jack on that score )….but in regards to catching me you still have a ways to go and to be honest I doubt you have what it takes to catch up 😉

Looking forward to seeing more 🙂

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

Hi Rod,

I think I would have gone nuts too with a t34 moving 6cm and infantry moving 2cm!  I am very glad I did not scale it down.  I would not recommend scaling it down, unless you were playing in 2mm on a 6″x6″ board.

Hi Panda,

The rules are very simple but I like some of the concepts and have used them in some of the WW2 rules I have written (and played) over the last few years.

I do not game in 6mm often and only started in 2011. I started back into game after a break by playing 15mm ancients on a 2’x2′ table in some map drawers. After getting back in WW2 playing some 20mm in 2010, I acquired a small amount of 6mm German, Russian and british to play in the map drawers. I played 5 games over about 18 months from Aug 2011 to Mar 2013. I have always meant to play more, but keep getting distracted.

For the 5 games, go to this page and about 40-50 lines down is the Vyazma or Bust mini-campaign with AAR links.

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com.au/p/ww2-rules-ramblings.html

Lastly – “but in regards to catching me you still have a ways to go and to be honest I doubt you have what it takes to catch up ;)“: all I can hear is the jealousy in your words 🙂 I would pity you except I think it would be wasted 🙂

Oh, and I cannot tell a lie about 6mm.  I do have some British 1980-era 6mm Chieftains, Saracens (I think) and FV432s when I briefly dabbled in Moderns in 1980.  I played two games against someone  in 1980 using WRG 1950-1975 rules (I quite liked them) but have done nothing else Modern since.  All I need is some 80’s Soviets to fight against, and British Infantry (mine got lost) and I may even think about a game.

Participant

Great stuff, thanks for posting Shaun.  I’ve always loved your 6mm stuff in a very small place.  Kinda takes away all your excuses for not gaming, one would think 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Shaun:

I really must read your posting more carefully. I could have sworn you said you scaled it down to centimeters, but a retread shows I’m completely out to lunch. Let’s call in a “senior moment”.

Yours stupidly.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Shaun the only thing I’m jealous about is you making Rod feel stupid 🙂

In regards to you upstaging me …NEVER!!!

Participant

War Panda:

I have a great capacity for stupidity, I’m very good at it. No one needs to make me feel stupid because I know I am stupid! But do remember that the only difference between a wise man and a fool is that the wise man knows he is a fool! I would say something disparaging about Ireland’s deranged expatriots who haunt the internet disguised as furry animals at this point, but in deference to Shaun (by all accounts a very sensible son of Eirinn), I will bide my tongue in order to avoid collateral damage.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Shaun (by all accounts a very sensible son of Eirinn)

Isn’t Shaun from Australia? Where’s all this son of Eireann stuff coming from? I’m not saying that it isn’t possible that his forefathers didn’t take a one way penal ship from the olde country to Oz back in the day but I’m sorry he’ll have to prove it before he can claim to be Irish 

Participant

War Panda:

And what proof do you have that you are truly a Panda? Chinese papers, Canadian Wildlife tags, Furry Club of West Ireland membership card, Captain Panda Secret Decoder Ring? Let he who is proven cast the first doubt.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

The fact that I’m a panda should be quite clear for anyone to see. Dare I say for those without prejudice it is fairly black and white….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.