Home Forums General General Is There a Frontpage to this website

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Given the number of boards already up on this website, is there a ‘Frontpage’ of recent topics anywhere? Is it that I just haven’t found it yet?

Keymaster

There is this: http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/ which shows all the boards and when the last post was in that board.

Participant

Thanks, Mike. But it doesn’t immediately tell me what the posts are ABOUT.

Keymaster

I see.
    It is something we did have but there were problems, so it had to be removed.
    I am looking at a way of doing either the latest 10 posts or the most popular posts, or something similar.

There are a few issues though, not everyone likes all topics, so for some, seeing the latest 10 posts may be of no value to them if the periods the posts are about do not interest them.
    So lets say you don’t like historical games and the last 10 posts are all historical, that feature would be of no value.
    Etc.
    That is one of the many problems with forums, a lot of people want it exactly how they would like it, which is fine, except how people want it is rarely the same for everyone.

That, though to be fair, is a minor issue.

The problem we had before was that it would show the latest posts including posts from areas of the forum you may not have access to.
    So last time, a standard member could see posts in the Sponsors and Traders areas and even read them by clicking the the link from the latest posts tab.
    That was clearly not good so it had to be removed.

So to summarise (thank heavens you say)
    No, not yet, but there will be if we can.

Participant

I think that finding out what topics are about is fairly strait forward on this forum.  It is hard to get it perfect for everyone, we all have our own aims, wishes and opinions some we agree with some we do not, that’s life as the saying goes “you can please some of the people some of the time etc”.

This site has only been going a short time and I personally think its doing really well as it is an infant in a world of adults but it is growing fast into adulthood.  I find that I look at more stuff, while looking for latest post, the system allows you to have follow up e-mails on a particular subject if you want.  It’s all about enjoying the forum, I find it very relaxing scanning though the forum pages and have already picked up some new war-gaming tips and idea’s, by going into area’s that I might not have considered before, not bad going for an old salt like me.

Participant

I think the forums ‘list’ page showing the time of the last post is OK at the moment. It could become a bit clunky if many more boards are added, though.

A frontpage type of thing with the latest ‘X’ number of posts would be handy!

Keymaster

Keymaster

Participant

Good and useful !!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.