Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Interwar Pacific Fleet Action using Find, Fix & Strike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Had this on the table for the past week or so, it was epic.

Full report: https://shellsplash.blogspot.com/2020/01/war-plan-orange.html

Participant

Cool game!  What were the total losses?

I passed your last report on to a friend and he’s already building forces.  🙂

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Wow, an excellent looking game. I hope you had fun with the rules!

Participant

Hard to say exactly. When I called the game it was 1 BB each, but about 4 more US BBs were crippled behind the smokescreen, and it’s hard to see how they would have escaped. Crushing defeat for the USN, but I think the ship stats need a bit of rebalancing – the US battleships need their stats improving a little, and the Japanese might need a bit of a nerf. 🙂

That looks impressive. So many ships, how long did it take to play? With the way shooting and penetration works I don’t think even the squadron stats would help me much, but I’ll use it for my own game if I ever play a game even close to this size.

Participant

I don’t really know to be honest. I had it set up for nearly a week, but I was only playing an hour or so at a time. My guesstimate is it would take 2 players who had the rules down about 6 hours allowing for breaks. So a full day or a couple of evenings. I did simplify the movement initiative system a bit – so each side moved all their ships, then the other, rather than alternating ships/divisions. I didn’t keep track of turns, but I reckon it was about 20-30 turns.

Put it this way – I don’t think you’ll find any rules that are faster/easier to play which still feel realistic.

Participant

I ran a couple of similar games using GQ3 rules at Cold Wars/Fall In (forget which) a few years back. We played a Scouting Force clash in which the IJN dominated and then a defense of Guam in which the USN pretty well dominated the IJN. As I recall, we played to conclusion in both cases in about 4.5 hours but other then some very minor inclusions in the OOB, I deliberately kept aircraft to a minimum which greatly helped speed of play.

Your game is gorgeous with the aircraft and clouds really enhancing the appeal. That is also a great looking mat.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.