Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming My very first mission in the MiG-21

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Video from my very first MiG-21 Mission, MiG21 is seen as the hardest plane in DCS to fly.
    I blew the wheels on takeoff. Missed with all my rockets, ended up gunning a SA-2 radar, Then landed and broke one of my undercarriage legs. But still, no crashing, 1 SA-2 battery down, 8 Libyan MiGs on the ground cluster bombed, 4 Libyan MiGs shot down in the air, to the loss of 3 or 4 Egyptian MiGs.

Made me laugh around the half way mark “something is wrong, everythings is wrong” I love that moment flight sims. I miss playing flight sims.

Love the Mig-21, but hate the blue cockpit.
    How would you rate it vs other aircraft you’ve flown in DCS?
    What plane have you logged the most hours on?

Made me laugh around the half way mark “something is wrong, everythings is wrong” I love that moment flight sims. I miss playing flight sims. Love the Mig-21, but hate the blue cockpit. How would you rate it vs other aircraft you’ve flown in DCS? What plane have you logged the most hours on?

F16 and Sptifire,  but a surprising number of hours in the P47, F14 and F86.

When you do campaigns the hours really rack up and I did quite a few campaign missions in the F86.

I haven’t really pushed the 21, so hard to say, it’s perfectly easy keeping it flying under normal operations. But it’s damn wobbly when slow, you kinda have to slow down to do ground attack. And so it gets quite wobbly just as you’re about to fire off weapons. What I do know is. That if you fly outside its limits, you pull a little hard  you get a little slow in a corner and you will just fall the the ground.  I lost speed once. In a turn I was a good 4000 meters above the groud. But I could not recover. I put the nose down to get speed but nope. That plane wanted yo hit the ground. Even an F14 which you can totally push too far will generally let you recover if you can get back the speed.

And the fact that it’s delicate.

As you saw in the video I broke the tires and possibly undercarriage by bumping into the ground as I took off. Something like that wouldn’t have bothered the F16. That said the F16 while rock solid is far harder to keep straight om takeoff and landing as anti skid is still missing for the module.  So you have yo work the rudder like it’s a warbird. Lots of small fast adjustment to keep it more or less straight. No plane has killed me more on takeoff and landing than the F16.

Sounds like Mig-21 is a challenge to fly. Is the anti-skid module a F-16 thing or DCS wide?

I also saw something about a dynamic campaign for DCS do you anything about that?

Participant

I’ve always liked how you don’t pull any punches without yourself or your performance.  DCS just seems to have so much to keep track of.  I guess like real life it gets easier with repetition on the same aircraft.

As for the landings, maybe a longer straight approach?

That vertical climbing gun attack by the AIs in that dogfight was insane!  Really blew my mind!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Sounds like Mig-21 is a challenge to fly. Is the anti-skid module a F-16 thing or DCS wide? I also saw something about a dynamic campaign for DCS do you anything about that?

It’s an F16, simply not implemented yet. The F18 has anti skid and is super easy to takeoff with. Even older stuff like F86 or F14 are easy to takeoff with. But F16 is just slippery.

Dynamic campaign is a long way off as of  noe they can’t even add basic mid game save feature. So before we get Dynamic campaign they’ll need to fix the track file problem, which is needed to get mid game safe feature thing, which is needed to get some sort of dynamic campaign going.

However there is a program called liberation, it let’s you set up dynamic campaigns. Based on exactly what you want or based on historic campgians. It even let’s you use mods like Hercules,  A4, Blackhawk,  and F104 etc.

I’ve tried to use it a few times. But it requires a  lot of fine tuning as the program generally makes the missions way to big. Meaning you need a very powerful PC to play them and if you use VR you need to delete stuff to be able to run it. When I tried it I hit a bug, so that when I started a mission my harrier launched into the air and exploded.

I’ve always liked how you don’t pull any punches without yourself or your performance. DCS just seems to have so much to keep track of. I guess like real life it gets easier with repetition on the same aircraft. As for the landings, maybe a longer straight approach? That vertical climbing gun attack by the AIs in that dogfight was insane! Really blew my mind!

Yeah the AI has a ludicrous with their aim. Often but not always they will only fire when they “know” they will hit. So they fire a super short burst and it hits. This can be very annoying. Also in ww2 settings.

MiG21 AI will often forgo the use of older missiles and prefer to use cannons.

The AI superior omniscience/omnipotence is very obvious in ground attack. They almost never miss. You give them an order to attack  ground target that target will get hit unless the planes gets destroyed. I made a mission for ww2 attack on an airfield and put some spitfires on the job of taking out AAA, not only did each bomb hit a 88mm perfect each time. But when they where down to guns,  they’d take out each 88 with a single quarter second burst. Perfect accuracy.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 25px !important;”>I’ve always liked how you don’t pull any punches without yourself or your performance. DCS just seems to have so much to keep track of. I guess like real life it gets easier with repetition on the same aircraft. As for the landings, maybe a longer straight approach? That vertical climbing gun attack by the AIs in that dogfight was insane! Really blew my mind!

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Yeah the AI has a ludicrous with their aim. Often but not always they will only fire when they “know” they will hit. So they fire a super short burst and it hits. This can be very annoying. Also in ww2 settings.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>MiG21 AI will often forgo the use of older missiles and prefer to use cannons.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>The AI superior omniscience/omnipotence is very obvious in ground attack. They almost never miss. You give them an order to attack ground target that target will get hit unless the planes gets destroyed. I made a mission for ww2 attack on an airfield and put some spitfires on the job of taking out AAA, not only did each bomb hit a 88mm perfect each time. But when they where down to guns, they’d take out each 88 with a single quarter second burst. Perfect accuracy.

Sounds like the same problem with ArmA. AI being too accurate at time while stupid in others breaks the immersion. I went abc checked out DCS world today but stopped myself from downloading it.

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 25px !important;”>I’ve always liked how you don’t pull any punches without yourself or your performance. DCS just seems to have so much to keep track of. I guess like real life it gets easier with repetition on the same aircraft. As for the landings, maybe a longer straight approach? That vertical climbing gun attack by the AIs in that dogfight was insane! Really blew my mind!

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Yeah the AI has a ludicrous with their aim. Often but not always they will only fire when they “know” they will hit. So they fire a super short burst and it hits. This can be very annoying. Also in ww2 settings. <p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>MiG21 AI will often forgo the use of older missiles and prefer to use cannons. <p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>The AI superior omniscience/omnipotence is very obvious in ground attack. They almost never miss. You give them an order to attack ground target that target will get hit unless the planes gets destroyed. I made a mission for ww2 attack on an airfield and put some spitfires on the job of taking out AAA, not only did each bomb hit a 88mm perfect each time. But when they where down to guns, they’d take out each 88 with a single quarter second burst. Perfect accuracy.

Sounds like the same problem with ArmA. AI being too accurate at time while stupid in others breaks the immersion. I went abc checked out DCS world today but stopped myself from downloading it.

The AI problems are more noticeable in ww2 or even Korea then in later periods.

Even I can hit ground targets almost 100% of the time in a F16 or Harrier. So that the AI does it is less of a problem compared to the close to 100% accuracy of iron bombs from a spitfire or Me109 AI.

The AIs flight characteristics are also less notable when  flying jets.

That at MiG29 or MiG21 with afterburners can go up and up is within reason. That a Spitfire IX can climb straight up for 30 seconds like it’s a late war Me109k kinda breaks the immersion. If I fly a Spitfire I’ll break the engine I’m about 10 seconds if I go straight up.

It’s also noticeable in Korea period stuff. The F86 and MiG15 are more or less thr same plane. Slight strengths and weaknesses.  But in the history of aerial duels those to planes are probably the closest in performance there ever was. However when flying against n AI mig15. It feels like it has afterburners. It can just climb and climb, it will pull away from you on the straights, never running out of energy.  But once you get to afterburner planes it feels more realistic.

It’s looking bright for DCS.

Besides a crap tone of planned cold war jets; F4, F8, A7, A6, Kafir, Mirage 3. MiG23, MiG17(some uncertainty on that one)  onto of those we have Mirage F1, F14, MiG21, A4(mod) Viggen etc. Many see the 60s to late 70s/early 80s as the best place for DCS, with Sinai map coming perfect for 50s to 80s conflict and the Kola Map, perfect for 50s to 2000 Nato vs Soviet/Russia conflicts. Stuff are looking up.

They have promised Multicore support as well as Vulcan API both should improve performance. Dynamic weather is coming,  and they have started work on fixing AI flight behaviour, first up and partly implemented is BVR behaviour, the AI now behaved quite realistically when you are throwing missiles at each other from 20 to 100 NM distance.  Next up is BFM, which should make dogfights more realistic. As well as AI behaviour for formation flying.  So stuff is getting better, but with DCS everything that doesn’t give instant financial benefits (like a new plane, new map etc) takes forever.

Now after some 5 years they’ve finally fixed cooling problems with most of the Warbirds, you can now finally fly the P51 as it was ment to, without having to worry about breaking the engine.

Only taken some 5 years.

The Spitfire is still partly broken, but in the Spitfire’s case it’s over cooling. If you fly the Spitfire on low RPM and low boost(like real pilots did on longer missions to save fuel) the engine will over cool and break. That’s not fixed. Neither is the correct ammo belt composition for US .50 cals P47 and P51 is missing 1 or 2 type of rounds in their belt, which might explain why those guns appear to do less damage then what appears from the sources. This has taken some 2 or 3 years of constant reminding from the players to get any improvement on. Apparently the belts are fixed,  but the process of getting it into a patch is super slow. At least 5 months now(about 7 updates)

Thanks for that breakdown. I rally value negatives more than positives when evaluating things and that helped me make my mind about DCS. Even if I wanted to get into it my PC isn’t stronk enough I think and no aircraft apart from the A-4 and MiG-21 really get my interest.

I think I’ll go back to Strike Fighters when I feel like flying, it has A-4s, dynamic campaigns and moddable. For all its faults those three things are good enough to make up for it.

Thanks for that breakdown. I rally value negatives more than positives when evaluating things and that helped me make my mind about DCS. Even if I wanted to get into it my PC isn’t stronk enough I think and no aircraft apart from the A-4 and MiG-21 really get my interest. I think I’ll go back to Strike Fighters when I feel like flying, it has A-4s, dynamic campaigns and moddable. For all its faults those three things are good enough to make up for it.

Yeah come back to DCS in a year or two. Then many more 50-70s planes will be in, hopefully the performance will be better etc. Might even have a Vietnam map if we’re lucky. But I don’t think a dynamic campaign will be in place in 2 years.

I’m looking forward to the F4 more and more but also the F8 and A7. One can even hope the Skyraider might be made.

It will be a dream to cruise in a Huey over the jungle canopy. Given the current map sizes being made. One can hope for a map that covers all of Vietnam and probably some parts of the neighbouring countries.

Vietnam map will be interesting. I wonder how they’ll do jungles. Flying Huey over a jungle does sound good.

Vietnam map will be interesting. I wonder how they’ll do jungles. Flying Huey over a jungle does sound good.

The free Marianas map has lots of jungle(islands aren’t that big, but what there is of them are all jungle except for where there are houses, airports or golf courses.

Sometime hopefully this year a WW2 version of the map will come. Which might be a decent test for how Vietnam might look.

The upcoming top end Australia  map will be mostly desert. And modern Darwin,  but the north east part of the map will be Kakadu National Park, which will give us 20 000km2 of jungle/tropical rainforest.  Not an exact match Vietnam.  But it will he the biggest patch of jungle/rainforest in DCS up to that point.

Participant

If you want to fly Hueys over jungle there are 2 games out there that aren’t super bad with the flight models: Whirlwinds Over Vietnam (an older game but not bad, campaign is about LZ X-ray) and the new Prairie Fire mod for ARMA 3.  Gunships are better with a copilot to fire the other weapons, but that’s only possible in ARMA.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

ArmA is great as helicopter sim, but I end up playing infantry everytime.

It’s a shame arma doesn’t support VR, but would never work in ARMA 3 as it runs like a 40 year old Mazda 4 cylinder 323 that only runs on 2 cylinders.

And the new arma thing the half game half payed demo runs only moderately better. Prairie Fire in VR would have been so amazing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.