Home Forums Modern Matrix game players wanted

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For the last couple of years, I’ve taken part in Crisis Point, a large weekend-long annual wargame near Sheffield.

We’re currently looking for players (you can be based anywhere in the world) to take part in our matrix game. This is a play-by-email game that will last a couple of months and will go a long way to determining the events at Crisis Point 2016.

The games are set in Andreivia, a fictional ex-Soviet republic. All you need to take part in the matrix game is email. If you’re interested, reply here, join our Yahoo group, or post on our Facebook wall.

If you’re interested in playing in the game (19th & 20th March this year), reply or contact us as above. If you don’t have suitable models we’ll be able to provide some. If you have 20mm cold war models or figures, we’ll probably be able to use them. The setting was written to allow a great deal of flexibility in models ๐Ÿ˜‰

Military history author

Participant

At the risk of seeming ignorant, what is a matrix game?

Participant

Apparently they were invented by Chris Engle. They’re good for high-level games, and we use them to establish the background to the actions that are wargamed out at the weekend. They also lend themselves to play by email.

Taken from Richard’s initial explanation:

[Matrix games] involve players taking turns to state “arguments” that establish events.

I’d propose that our arguments be of the form:

Action – Result – Reason 1 – Reason 2 – Reason 3

The Umpire would then rate the argument as one of:

Very Strong (succeeds on a 2+)
    Strong (succeeds on a 3+)
    Average (succeeds on a 4+)
    Weak (succeeds on a 5+)
    Very weak (succeeds on a 6)
    Unrealistic (fails automatically).

Suppose we are playing a three player (plus umpire) Matrix Game of the 1066 campaign. The umpire has determined (by dice rolling) that the players will make their arguments in the order Normans then Saxons then Danes.

The first time round various arguments were made with the Norman player successfully arguing that William has the full support of the other Norman nobles. The Saxon and Danish players both failed in their arguments.

When the turn returns again to William, he argues as follows:

“The Normans build a fleet of ships in the bay of the Seine (Action). This means they will be able to transport an army to England (Result). They can do this because the coast of Normandy is wooded, the weather is fair in Spring and William has the support of the nobles (three Reasons).”

Note that of the three supporting Reasons only one has previously been established by an Argument. The other reasons may or may not be true. They don’t become true even if this Argument succeeds.

The umpire wavers between rating this Argument as Average or Weak but he rolls a d6 and gets five! The Normans now have a fleet of ships ready to carry their army (but note than neither good weather nor wooded coast are established as facts).

Fearing that he is getting left behind, Harold Godwinson argues:

“Bad weather destroys the Norman fleet (Action) setting their invasion plans back by months (Result). This happens because the English Channel can be stormy in Spring, the Bay of the Seine is relatively open and God supports the Anglo-Saxon side.”

This is asking for a lot and doesn’t have much in its favour. The Umpire declares that he can’t, in conscience, rate it higher than Very Weak (but notes that he’d have looked more favourably on an argument calling for a shorter delay or a partially damaged fleet). He rolls the die and it comes up… six! Harold has lucked out and the Norman fleet is indeed scattered by unseasonable storms.

It’s then Harald Hardrada’s turm and the game continues…

Military history author

Participant

Sounds like fun. How often would you need to contribute?

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

Paul,

Last year it varied a lot depending on people’s commitments in the real world. I think turns generally took one or two weeks, and you’d submit one argument per turn. Richard wrote up a summary of what had happened at the end of each turn.

So, you’d probably need to write an email every week or so, and read emails in between times.

Military history author

Participant

Sounds easily manageable. Sign me up please sir. Will drop you a private message later with my email address.

Participant

Excellent ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t know where in the world you are, but you’d be welcome to join us in Sheffield for the actual game if you can make it.

Military history author

Participant

ย Aย bit far from South Africa so will have to give it a miss.

Participant

As good as the games are, I don’t think they’re worth travelling from the other side of the world ๐Ÿ˜‰

Be good to have you in the matrix game, though.

Military history author

Participant

Does look pretty interesting, and it is my favoured era. Plus I do like to flex the old strategic rather than tactical brain muscles on occasion. Sheffield is a bit far for me to cart my 20mm stuff though.

Does this require the use of the yahoo group?

Participant

We use the Yahoo group normally. If that’s a problem for you, Richard might be able/willing to work around it.

Military history author

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.