Home Forums General General Forum Search?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I presume there is some logic as to not allowing the ‘Forii’ to actually be searched? Any such action only brings up the ‘commercial’ section- so just for you I will click ads and hope you get paid in the next millenia.

But why limit legitimate users (or abusers) from not finding nuggets amongst the dross? Crawlers etc. aren’t always nice, but locking out users seems a bit ahh…

/2 Also a bit confused why “Could this be the premise for Pulp…”  is a sticky at top of Nap. forum…?

d

Participant

Go to ‘forums’ from the ‘menu’ on the front page, and use the search box on the forums contents page.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Keymaster

You are using the News Search:

As Geof noted, go to the Forum home page, rather than the News home page:

As for the Pulp/Nap thing, that was my mistake.
    Looks my phat fingers hit sticky on the topic.
    All fixed now, thanks for the heads up.

Participant

Thanks, so is the other one on every page a duplicate of that?? Top RHC–

>>and use the search box on the forums contents page.

Would be eternally more helpful if it were context aware- ie, this forum etc.

Which still doesn’t explain why a specfic in-site field renders the forum data, yet the external search engine function (no- I dont guugel) still only gets the commercial pages?

cheers

Participant

Yes they are all the same in the top bar (rhc).

I’ve wondered about the lack of a search facility on specific fora and presumed it was a function of the forum set up.

Oh and – fora (accusative plural) vice forii. :^)

Keymaster

Thanks, so is the other one on every page a duplicate of that?? Top RHC– >>and use the search box on the forums contents page. Would be eternally more helpful if it were context aware- ie, this forum etc. Which still doesn’t explain why a specfic in-site field renders the forum data, yet the external search engine function (no- I dont guugel) still only gets the commercial pages? cheers

I am not sure what you mean external search engine, if you mean Google, it finds forum posts too.

Participant

I think OotKust means the search button on the black WordPress bar at the top right.

(he said he doesn’t Google)

Keymaster

Not sure, that black bar search is part of the site and not external?

Anyway, yes the forums can be searched.

😀

Participant

Yes, I usually find what I’m looking for easily enough.

Participant

I am not sure what you mean external search engine, if you mean Google, it finds forum posts too.

Oh well even with my antiGugle shields down it didn’t find a single legitimate forum thread;

as per = https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/page/4/?s=cuirassiers

-neither did DDG…but then I’m using heavy anti-tracker minefields as well, so perhaps it all conffuzzes the AI bits. Nice to know something does.

Keymaster

I don’t follow. That is not the forum search you just used . If you use the forum search there are lots of results for cuirassier.

This which you posted is the news search:

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/page/4/?s=cuirassiers

Google is not involved. Shields or otherwise??

A forum search reveals scores of results:

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/search/cuirassier/

If you are still struggling with the forum search, drop me an e-mail and I can walk you through it

Participant

Thanks, but

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.thewargameswebsite.com+cuirassier&t=ffab&atb=v270-1&ia=web

was what I was supposed to post. Web crawlers (search engines) are supposed to be able to trawl web sites and locate the data annotated- why half a WordPress site is visible (the commercial) but not the rest (the forums/ hobby)?

>>Not sure, that black bar search is part of the site and not external?

Not sure what that means. the bar IS the web site domain, all the elements are yours-Edit/ TWW/ Forums/ membership/ Search.

Which begs the question, why would one have to go Home/Forums/ Search to find a useable one? Surely logic dictates that the search symbol should lead to only one active (programmable) search across the entire site?

From my use point- I bkmark the Nap forum, so I expect that ‘Search’ is going to be available on the same page. Very counter intuitive and inefficient having to follow the ‘process’ cited back to the ‘Forums’ home page, and the magical ‘Search’ box there- when it is a duplicated page of the side bar menu’s seen on every page delivered.

Then, forums ‘Home Pages’ have no ‘Search’ function at all? Why isn’t it repeated on every forums ‘Home Page’? Is it because there is that unknown usage ‘Search’ in the TRHC? That IS on every page delivered!

Before I signed up I recognised this limitation and to determine usefulness, actually crawled page by page [yes all 59 of them or whatever] to locate informational threads.

So in a nutshell, why is/ have a difference in the script for the TRHC different, and in the ‘news’ ballpark, when possibly, like me, others want to search for ‘forum’ posts, the ‘other’ search tool which is secreted away in only one place on the site?

Hope this clarifies my confusion and expectations, without prejudice. 25 years ago I was hand coding html for small business and hobby sites as a side income, which was fun for a while.

thanks d

Keymaster

Well the forum is visible to search engines, I tried your search term in google and it worked fine.
    It even returns topics in which you have commented.
    Of course using the forum search works better.

When you create an account you get an e-mail that directs you to a forum that has a topic about searching, uploading images, ignoring other users, and so on.
    Maybe you missed that, it would have saved you the struggle of crawling 59 pages.

Which begs the question, why would one have to go Home/Forums/ Search to find a useable one? Surely logic dictates that the search symbol should lead to only one active (programmable) search across the entire site?

You would have to ask the people that wrote the plugin software, that I can’t answer not being a coder, I wish I was though.

Participant

I search the forum regularly. On the odd occasion that I don’t find what I’m looking for it is usually down to one of two things. Either I’m not using the same terminology as the post I’m looking for did or I’m searching for something actually posted on a different forum …. Doh!

It feels like the OP has a solution and is looking for a problem to fit it.

Working fine IMHO.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.