Home Forums Ancients I Samuel 5:2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

“Then the Philistines took the ark of God and brought it into the house of Dagon and placed it beside Dagon.”

Another addition to my 15mm Biblical town, this time inspired by the above Bible verse.

The temple is based on the Philistine temple excavated at Tell Quasile, near Tel Aviv.

As always built on a Sarissa Precision Terrain Tile, this time 300mm square.

Built from MDF, with assorted bits of dowel and pine strip. Textured with chinchilla sand and painted with Mylands Marble Matt emulsion paint. Window frames are dice frames from Pendraken/Minibits, doors from Cedar of Lebanon. (Of course!)

As always, the dirt and sand on the base is from Israel.

Inside we have the Ark and Dagon himself. Details of the Ark below, the Dagon idol is scratchbuilt from green stuff on a brass wire armature.

Next a Forged in Battle priest offering a Baueda boar as a sacrifice.

The kitchen, also Baueda with a Donnington cook preparing the last sacrifice for the congregation. Note the Blue Rock Thrush in the pomegranate tree. He is a 3d resin print from Infernal Prints on eBay. The tree is scratchbuilt.

The neighbouring shrine of Ishtar. Crom’s Anvil firebowl either as a beacon, or to allow me to take the roof off!

Priestess from Mick Yarrow Miniatures, idol scratchbuilt like her consort.

Finally, the somewhat obsessive bit: the Ark of the Covenant. Made, as instructed, from Shittim wood. (It has taken me over twenty years to find some!) Cherubim are N gauge model rail cats with cigarette paper wings. All gold leafed, with a bit of paint to fill the missed bits and tone it down a little.

And, of course, the contents of the Ark. The Tablets of the Law, made according to tradition from lapis lazuli, and rectangular rather than round-topped. A jar of manna from the time the tribes were wandering in the desert (Essex Miniatures) and Aaron’s rod, made, as it should be, from Almond wood. (Courtesy of a guitar plectrum.)

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Keymaster

Blimey, fair play!!

That has some kudos to it.

Participant

Any chance of a close-up of Dagon?

All the best,

John.

Participant

Certainly! Here he is with the missus…

Not great, but they serve the intended purpose.

Dagon based on a statue of his dad, El, from Megiddo, and Ishtar based on a statue found at Mari.

Participant

Awesome project.  Well done!

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Very nicely done

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

I thought Dagon was a fish god in competition with Cthulhu, living in Innsmouth.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

Dagon was a corn god from Mesopotamia, later identified as a fish god because the Hebrew דג, dag means fish. One of these gods makes for better stories than the other!

Participant

Great work as always.

Participant

Thanks, all for the kind words.

Participant

You never cease to amaze me with your modelling skills, attention to detail and research.

Hugely impressive for all those reasons!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

And if you want to take the ark to Shilo, check this out:

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Stunning (and that’s before you get to the use of ‘real’ materials).

Cleaver use of the dice frames for windows – not sure if you have seen the Warbases frames and shutters?

Participant

That’s amazing. What a nicely researched and executed project. Congratulations.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Thanks gents, and apologies to Mike H for missing his kindness when it was awarded!

Andrew, yes, I have used some of the Warbases stuff, but they tend to be  a bit big for 15mm, hence resorting to dice frames rather than trying to mitre 2mm pine strip!

Participant

Dan,

I have the materials to build the Tabernacle at Shiloh, but it will not be small, and I’m not sure where it will live, but maybe one day…

Participant

…hence resorting to dice frames rather than trying to mitre 2mm pine strip!

So true – they will shrink things as a bespoke service – the service has been great the times I used them. They even kept the details over three+ years rather than redo the set up again for me.

When I built wooden boats I wanted a Mitre cutter like these (https://youtu.be/MXFQT-xuTu4) – again big for your needs though 🙂

Could this be a good excuse reason to buy a 3D printer or laser cutter?

Participant

I must admit to having considered buying a laser cutter, but recognised that, in order to benefit from the expense, compared to buying from people like Warbases and Pendraken, I would probably have to live another thirty years. Possible, but unlikely. Also I would have to find space to store the thing!

Participant

Just brilliant work!

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Geof

If you have something extremely strong and clear to aim for, the body might actually will itself to live the extra time.

Dan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.