Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Boxer Rebellion Ship Colours

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey All,

Does anyone know of a good source for the colours of the ships of the Eight Nation Alliance during the Boxer Rebellion?

I’ve done enough research to be able to make some educated assumptions as to how they were painted, but if anyone knew of a definitive source that would be great. I always hate it when I paint something up and then later find out I’ve done it wrong.

I’m working to the following list for my “International Squadron”, based on Admiral Seymour’s squadron prepared for the bombardment of the forts at Shan-Hai-Kwan (as reported in Lt. C. C. Dix’s book The World’s Navies in the Boxer Rebellion (China 1900)), which I assume to be correct, however if anyone has a better source I’d also be very happy to hear about that too:

HMS Centurion (Royal Navy)

HMS Barfleur (Royal Navy)

HMS Orlando (Royal Navy)

HMS Aurora (Royal Navy)

Navarin (Russian)

Sissoi Veliky (Russian)

SMS Hansa (German)

SMS Hertha (German)

D’Entrecasteaux (French)

Tokiwa (Japanese)

Kaiserin und Konign Maria Theresia (Austrian)

Vettor Pisani (Italian)

(and the following not included in Seymour’s squadron, but included in my project as they were present on station during the conflict and would likely have been involved in any cruiser actions:)

HMS Terrible (Royal Navy)

HMS Endymion (Royal Navy)

Cheers for any help. Will follow up with painted ships at some point, all being well.

FightingJones.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.