Home Forums Terrain and Scenery My first rock cliff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have just built my first rock. I have also added some static grasses on the top. It will be used in a 6mm WWII wargame. I want to create all my terrain; hills, rivers, roads, hedges, trees …

Participant

That looks really good.  I think it will even be of use with other scales if you want.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

That looks really good. I think it will even be of use with other scales if you want.

Thanks. Yes I also think this could work but I want to focus only on 6mm scale.

Participant

Nicely done. The etching on the rock face is quite realistic.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

This looks very good. How did you make it? Is it heavy?

Participant

Thanks everyone.

This looks very good. How did you make it? Is it heavy?

I cut a piece of styrofoam and carved it. Then, when I was satisfied with the look, I rolled an aluminium foil ball on every surface to add texture.

For the painting, I began with mixing Mod Podge with black primer paint to make my rock more resistant. After that, I painted most of the rock with a dark grey acrylic paint. Then, I drybrushed it with a lighter grey and finally I lightly drybrushed with a light beige color.

After the painting was completed, I add a black wash on all its surface and let it dry.

I then decided to sprinkle some clay on the top. To make sure the clay stayed in place, I use an eardropper to cover the clay with a mix of 50% water and 50% white glue. I let it dry and add another layer of this diluted glue. Once everything was rock solid, I added some static grasses. I mixed different colors of static grasses because in nature all the grasses are not from the same species.

And that’s about it. I am now building a second rock, a little bit different this time.

Participant

Whoa, doesn’t look like foam at all I thought it was made from clay or even carved out of wood. Very nicely done.

Participant

Looks a lot better than my first rock hahaha.

I’ll echo what was said above, I thought it was made of clay at first glance.  Well done!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.