Home Forums Alternate History Pulp Designing and 3D printing pulp/weird war vehicles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As some of you might remember, I’m playing through a solo pulp-ish campaign (it’s slow going) and because the world I’ve created for myself is quite niche in its aestethic (kinda, sorta weird inter-war with mechs, weird science, and a good serving of occult/folklore), there aren’t that many miniatures on the market that fit within this campaign (especially in my chosen scale – 15mm).

So, I thought I’ll try my hand at designing and 3d printing some units myself. I’m not a great 3d artist by any means, but I have *some* experience with designing for 3d print, and modeling some imaginary vehicles inspired by early 20th century designs doesn’t seem *that* daunting 😉

I plan to use this topic as a catch all for this bit of a hobby: sharing design progress, experiences and files (so you can print it yourself too!). But right now, without a further ado, here’s my first design:

Render Preview

Tumbleweed Tank!

My first design is inspired by a 1936 American concept for a round tank. I’m pretty sure it never got further than the idea and some sketches, but people might know of it because it was featured on a cover of an issue of Popular Science Magazine (see p.37 of that issue for the half page article)!

The idea behind the 1936 design was to act a bit like a mobile bunker and for breaking enemy lines (drive fast at enemy group or trench, shooting everywhere to make a path of friendly infantry to move in) . In my campaign it has another use: as imagine it as being heavily armored, but still being able to reach pretty high speeds (weird science engines) it would act akin to a bowling ball against lighter mechs. I imagine the crew being in kind of rollcage so when this thing rams into a mech they will be (relatively) safe while the target mech would probably fall, if not get totally immobilized letting other units finish it off.

But mainly, I chose this design because it’s relatively simple, and the simpler the better for my first attempt! I hope to do fancier things down the line (including mechs), but right now I am still finding my footing and learning the software.

The design/modelling is done and I am currently printing it in 15mm scale on my FDM printer. I already see some issues – on this scale the smaller details (like the rivets) are all gone. Will see how much I am missing them after putting it together (I  am printing it flat and in parts to be glued afterwards, as it is much easier to do so on a FDM printer) and see if I want to mess with it more to make them visible (it might look a bit comical tho). I think it should print fine on a resin printer (but I currently can’t afford to setup one in my apartment) or even at 28mm scale on an FDM printer. I will share the files after confirming that it prints OK.

Stay tuned!

Participant

An interesting project, look forward to seeing more

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

Alternative Armies do a ball tank in their excellent ION Age range of miniatures

IAF046 Infernus Tank – Malig Ball Tank

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Ian: Thanks for the link. I’ve seen the model before, but sadly it’s not available in US (and I’m not able to make a bigger order right now to justify the shipping from UK). To be honest, making this tank was less about finding appropriate model for my game and more about getting into the grove of 3d modelling after quite a long break. It looked simple enough that I knew I could actually finish it in relatively short period of time (and I needed that to not get discouraged – it was a tough year in which I abandoned too many projects).

As for the progress. The test print came out ok, although the movable side turrets are a bit of lost cause at this scale – so those are out for time being. I will share some pics once I throw some paint on it.

Now that I know this thing actually prints I am making the model (with static turrets) available to download from thingiverse!

I might add few more optional greebles in the next few days (e.g exhausts like those in the Malig Ball Tank), maybe alternative armaments. Any ideas?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.