Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Where do you fight…?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just wondering where y’all fight most of your battles. Colonial outposts/backwater villages? Rural lands/key terrain features? Cities and city centers?

I have found that most of my 6mm battles center around capturing specific locations, like port/landing facilities, research stations, or crossroads/towns. I’ve had a few that were city center slugfests, and a few that took place out in the middle of nowhere, but capturing infrastructure seems to be the norm.

What about you?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Mine are usually about capturing a facility or something. I don’t have enough large-population-city-looking-terrain to be able to have massively urban fights.

Thus many of my conflicts so far are on semi-backwater planets, or developing colonies. The story can be that suddenly something of interest has been found and some forces are going in to investigate. I can also throw together an okay jungle, and a fairly decently sized industrial complex. Over the coming months I hope to be able to put a decent settlement on the table, and in all honesty with me starting a new job soon, I might just print out loads of cardboard buildings before I leave to have a good cityscape.

They are all on Kometenmelodie, a first generation colony world.
    Mostly wild west frontier style new world flavour.

Mariposa is the closest to a city, followed maybe then by Anshan.

But my games are skirmishes rather than battles as part of a war.

Quite often recovery missions, search and destroy, normally quick in and out style affairs.

Participant

At 3mm scale, I fight in the Zaftran People’s Democratic Republic, where there are plenty of small post-Soviet housing blocks to fight over.

At 6mm scale I fight mercenary brush fire wars in Sulaco and Costaguana, on the western seaboard of South America. Mostly jungle and forest, with military bases along the restive frontier.

At 15mm scale I’ll be fighting in the ruins of the Fourth World War on the island of Sri Lanka. Ruined cities, colony settlements, and ultimately a spaceport.

Participant

Samurai: in a small village and among bamboo groves. One day I will finish my Japanese castle.

Moderns: the African veldt. Sometimres with a small village, farmhouse, or military installation.

VSF: Mars and Venus

Colonial: veldt and jungles with the odd hut scattered around.

Zombies: urban

Fantasy: wilderness only

WH40k: war-ravaged cityscape

Dreadfleet: on the mat provided 😉

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Keymaster

Ok, so how many of you saw this was in the 6mm sci-fi forum?

😉

Participant

Oops!

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

I almost made that mistake, started thinking about other wargaming like Pirates!

For my 6mm SF, which is my main game anyway. It tends to be focused around a single complex. A walled small MHU town or an outpost. First generation colony stuff, like AB.

When I first got into 6mm sci-fi 10 years back I had this idea of a tropical environment on a rapidly terraformed and colonised planet/moon in a Cowboy Bebop-esque setting. A core concept of the setting I envisaged was that off-world colonies were messy and partially poverty-stricken places, but also expansive and dynamic, and most of the colonists came from the Third World (particularly Latin America in the case of this specific planet/moon) because people from the First World and Northeast Asia had largely become complacent and socially/spiritually/culturally stagnant. So the battlefield I wanted to represent on the table was like a secondary jungle with a “quick fix” town in the middle consisting of a core of fancy, futuristic administrative buildings surrounded by shanties and portable container-style hab-modules. The kind of setting where old men sit outside bodegas playing dominoes while tanks trundle past in the bright sun. Nothing too wartorn, but with a certain suggestion of political instability.

I bought quite a lot of buildings for this project (Old Crow, Battletech, etc), but then I left them to languish unpainted and unused as I drifted away from 6mm sci-fi again for a while. Now that I look at my collection of buildings again, they seem… too small. They look a bit out-of-scale next to most of my 6mm figures and models, as if the buildings are scaled for 5mm while the figures are really more like 7mm. If I ever get into 3mm sci-fi I may repurpose some of the buildings for that.

I think any 6mm sci-fi battlefields I’ll set up in the future will be fairly generic. Some forests, some roads, some incidental structures. Maybe a little bit of urban area jutting in from one table edge.

Participant

“Ok, so how many of you saw this was in the 6mm sci-fi forum?”

Not me, that’s for sure!!!

Participant

Thanks for the info guys.  Been thinking of making some urban buildings for city centers and commercial zones in 6mm and wondered whether to start out with industrial buildings or more office/commercial styles.  Seems the industrial would be the smarter start.  Michael has some great colony type housing and shanties, so no need to rework the wheel there!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Been thinking of making some urban buildings for city centers and commercial zones in 6mm and wondered whether to start out with industrial buildings or more office/commercial styles. Seems the industrial would be the smarter start.

Great! Always good to see more terrain and scenery on the market in any scale.

Michael has some great colony type housing and shanties, so no need to rework the wheel there!

Love you.
    But screw me, make cool stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.