Home Forums WWII Cruel Seas playing area / thoughts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Got a ‘free’ sprue from Warlord Games today (technically my wife did as WI cannot change the subscription gift name for some reason) of two Cruel Seas Vospers.

I used to play the old Tabletop Games MTB with card ships but recently sold it as part of a clear out and it needing more space than I can clear…

Looking on the Warlord Games site the mats are shown as 6×4 but I wonder if you could play it in a 3×3 or 3×4 area at all?

I also see it’s bern passed over to Skytrex and has not changed in a few years (the errata is 10 pages) and a concern or two lingers over posts saying the author has zero plans for the game and still suffers lots of issues despite the errata.

I’m not looking for a complex / historically accurate game or massive number of ships (4-6 a side at most) but it does seem to be very quiet on the forum. Anyone here playing it care to share their thoughts?

TIA…

Participant

The movement for the faster boats is quite high so the smaller map might seem a bit cramped.

It is a game I enjoy playing but once you move away from the small fast boats fighting each other its flaws do tend to become more apparent

Participant

Despite the flaws I like the rules. However, I opted for 1/600th scale to get a bit more space on a 6’x4′ table. 1/300th on a 3’x3′ would be uncomfortably tight I’d have thought.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

The Cruel Seas Starter Set comes with an A0 (33.1 x 46.8 inches) size paper sea mat. Having tried it,  I’d say it’s just about the minimum playable area for a simple scenario with a couple of MTBs / S-Boats. I very quickly graduated to a proper 6ft x 4ft mat. The 1/300 scale vessels are very nice, but do need a good size playing area to get the best out of the game.

As for the rules, they give a fun, quick game. Not particularly complex. Basic rules cover about eight pages, including diagrams / tables. I think they were originally rushed out without proper proofreading, hence the errata. Nothing that actually broke the game, but an annoyance none-the-less. Not sure if Warlord ever bothered to incorporate them into later print runs of the rulebook.

You can halve the scale fairly easily.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

As with several Warlord games, fun rules but the models are simply too big.  The models are so large and the ranges such that scrums in the middle looking a bit silly are common. At 1/300 you can have the models very close yet still a medium ranges. Those that opted for 1/600 or 1/1200 probably get a game with a better feel unless you double/triple the ranges and use a bigger area.

In Victory at Sea a destroyer physically touching a battleship near the stern will, unless Japanese, not be at point blank measuring bridge to bridge as the rules require.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Thanks for the comments and thoughts – decided ‘not for me’.

The sprue is now up for ‘sale’ (well free bar from P&P) here

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.