Home Forums Modern Team Rebel. 1985ish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Mark at Scale Creep Miniatures, just let me know that my 9 QRF  T-64’s have been shipped so here in a week or so I’ll have them assembled painted and ready to do battle with Team Rebel ( The unit still using M-60’s) . I’ll be using the Modern FOW rules for this one as I’ve been meaning to test them out. Pictures will be posted to my facebook page.

Participant

Awesome, can’t wait.  But what happened to the Russian and Bongo Harem?

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Oh I just got distracted …OH SHINY !!!!

Participant

Soko Love Elvira! Bongo Her Am!

Participant

Oh Kyoteblue:

I hear Khurasan is getting ready to release some new T-64’s on a T-64A and the other an up-armoured T-64BV!  Are you going to succumb to the siren-song of Khurasan kit or will you remain a proud consumer of QRF. I have order some T-64B’s and one T-64BV’s from  QRF and then I will make my mind up which way to go for the rest of the company, The BV’s will be for recent scenarios and the B’s for Cold War games.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Rod, I have no way to buy from Khurasan as he only takes pay pal, when I asked about sending a money order he turned me down. That and after the shenanigans of the sock puppet accounts I’m kinda glad I never bought any thing from him.

So QRF  (via Scale Creep Miniatures) will get my money .

I’m just a jerk like that.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

I would not call customer loyalty and an acute sense of morality “jerk-like”. You are a man of principal and that is praiseworthy. So QRF/Scale Creep along there little doggie and don’t you mind them northern ferinors and their odd ways.

While I really, really like the Khurasan minis and models, I am getting a little exasperated with some of the more fiddly bits on the three T-62’s I bought. The Abrams M1A2’s look great and will complement my Ultramodern US Marines and Army forces nicely. The three T-55’s look great and are much easier to assemble than the T-62’s and three BMP-1’s look great too. I accidentally ordered three BTR-80’s instead of BTR-60’s, so I’m looking pretty stupid on that count but those models look amazing too. When my QRF order arrives I will be able to compare and give you a more informed appraisal of both. I ordered an IMR engineering vehicle from QRF for my Cold War Soviets and I can hardly wait to see what that model looks like in person!

Cheers and great gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

I forgot to ask, when the 9 new T-64’s arrive how many 15mm T-64’s will you have? A full battalion of 31 vehicles?

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Rod , I will have 9 T-64’s  that is all Scale Creep Miniatures had so I bought all 9. If and when SCM get more in from QRF. I will buy some more.  31 seems like more than I could crowd onto the table even in 15mm.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

So what are you aiming for? A company of ten tanks? Two companies? What’s the plan man? What do you see as the force you are working towards? I am interested as I am trying to figure out what is the right number of vehicles to field in Modern 15mm scale. Right now my plan is to build a Soviet motor rifle company of infantry and have ten BMP-1’s and ten BTR-60’s as options for transport. To this will be a four-tank platoon of T-55’s, a four-tank platoon of T-62’s and a ten-tank company of T-64’s. Added to this will be Recce detachments of BRDM-2’s and BRDM-2(rkh)’s, ATGW detachments of BRDM-2 AT-5’s, SAM detachments of BRDM-2 SA-9’s and various pieces of engineering equipment.

The NATO forces will likely be limited to platoons rather than companies or squadrons. I will have a troop of seven Lynx CRV’s, a pair of platoons of Canadian infantry in eight M113’s, a troop of Leopard 1a4’s, a detachment of two M150 TOW’s a more modern detachment of two M901 TUA’s and some assorted AA and engineering kit.

The Brits will have FV 432’s, Chieftains, Swingfire FV 438’s and some Recce detachments and engineers.

Finally, my Americans will have M113’s and M-2 Bradleys, M-60A3’s, M1A1 Abrams, M150 TOW’s some Cavalry M113’s, some M-3 Bradleys and assorted detachments.

I also intend to make a Czech force of ten OT-64’s and four T-72’s plus some OT-65 scout cars. That will mean painting up another company of infantry in Czech kit.

then it will be on to Germans and Frenchmen and finally the Dutch.

So am I on the right track or should I scale up for NATO to company/squadron sized unit?

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Plan……….I just throw toys on the table and see what happens…..At least till the official BF Cold War Goes Hot rules and forces books come out. So Yeah I’ll just use what I have M-60’s and M-113 from Vietnam/ Arab Israeli Wars and The T-64’s BMP-1 BTR-60s and some sandy looking T-55’s. Fighting it out somewhere in West Germany. Oh and off table heavy arty.

Participant

Oh and Col. Sokolove’s Dad, Major Sokolove will be in command of the Russians who are fighting Team Rebel.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Wasn’t Col. Sokolove’s old man fighting in your WWII scenario? I seem to remember a reference to that somewhere.

Please tell me about your Cold War forces. Watcha got? How many you got? etc. etc.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Yeah the history of the Sokolove family is a bit confused…I need to make a family tree or something like that.    My kinda sorta Soviets are 5 T-72’s  5 BMP-1 3 BTR-60 and 3 Self propelled Arty ( 152mm guns ?) The 9 T-64’s when they arrive, and 24 T-55’s (20 are BF models and 4 Peter Pig). I need a bit more but that and some Infantry will be the core of the Soviet hordes .

Participant

Kyoteblue:

24 T-55’s! You must really love T-55’s. 16 more and you have a complete tank battalion for a Motor Rifle Regiment!  I saw your SP Arty on the Facebook page and while they were very hard to make out clearly, I got the sense that they were 122mm 2S1’s from the shape of their hulls and turrets. The did not look boxy enough to be 152mm 2S3’s.

Do you have infantry for the BMP’s and BTR’s? If so what type? Russian, East German, Polish, Czech, Hungarian?

I noticed there was no recce or support detachments except the Arty. No BRDM’s, AT-5’s, SA-9’s, etc.?

What do you have to oppose them? US kit I would imagine.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Oh and Kyoteblue, you may want to give this a wee look over if you haven’t seen it before. I find it quite useful.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/weg.pdf

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I don’t have any 1970’s 80’s Soviet Infantry right now. But I will get some. I have the  20 T-55’s cause BF nerfs the Arab armies so you need tons of them to take on 2 Israeli Centurion’s…

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Ah, I see. Well the FOW rules must be really lop-sided if you need 20-24 T-55’s to take on 2 Centurions is a “fair” fight.

Rod Robertson

Participant

I exaggerate but not by much.

Participant

You can’t ever have too many T55 🙂 The things are like mushrooms: Turn a rock and you might just find a T55 sitting under it.

Participant

There is that, Ivan.

Participant

Ivan:

Truer words are seldom said, especially if the rock is Iraq.

Kyoteblue:

Do you have Middle Eastern infantry to go along with all those T-55’s? For the expense of buying only 5 more BMP-1’s and 7 more BTR-60’s you could field either a mechanised or a wheeled Motor Rifle Company to scare the poop out of any NATO opponent foolish enough to take you on. Just that and a mere 22 stands of Infantry and you’re there! You can do it, Honcho!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

My modern infantry are mostly unpainted or un-bought. I should get some modernish middle eastern infantry. Er and Russians an US.

Participant

T-64 turned up in the mail today !!!

Participant

Kyoteblue:

So, how do they look? Are they T-64A’s or T-64B’s? I’m jealous because mine have not arrived yet. Are you going to order one more to have o full tank company? Dish details ,dude!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Coupla points gents:

Sharing the love on T55’s – to my (tiny) mind the tankiest tank of them all. Not really a huge fan of the t-64 -just looks odd to me with its tiny wheels – saw one in Berlin as a snot nose toddler and just felt, compared to the T34-85 on the plinth behind it, that ny go-cart had  bigger wheels! Funny how childhood impression linger! Anyway my 3rd Shock Army will be equipped with T-72s – my toys, my rules, and damn the history, to coin a phrase!

Yes also a huge fan of both QRF and Khurusan. Love the Khurusan Abrams – just lovely, as is their T-90. Must get some of their T-55s! QRF do a pretty good Chieftain Stillbrew and assorted Post war wheeled British stuff – Saracen, Ferret etc. Their SU24 FROGFOOT is just standout magnificent – a huge model though! Skytrex do the best 432 IMHO.

For T-72s, BTRs etc I don’t think you can do better than Zvezda, although I could wish they were a bit cheaper for plastic.

Also starting to get REALLY excited about BattleFront doing the Cold War

Rod – very keen to hear your views on the QRF bits you ordered.

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

Kyoteblue:

I am jonesing for a report there Kyoteblue. I have to live vicariously through you until my own order arrives, so help a fellow lead-junkie out and give me a fix of some T-64, dude! For the love of Pete, don’t leave me hang’in here!

Sparker:

I just finished assembling two Khurasan M1A2 Abrams for my Ultramodern forces and they look great! They are not even primed or painted yet but they are so cool! I had a few difficulties with assembling the side-skirts but it was nothing that an X-acto knife and a file could not sort out in a couple of minutes of work. I have also just finished assembling three T-62’s and three T-55’s from Khurasan. The T-62’s were a bit of a chore to assemble but look really good now that they’re done. The T-55’s were a charm to assemble and look great. Man, they are beautiful tanks; if one can call a weapon of war “beautiful”. I stupidly ordered three BTR’s from Khurasan and only realised when they arrived that they were BTR-80’s and not the BTR-60’s I had thought I had ordered. It was my fault for not paying attention to what I was clicking on. But they will become part of the Ultramodern project, so no harm done; just me feeling somewhat stupid! Also delivered in that order were three BMP-1’s and their assembly is tomorrow morning’s entertainment. They look really good on first and superficial inspection.

My next order  with Khurasan will be for three more T-62’s, three more T-55’s, seven more BMP-1’s and ten BTR-60’s plus enough Soviet infantry to make a motor rifle company and some Recce teams. I wish Khurasan made some Soviet Sagger and Spandrel or Spigot teams and some grenade launchers but I’ll just have to look around for those. Mortar teams will be needed too. I also need to find some SA-7 armed infantry.

With respect to Cold War kit from QRF/TSS, all I have received to date are some Canadian Lynx CRV’s and those are very nice models. They are assembled but neither primed nor painted yet. There were some tricky bits in the assembly but the models came out looking so good I ordered enough to make a full seven vehicle troop. I have a whack of stuff on order from Old Glory too, so when that comes in, along with two orders from Geoff, I’ll be well on my way to Cold War Nirvana!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Sorry Rod, I had to have a tooth pulled and I’m still getting over that and have to take an occasional pain pill. Er if I want to eat. I’ll get working on the T-64’s I have 3 of each version that QRF make.  More when I’m coherent.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy and recover. Then report when you’re feeling up to it. If the pills don’t work try some Scottish whiskey, that’ll cure what ails ya boy’o!

Well, on the bright side this might get you outta doing some gardening for a while!

Best wishes.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Posted 4 photos of the bagged T-64’s and my other Russian Armor on my facebook page.  I’ll post more photos as I assemble and paint them.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

I saw the T-64’s on your Facebook page and was salivating the whole time. I’m so jealous! Incidentally, I am convinced that the SP guns in your pictures are 122mm 2S1’s and not 152mm 2S3’s. In one of your pictures there is a BTR in the foreground. Is it a BTR-70 or a BTR-80? I can’t tell from the picture but the very high back makes me suspect it’s an 80! Won’t that be too late for your Cold War plans? Thanks for posting those.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Well damn it… maybe I miss identified. It’s not like Howard Whitehouse knows old Soviet kit..He just sells it to the Sultanate of Ifat.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

What colour do you finish you Soviet kit with? It looks quite good!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

It’s Vallejo Russian Green an ink wash and Testors Dull Cote.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Well, whatever your doing with them, they’re looking very good! However you need more so think about expanding your infantry arm to company size. Do you base your infantry in teams as per FoW, or do you base them individually? All my infantry are individually based, including the Ultramodern Taliban, US Marines, the US Army Infantry and the Royal Marines. I will very likely base the Soviet Motor Rifle Infantry individually too. I just ordered them yesterday along with BTR-60PB’s and BMP-1’s from Khurasan Miniatures. Then it’s a waiting game until QRF/TSS gets the Cold War Canadian Infantry done. Once I get those painted, the balloon goes up in 15mm Cold War combat.

By the way, I was chatting with someone who hinted that Flytrap Factory  might be coming out with new figures in their Warfighter line. First up may be some modern European infantry and vehicles if the grapevine is accurate. I really like their figures and models so I am hoping these rumours are true. I know you don’t order stuff over the interweb but when you see their stuff you may change your custom. It’s that good!

I hope you are feeling better and I wish you and your empty socket a speed recovery.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I will get some Infantry and will base some as singles the rest on the Flames of War bases. Tooth is healing up and I almost got to start assembling  at T-64 but Pearl the wonder dog freaked out over something so I have to take care of her…Joyce is watching Victor Victoria for the 100th time….a wild Sat night in Oklahoma…

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Victor Victoria is a great movie! Julie Andrews, Robert Preston and James Garner! Could it get any better.

keep well.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Both Joyce and my late wife Margaret love Victor Victoria so I’ve seen it a couple of 100 times.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

As the late,great Warren Zevon once wrote ( and I paraphrase)’ “Poor, poor, pitiful you”. So go lay your head on the railroad tracks, wait’in for the Double-E. We all have our crosses to bear. Just be thankful it’s not a double bill with “Thoroughly Modern Millie”!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I’ll get pictures up on my face book later today/night.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.