Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Oh big WW2 DCS news

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The last few months, DCS has released juicy news each Friday.

So far we’ve learned about upcoming maps and moduals.

Like Kola Peninsula map that covers northern Nordic and Russia. Northern Australia, and Sinai map.

We’ll also get planes likes Torando(probably one of top 3 requested planes in DCS) Hercules,  Skyraider, G.91R.

Last Friday,  we got new about the expansion of Normandy map, this was teased back in January, but now seems close to release,  and we get more info.

It will cover southern English from London to Northern France down to Paris. And east to the Belgian border(some say parts of Belgium will be in the  map,  but that’s not confirmed)

The old map, now known as Normandy 1, was about 84 000km2, while the channel map is just 38 000km3. This Normandy 2 map will be 240 000km2. And will cover most of Normandy 1 and Channel map. As well as much more.

Besides all the new stuff, the old parts from Normandy 1 will get a huge graphics improvement (Normandy 1 generally seen as not a very good map graphically)

So this will be exiting.

Participant

Which game is this for again?

DCS (digital combat simulator)

Participant

Oooo that Skyraider will be several tons of fun for you!  Talk about a bomb-truck.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

oh yeah, DCS is starting to have many many Vietnam era planes (a bit off based on the model version on some of the, but close enough)
    We have the Mig21, Huey, MiG19, before the year is over we’ll most likely get F4.
    Then further out we have the Skyraider, F8, A7, F100, and possibly the MiG17, the A6(tho that one will be a bit to modern to really be a Vietnam-era plane) We also have the A4 mod, Bronco mod, as well as many more things I can’t remember, But DCS refuses to give us Vietnam map and Vietnam infantry. Those generic modern stuff just don’t look right, running out of your Huey in the jungle. It looks like that Austrialia map “MIGHT” have a nice 20 000km2 national park rainforest, that will probably be “vietnam” for years to come.

Participant

Lots of good stuff coming then.  The A-6 Intruder is definitely a Vietnam era plane my friend!  Haven’t you ever seen the movie “Flight Of The Intruder”?  (it’s a good one)  Unless they’re making a more modern version or the Prowler.

My Uncle’s father flew the F-8 in Vietnam (and the F9F in Korea!), 2 deployments with VF 211 and VF24, first as the XO then CO.  His squadron shot down 3 Migs during his tours though I never did find out if he personally engaged in any dogfights.

There’s a Vietnam flight sim that’s probably 8 or 10 years old if you have the itch for Rolling Thunder.  I doubt it’s much good compared to todays offerings.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Lots of good stuff coming then. The A-6 Intruder is definitely a Vietnam era plane my friend! Haven’t you ever seen the movie “Flight Of The Intruder”? (it’s a good one) Unless they’re making a more modern version or the Prowler. My Uncle’s father flew the F-8 in Vietnam (and the F9F in Korea!), 2 deployments with VF 211 and VF24, first as the XO then CO. His squadron shot down 3 Migs during his tours though I never did find out if he personally engaged in any dogfights. There’s a Vietnam flight sim that’s probably 8 or 10 years old if you have the itch for Rolling Thunder. I doubt it’s much good compared to todays offerings.

Yes the A6 will be late 80s early 90s version,  I think the last model before it was removed. None of the Vietnam jets in DCS will actually be Vietnam jets, except for the upcoming F100.

The MiG21 is the Bis model so 1971 with ability for late 70s weapons. The the upcoming F4 will very very late Vietnam, the models we get shows up in 73 I think. (The F4 will come in several modules, first two versions will be variations on the E, one early 70s and one late 70s. We will get navy version later and possibly the D(which is Vietnam era)

The A7 will be early/mid 80s I think.

So it will all have to be “close enough “

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.