Home Forums Modern French Foreign Legion Hypothetical Scenario in Estonia, Fight 1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

I’m working on a new campaign with my new 10mm French Foreign Legion. A quick primer is that it’s August 1993 and we’re fresh off the break-up of the Soviet Union, with several of the former Soviet republics nervous about falling back under the rule of an iron fist. In our specific case, Estonia is experiencing a rebellion by a former Soviet Army officer trying to just that, and they look to France for military assistance, and so the Legion, in the form of a task force led by our dear Captain LaPieux (Major LaPieux from the modern day Perplakistan battles) is sent in to squash the rebels.

Situation: Local contacts informed the task force the rebels had established a roadblock (tax collection) on a highway northeast of Talinn. Captain LaPieux dispatched a small patrol to scout, seize, and hold the key crossroads for the task force. The rebels were believed to have a small paramilitary unit manning the roadblock.

Friendly Forces, in order of march: V1, driven by Corporal Methot, transporting Lieutenant Harpin’s team, though they quickly dismounted as the column approached the crossroads.
    V2, mounting the 40mm Mk19 automatic grenade launcher, commanded by Cpl Desjardin and carrying Sgt Adrien’s team.
    V3, driven by Cpl Navarre, transporting Sgt Laroux’s five-man team.
    The first two teams have four rifles and a SAW, whilst the last team has five rifles and a Light Anti-tank Weapon (LAW).

Enemy Force: three five-man rifle teams, each with four rifles and a UGL, and two Technicals, one mounting a 105mm recoiless rifle, the other a 12.7mm HMG.

Overview of the table (2′ x 2′), with left being North, French entering on the road at the bottom (west), rebels holding crossroads at top (east). You can see the three French vehicles at bottom, following Lt Harpin’s team on foot (spread out in field and road at center).

Looking east at rebel roadblock and HMG Technical.

Looking north at French column moving east on the road with Lt Harpin’s team leading the way on foot. From right to left, V1, V2 (w/Mk19), and V3. V1 and V3 are unarmed, and none are armored (neither are the Technicals).

To see how it went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/11/ffl-game-1-estonia.html

Stay tuned, more from the Legion this coming weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

I think the Croix de Combatant might be an appropriate honour for the hero of Estonia. Vive la France, vive les soldats de la France, toutjours a la victoire.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Thanks Just Jack, as always a great read.   All my gaming is on hold till after the move. Alas I must pack up my troops over the next two day. But if all goes as planned I’ll finally have the room to build terrain and set up a real game table.

Participant

A great start to the campaign, and I agree with the frustration, and the fact it is good for solo games.

Participant

Thanks for looking fellas.  It was indeed a good start!

I mentioned to Ivan that the Mk19 gunner, Cpl Desjardins, is basically being decorated not for being heroic, just for being uber-efficient, whereas Cpl Methot was the ‘hero,’ driving his vehicle up the road to shelter the two WIA in the street, then loading them up in the vehicle.

The activation system’s stress, combined with my use of playing cards to determine which side activates a leader, is working like a champ for my solo action.  I intend on getting a couple more FFL fights in this weekend, wish me luck!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Since it’s the FFL, “Bonne chance mon capitaine!”. Aujourd’hui, nous marchons ou mourrons. On y va?

Salut.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Good grief Rod, are you really trying to make me remember High School French?  You know I’m ‘Merican, right?

How about: Oui, Samedi et Dimanche nous marchons!

And I’ll be taking ‘hypothetical’ out of the subject line; we’ve had contact, it’s real now!
    V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

You may be Mexican but la Légion Etrangère will always be French! The Legion is like the Borg of Star Trek. They assimilate all into their ranks. So get with the programme and make the cultural leap from El Mundo Latino to Le Monde Francais! “. “Legio Patria Nostra” (The Legion is our Homeland)”, a little Latin to keep you grounded while your identity is morphed into an unsuspecting Frenchman.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.