Home Forums General General Facebook vs Forums for Wargames

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    Participant

The follow feature of FB has been letting me down of late, with companies I follow posting news and me not being made aware. Not had a subscription to a forum topic ever fail me yet…

Yeah, I have noticed this too.

I use facebook as a news paper kind of thing to keep up to date with new releases, but I prefer forums.

PatG
    Participant

I have everything turned to 11 in terms of seeing my wife’s FB posts and still about 25% never show up and I have to go hunt for them.  FB’s range may be massive but it’s coverage of it is less than ideal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Facebook is primarily a social tool for connecting with family and friends. With my first FB account, I got sick of the bs deleted it and manged to ,stay off for about 4 months before family event planning forced me back on. Since then, I have been (relatively) selective in who and what I follow. It seems to work out…

this.  I use two FB accounts – one for family and friends (grief share, keeping up on adult children/grandkids, family activiitiess and keep the politics severely limited in frequency and to facts and be couteous or you’re gone forever, ask my cousin, the flaming end of the world apocalyptic Liberal fanatic,)  while my hobby contacts are active to varying degrees on my “hobby persona” account.  No one gets access to both accounts.

I blog as best I can.

Forums – excessively mixed bag of (ex-TMP) LAF, and TWW experiences none of which are satisfying 100% of the time.  Don’t start me on Yahoo groups because I have misplaced my soap box.

Pictures are cool but ephemeral IMO.  I paint as well as I can and advice is okay but will be politely ignored exactly 100% of the time.  I enjoy others work but have no interest in trying to “be” them.

Like all of life nothing quite meets our social sharing as well as face to face.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Mike.
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

I also remember the good old usenet days (rec.games.miniatures.historical …), back in the day when there were perhaps 10K people worldwide active on internet/eunet/bitnet/… , half of them working in computer science departments.

The internet has changed. In the same manner that it makes no sense to have 1 million people in the same bar, there is fragmentation in online discussion forums as well.

As for FB, I deactivated my account several years ago. I read through the user agreements and concluded FB is an unethical company I no longer wanted to support.

Might I miss out on some things? Sure. But let’s play some games instead.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Phil Dutré.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Angel Barracks

Facebook pee’d me off again.
    Tried to set up a page for Crom’s Anvil and FB decided that my business e-mail is not good enough for them, and I should choose another??!

WTAF

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

It’s the universe trying to tell you that Facebook is evil 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I think it’s Facebook telling you Facebook is evil.

Mike
    Keymaster

Some guy on FB just added me to 9 different FB groups.
    Not sending me a link to see if I want to join, but adding me to the group without asking.
    I left the groups and blocked him, seems bad manners to put people into groups without asking.
    It would be a bit like me subscribing members here to 9 random forums without checking with you first, bit rude…

(Rant ended)

OB
    Participant

I’m not keen on Face Book for the reasons given above by others.  I do enjoy a good well run Wargames Forum.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Some guy on FB just added me to 9 different FB groups…
    I left the groups and blocked him,

Yeah, I wonder why that’s even allowed, it seems inherently abusive. It irritates me. I wonder if Zuck charges the perp a small fee for the privilege of conscripting followers? In any event, my FB experience has improved along with my willingness and ability to unfriend, unsubscribe and block sources of annoyance.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.