Home Forums Medieval Burgundian petardiers ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Spectator

Hello everyone ,

Where to find – in 25/30 mm figures – Burgundian petardiers of the second half of the fifteenth with hand-hurled naptha bomb ?

Thank you

Spectator

That’s what I’ve found so far, the dictionaries seem mostly to say that “petard” only comes from the 16th century, so the good old WRG lists could have the wrong word for the C15th Burgundian powder-pot chuckers.

What the “Burgundians” are supposed to use is a fire hotpot pomegranate, probably not too different from those of the Crusaders, which may have been smaller.

https://taskandpurpose.com/believe-not-1000-year-old-hand-grenade/

There is an exact illustration of what I’m looking for in figurines in the reenactment of Terry Wise’s M.A.A.de Osprey on the “Wars of the Roses”.

This illustration claims to be based on “Royal MS 14, E.IV”, but I do not know which page.

http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDisplay.aspx?ref=Royal_MS_14_e_iv

Participant

The picture Gerry Embleton’s illustration is based on can be found on page 59 (f.59v) where there are two figures holding ‘grenades’.  In the absence of a specifically designed miniature I would have thought an artilleryman holding a cannonball would serve perfectly well in 28mm (unless of course you need the guy to actually be in the act of throwing).

Spectator

Thank you, now from memory, the only specific figurines for them were in the 25 mm Naismith burgundian range, where to find them ..?

Participant

“Royal MS 14, E.IV”  f281 verso  is probably the one

Central tower – figure in red, both hands clutching – something. You can get a wider pic for context by clicking on Paskal’s link and scrolling to the relevant folio.

f281v

There are also figures doing similar things on f47 verso  (fig on battlement to left, in red, one handed) and f59 verso (fig on far right, in red two handed). None of the objects they clasp appear to be sputtering and could be shot or stylised stones, but we’ll be generous and say they are fire pots.

Spectator

Thank you Oh, but the burgundian petardiers were not part of the Burgundian Ordinance Companies – they were part of the burgundian artillerymen  or were used only during the sieges ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.