Home Forums Modern Looking to interview tankers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As part of my PhD research I’m looking to interview anyone with at least several years of armoured experience, ideally platoon leaders and tank commanders. Additionally I’m developing a manual game about controlling a tank platoon (or troop), and to make sure I’m on the right track I’d like to get your feedback on the game after playing online using Roll20, Tabletop Simulator, or Google Sheets. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Participant

Having precisely no experience of my own in AFVs, I shall nevertheless not be prevented from passing on the following deathless advice given to me by Lt-Col (now Col retd) Paddy Tabor, of the Blues and Royals, when I visited CAST South:

“Armoured tactics is very simple. It’s just pop up, peep peep, poop poop, pop down, piss off.”

All the best,

John.

Participant

What time period are you looking for?  My uncle was a USMC tanker with 2 tours in Vietnam.  He was a TC in both standard M48s as well as a flame thank and may be willing to correspond with you.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Thanks DSG, good question. I’m particularly interested in the mid-70s onwards.

Participant

I see.  He left tanks in ’72 (I think) when he ranked up (Master SGT I believe) and went into the Recon Battalion, so it sounds like he was too early.

I bet you could call the Public Affairs officer at Ft Hood and see if you can interview active personnel.  A better idea might be contacting veterans organizations for specific units via their webpages.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

How can I help?  Platoon Leader, Company XO and Company Commander in the early 80s.

Participant

Thanks for that, CS – your background is perfect. Could you contact me on riggs_nick at hotmail dot com and I can explain in more detail.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.