Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Greek caiques for WW2 coastal warfare

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,  Interested in the hive mind’s input on some additional vessels for coastal naval warfare c.1940-1945, principally in the Mediterranean theatre.

I’m mainly looking for Greek caiques (armed and unarmed) for use as either German troop transports or as landing/rescue vessels for Allied raiders (SBS and the like) in scenarios.  Anyone know who might make them – either in 1:300 or 1:600?  I am aware of PT Dockyard in the US, which has Yugoslavian and Romanian vessels – and also some German – that might be suitable; I already have a lot of his stuff (luckily bought before the one wall that Trump DID manage to construct, cut us off from the US postally).  Shapeways have nowt of any use and are very pricey anyway.  H&R (ex-Skytrex), like PT-D very good but nothing suitable.  Were there not more ranges in the UK?  (Fairly sure one was bought up by Stronghold in Scotland before it disappeared into the mists/myths of time.)

Any help appreciated.

ps:  Will there be a revival of the UK Naval Wargames Weekend/Day this autumn?

Participant

There is Scotias Ship to Shore 1/300 range but a quick look through doesn’t find anything Greek…

https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=224_225_70&sort=20a&page=7

Regards

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

Irregular Miniatures have a fishing boat…….in their 6mm Boats&Cars.

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

Supplementary question – how were the various types of PT Boats distributed in the Med.  Would a unit have all Elcos or all Higgins (if only to simplify repair/maintenance), or a mix, and if the latter how was that mix determined?

Thanks.

Participant

Grimheart – No, nothing suitable there, but some fabulous D-Day bits and pieces which I can use for a different scenario, so thanks very much for that.

Gaz – Thanks, not quite what I’m looking for, but a useful range to be aware of all the same.

Participant

SDD did a caique from the WW2 Yugoslav partisan navy in 1/600 – in the picture below, from the “Don’t throw bloody spears at me” blog.

No longer available, afaik. Worth keeping an eye out for second hand, maybe?

SDD Yugoslav Partisan Navy models

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Thanks – yes, I’d heard of this range.  I believe David Manley sculpted several of the models?  A real shame that the range is not only no longer available, but that the guy who bought it no longer seems to be in contact with the rest of the wargaming world.

Interesting twist for anyone who chose WW2 coastal warfare to get away from having to do rigging at this scale!

Participant

The owner of Stronghold (who had the SDD range) died after a long illness, so perhaps it’s understandable!

Participant

Oh, blimey – apologies.  Why is that not more widely known?  I can’t recall seeing any announcements about it.

Participant

He’d more or less dropped out of circulation. It was a small post on LAF or somewhere. I can’t find it now.

Participant

That’s a shame.  Did anyone approach his executors about taking over his business interests?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.