Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Krypto's 15mm hobby blog

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

Since I discovered 15mm a few years back, I was sold and I’m in the process of slowly replacing all my 28mm with 15mm figures. While I started out with sci-fi only (back when Critical Mass was still around and when they still released their fantastic resin terrain), I found myself in a peculiar position after moving to Australia two years back. For one there wasn’t anyone to play with and two I simply had a lot less room to store everything which made 28mm too bulky.

Then Rangers of Shadow Deep was announced and, thinking about to start playing with my sons, the co-op and solo modes sounded like music to my ears (I hadn’t heard about the Five Leagues system yet).When I got the book I quickly discovered I needed a lot of models and terrain I didn’t yet have, so the project got postponed in favour of games that need less figures. When I discovered Burning Sands I knew it was a hit and even better I didn’t need much to play the game with. Conan isn’t really my thing, but I like the idea of playing the game in an Arabian Nights setting somewhere in the future, for now it’s just regular fantasy.

However, when World of Twilight released it’s 15mm ‘Legends’ line I jumped at the opportunity too. I’ve always been a fan and supporter of the game and it’s still one of the best rule-systems out there in my opinion.

Here’s what I got so far. As I like to convert and sculpt myself some projects take a while to finish and sometimes got dropped. I’m still learning to sculpt but I’m getting better and better, so please be gentle.

First  some (infamous) old-school Games Workshop Snotlings for Burning Sands
    These guys were some of the first miniatures I ever bought with the pocketmoney I had, some 25 years ago. Without the funds for some decent paints a few of them were given a thick craftstore paint layer so I could use them in an RPG I was mastering, the rest of them ended up in a box not to see the light of day for many, many years.
    When I visited my home back in Belgium earlier this year, I looked through my lead and plastic pile to see what I could use for the projects I had planned and came across these guys again.
    While they were meant for 28mm, they’re perfect for 15mm too.
    On top of that they are some amazing sculpts, with a lot of different facial expressions and poses (I got 19 individual models). Whoever sculpted these did an amazing job.
    So, back in Australia I started to base and paint them up for Burning Sands.
    They’re a race of cavedwelling Trogs which,  in typical 80’s cartoon style, are going to represent the slightly clumsy followers of the main villain, an Efreet who controls them through a Djinn.

My 15mm World of Twilight stuff:

My winning entry for the Legends painting competition, a converted elder on belan.

A converted matriarch, I sculpted the little tyke on her back myself. It’s far from perfect but I’m still pleased with the result.

Some of the terrain I did for Burning Sands:

I really like to use natural materials for my terrain because it gives a nicer and more interesting texture. So the rocks you see are actual rocks that my kids gathered at the shore for me.

These pieces are from Scibor, a bit large for 15mm but I’m probably only going to use as spawn points for my scarab swarms or as objective markers.

Participant

Here’s some of the models I already did for RoSD:

Some werewolves and undead wolves, pictures taken on a bright sunny day :/.

Man’s faithful helper and sometimes best friend.

An undead ogre, the base is a bit thicker because of the slab.

A duelist protecting a civilian from a shadow knight.

Protect the lady!

Bright wizard

Royal Arcanist

Small dragon which is going to represent a bird of prey in the game.

Participant

Plastic rats from the Skaven range, perfect for 15mm.

I never liked zombies wielding weapons, so these Khurasan models were perfect for my taste.

Participant

Not the best picture but you get the idea. She’s a civilian waiting to be rescued.

OOP resin tokens from Oathsworn, despite them being made for a 28mm game are they a great match for 15mm. Also, I like my objectives to stand out a bit so I don’t mind the fact they(re slightly larger than the norm.

And finally some spider web cocoons, made from some cotton buds. They’re not the best looking tokens but at least they’re cheap and they look the part.

These are really nicely painted.

Participant

Thank you very much!

Keymaster

They are, eager to see what you do with Burning Sands!

I also like Twight Miniatures but never got into it. Watched a demo game years ago at Salute but completely forgot about it now.

Participant

Lots of really nice looking stuff here!

I do like the World of Twilight stuff and have a few items to use as alien beasties in my 20mm sci-fi RPG games … if they ever get up and running.

The spider cocoons are brilliant – I may have to steal the idea 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Very very cool!!!

Participant

Thank you everyone!

I do have a lot of 28mm World of Twilight as well and they’re probably the last miniatures of that scale I’m ever going to get rid of.

It’s a great game and well worth checking out. While it has a great range, of not only soldiers but also a lot of civilians and wildlife (something that’s rarely done for wargames), it’s true charm is the ruleset in my opinion. Many games claim to be very tactical but they’re seldomly different from the rest out there, while World of Twilight is exactly that. Instead of casting dice, you’re throwing stones (which adds to the savage feel of the game) and there are many abilities that let you recast them. So the game relies less on luck and more on maneuvering and getting a good command structure (you want to be able to move everyone if necessary) while not exposing yourself to much. And while it’s a skirmish game, the same rules can handle larger scale combat easily as well. It’s also a narrative, scenario driven game with currently over 50 different missions.

Sorry about me rambling on about 😁.

Participant

Fantastic job!  I’ve always like the twilight miniatures, but I switched from 28mm to 15mm and 6mm long ago… what would you actually need to play in 15mm? Looking at their website it seems like you might need two or three sets of their 15mm infantry, the rulebook and a bunch of accessories to get started?

Participant

Fantastic job! I’ve always like the twilight miniatures, but I switched from 28mm to 15mm and 6mm long ago… what would you actually need to play in 15mm? Looking at their website it seems like you might need two or three sets of their 15mm infantry, the rulebook and a bunch of accessories to get started?

Thank you!

The 1st edition rulebook is actually downloadable for free (http://www.worldoftwilight.com/the-game) but contains less fluff, missions and stats than the one for sale. However, as not all units have been released/sculpted yet you probably don’t need the printed rulebook. A few of the units recommended in the first campaign are also still missing, like the engineer, herders and Devanu jenta. I’ve done a few conversions already and I’m trying my hand at sculpting the rest but it won’t be hard to do a ‘counts as’ with the units you got.

For the first few missions from the rulebook you need three sets and one misfits because you won’t get enough infantry from just one set, that is: if you’re playing with the units suggested in the missions. You could ask Mike (the creator) if it isn’t possible to buy them seperately though.

You’re also going to need a starting set with casting stones for two players, the beads that decide whose turn it is can easily be replaced by regular beads or coloured stones if you want too but the set isn’t that expensive imho.

You have to be creative with the bases as the base sizes described in the rulebook are way too large for 15mm. I’m using 20mm, 25mm and 30mm as small, medium and large bases. My huge base is a 40mm one. I’m also playing in centimeters instead of inches, not the most accurate conversion but one that’s easy enough for my kids to understand.

Participant

Some of the models I painted up for Spooktober, I didn’t take any pictures until today though.

A bunch of spiders I bought off from eBay. Given the price I paid for them I suspect they’re recasts; the details are pretty good though but the resin’s a bit brittle and a few legs broke off during transport.
    Their size is similar to that of a medium sized animal, not too big or too small and close to what I was looking for.

Next is a converted Reaper Bones fire elemental, which I’m going to use as a tortured soul for the Rangers of Shadow Deep game.

A couple of skeletons and skeleton knights from Alternative Armies. I removed the turban on one of them as I thought it looked ridiculous in my opinion, my repair work on it isn’t the best however and he looks a bit weird (you can probably spot him right away). There were a few more skeletons in the pack I bought, but these are wearing some more outlandish armour so I’m saving them as summons for my Burning Sands collection.

And finally a trio of Blood Bats from the Warhammer Vampire Bat Swarm range, especially the two smaller ones are great for 15mm.

I got bitten by the painting bug again after finishing these so hopefully it won’t be too long until my next post.

Participant

Nothing really special this week, most of them are just some local animals and tokens for my Burning Sands games, though some of them may be featuring in other games in the future as well. One of the games I’m considering of doing is a Pulp exploration game and maybe even Ghost Archipelago.
    Most of these have been on my painting list for a very long time and while they weren’t the most urgent, I’m still happy to finally call them done.

First are two animals that aren’t meant for Burning Sands.

A giant maggot …

… and a sabretooth, which is one of my 15mm Relicblade models that I’m doing as a side-project.

Next are some animals I did for Burning Sands.

Some ostriches, which I think I once got as a freebee and are actually meant for 25mm. It would be a shame not to use them though.

A solitary lion

Finally a large lizard, which is another 25mm model that’s just too good not to use.

Keymaster

Dang it, I missed this!

Some excellent work as usual.
    I can feel the temptation of pulp exploration also…

Participant

How did I miss this thread?  Perhaps I should be lurking more in the fantasy section again!  I love the giant maggot and the treasure piles!

That painting is really good. I can’t decide which I like more, the sabertooth, ostrich or giant lizard.

Participant

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

How did I miss this thread? Perhaps I should be lurking more in the fantasy section again! I love the giant maggot and the treasure piles!

This happens a lot to me as well, there’s so much goodiness over here it’s hard to keep up with it.

Dang it, I missed this! Some excellent work as usual. I can feel the temptation of pulp exploration also…

Yeah, the lure to start a Pulp campaign has been really strong lately. I already find myself looking for suitable animals to use whenever I walk through toy shops and the box with natives, animals and colonial explorers has been opened quite a few times since I did my previous post.

Participant

Some Cultists I finally painted up. I bought them a long time ago, back when Dracula’s America was just released, as part of another abandoned project.

They’re going to replace the gnolls in my RoSD  game as I like the idea of a single all encompassing evil over that of a seemingly random gathering of different kinds of fantasy creatures.

For the ones who are wondering why I used two types of bases; the Khurasan models are slightly smaller than the ones from RPE and to mitigate the height difference I put the Khurasan ones on higher bases.

My Magister/Necromancer and his mummified pet rat

Initiated members of the death cult, in RoSD they’re going to represent the gnoll sergeants

Death cultists with hand weapons, I gave them hoods to tie them in with the rest of the force.

Crossbow wielding cultists that I converted from the ones with rifles.

Keymaster

That rat is horrible, in a good way!

Participant

That rat is horrible, in a good way!

Hahaha, cheers!

Participant

Some more additions for my Rangers of Shadow Deep project.

When I bought the Alternative Armies adventurer packs I ended up with quite a few doubles, so I decided to do some conversions. This, well … got  a bit out of hand…

These are my bards that I’m going to use as recruits in RoSD. The one on the right is a conversion I did of a woman-at-arms model.

A templar and a knight, the templar has the same body as the knight but had some hack and saw work done.

These guys are a lot smaller than the rest and the guardsman is one of the first conversions I did, hence the wonky arm.

I didn’t like the shield the druid was originaly holding so I gave him a bow and changed him into a tracker. Noticing a severe lack of female characters I did a sex-change on the second druid and gave him/her a headswap with one of the heads from the dead cultists.

Participant

Wow, those cultists are scary, I really like the green flames and black and white scheme.  Very eerie!

Participant

Wow, those cultists are scary, I really like the green flames and black and white scheme. Very eerie!

Thanks, that was the intention! I wanted to do them completely monochrome in the beginning to be honest and just give the flames a touch of colour. This didn’t work out so well with the belts and I changed it. Still kind of regretting not doing the skin in grey tones.

Excellent work, as normal, with some nice touches.
    The notion of making flames reflect onto people with an orange glow still seems like sorcery to me!
    So kudos.

Participant

Wow, I have most of those minis, those are some nice conversions!

I really like that templar, not enough respect for a good spear in most games imo.😉

Cheers,

Stroezie.

I like the guy in white with red plume, the shield painting is very cool.
    Also the BDSM rat makes me laugh.

Participant

Thank you very much for the comments and praise everyone!

Thank you very much for the comments and praise everyone!

You do good stuff!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.