Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Jagannath's Desert Fantasy – Bandits! 6/1/19

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

The original buildings, the ones you have there were:

A neat layer of PVA. Then when dry another layer of PVA. Then when dry a layer of liquid green stuff.
    However, my last few bottles of liquid green stuff have been very solid and unusable, so my new buildings; the little ones and the walls, are several layers of polyfilla with some sanding if too bumpy.

Sweet, cheers – for sci Fi I can cheat a bit to hide joins with girders, but I suspect I’ll need to do some repair work too.

I’m thinking medium house and staired house bodged together into one building (cutting away a pair of roof edges to make one open roof) then an outhouse on top as a second floor. Something like that. With some corrugated steel and girder type bits. I’m also going to recreate the ‘two buildings on one base with a gap’ idea, this time for parking hovertrucks!

Anyway, I’ll carry this on in my sci Fi thread soon!

Participant

That looks really cool.  There was some guy who painted all his adobes with magnetic paint.  He then was able to swap out doors and sci fi doodads really easily.  Pretty neat idea.

I cant wait to see your progress!

Cheers dude. That’s a good idea – I did toy with making magnetic accessories for sci-fi, but I like terrain to look like little dioramas, so I’ve decided just to make a seperate sci-fi version of the town.

The adobe on the buildings is done, just detailing and basing to do now:

Participant

They will do nicely for both sci-fi and crom I reckon, just adding a few sci-fi bits like you talked about will change the whole feel of the structure.

What are you doing with the bases?

Cheers – yeah I think so, though the amphorae don’t sit that well with me, sci-fi wise. I am going to order a few more for sci-fi conversion though, really like these buildings.

Bases will be my usual recipe of sand colour and homemade ‘glaze’ – it’s how I do everything from bases to big boards.

Participant

Looking very good Jagannath! Inspiring me to paint my CA buildings.  What have you put the buildings on? is it plasticard?

Thanks – they where really easy and fun to get to this stage.

Yeah – 2mm Plasticard. I strictly use evergreen – it’s much more expensive but it doesn’t warp at all. Then I shape them, then I wet and dry all the surfaces to help with paint sticking.

The little downside to plasticard is that you have to be a bit careful, any chips show through white and bright!

Hiya Folks,

Cheeky little update – converted and painted a little homage to Head Lopper, who looks like this if you haven’t seen:

Here’s my take:

Keymaster

It dawned on me the other day, what I like about your painting style so much.
    They have a very much comic book feel about them, almost like they are digital artwork in high end graphic novels.

It dawned on me the other day, what I like about your painting style so much.
    They have a very much comic book feel about them, almost like they are digital artwork in high end graphic novels.

Ah thanks very much – I think it’s probably the blacklining, I make a real effort to leave black between ‘parts’ of a model, I think it really helps the eye read such small models. I also can’t do ‘subtle’ painting, I’ve never quite got the knack.

Keymaster

Polar!
    I never leave black outlining as it does not look ‘real’ to me.
    Though maybe real is not always best.

Keen to see what you do with Erland and Eydis when they are on sale.

Participant

Looks good!  Nice to see an old guy getting set up as a hero!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Amazing!  It’s nice to see so much variation on a similar sculpt.  I like the aged warrior theme as well.

Excellent painting.  I think you’ve perfected a perfect style-colorful for the scale, and black lining for the detail.

Any updates sir?

😉

Yes actually – It’s been a while!

I painted these fantastic minis a while ago . I’ve still got some more of the excellent Beastman range to finish off too – very cool release from Khurasan. Minotaur couldn’t fit in better to the mish-mash desert fantasy setting I’m slowly accumulating.

Mike, I’m also about 90% through those buildings I bought off you *ages* ago, so should be posting those soon.

Nice work, you bugger!!

Oooh yes, buildings and people, does that mean a game?

Participant

Those are some beefy beasties.  Hmmm, I wonder if it’s PC to bbq them up once they are defeated…?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Wow, I’m missing out here. Can’t believe I’ve missed this thread.

Cracking paint jobs. Gives me something to inspire too.

Ah thanks very much folks, I try!

Nice work, you bugger!!

Oooh yes, buildings and people, does that mean a game?

Soon – I’m taking an odd approach in that I want to have *loads* finished before I start, then dedicate a weekend or two to rattling through a set of adventures.

I’m going to make an oasis next I think.

Happy new year all!

Kicking off 2019 nicely, I’ve finished up this group of bandits and general ruffians.

These guys are drawn from a few different Forged in Battle packs, and I wanted them to represent a mix of races and backgrounds – I originally pictured them as escaped slaves (indeed, a couple of them are from the Spartacus slave rebellion packs) – and now I think of them as more general ne’er-do-wells, but still a mixed group down on their luck. Like old west bandits.

All in all I think they’ll be really useful for little ambush scenarios and raids.

Keymaster

Excellent skills. I need some more ruffian types too.

Good work. Any closer to having *loads* ?

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.