Home Forums General General Ripped Hero Types

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

The recovery from covid is slow, not much painting and zero playing as my energy levels are shockingly low.
    So I have been mostly gorging on tv/films.
    One thing I have noticed especially with pseudo historical things is the tendency for hero types to be ripped like no-one ever was.
    It seems to me that the people behind these shows think the mark of a good warrior is having been down the gym and acquiring a sweet six pack and guns.

Having said that, GOT has mighty warrior types that are just big ass mofos as I would expect.
    The Hound, The Mountain, these to me seem like they would be the mighty ass kickers, people like them and Ray Stevenson, not some shredded low carb pretty boy that we mostly get fed.
    The competitors from strongmen competitions yes, not olympic swimmers!

And as for historical accuracy around women…    gah.

Anyway, rant over have a nice day.

Participant

Take it easy as your health is more important than pushing yourself too far too fast

As for the rant – Agreed, I think the classic ‘Hollywood’ hero is normally not worth a penny and never to be taken seriously EVEN if the film is supposed to be ‘historically accurate’.

I prefer the folk who do the historically reconstructions or re-enactments – they normally seem to be reasonably fit but not OTT.

My version of the rant is the Star Trek universe(s) – I think the folk at the conventions are more diverse size/race/gender than the mix you see on there. Even the recent ‘Centre Seat’ series still pushes the ‘first kiss’ as ‘proof’ of diversity despite it not being the ‘first kiss’.

I hate these tropes too. Its not very believable when slim catwalk model sized women beats multiple men with ease when I have a tough time in the ring with a guy my own size. I like Russel Crow’s build in Gladiator, seems more realistic than Channing Tatum in the Roman movie he did. Who knew steroid was available in those times. And don’t get me started on hackers and geeks all being unfit.

Participant

I remember a comment about some early Batman artwork where the writer commented, ‘muscles that owed more to the stockyard than the gym.’
    I think that your comments about film portrayal of the ripped hero type is on the money. But how strong are these ripped hero types. You need more than a six pack to keep swinging a sharpened iron bar for long periods 🙂

Anyway you concentrate on getting better. Covid is an old fashioned illness, the old fashioned cure works best, Convalescence. So chill and don’t worry too much about work. All worrying or trying to do stuff will do is slow down your recovery.

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.