Home Forums General General Use of Risk figures

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dreaming about the future of my block game (here) I was wondering about using Risk figures as it increases in size rather than ‘normal’ wargames figures.

A quick search on eBay shows many colours (could be an interesting twist) and raises a few questions:

1) Putting aside the ‘special versions’ (e.g. Star Wars), are the humans / horses / guns about the same size across the common versions (BGG lists 133 by the way)? This seller on eBay U.K. lists two type of mounted (with and without) that could help differentiate troop types.

2) How well would the plastic stick to MDF bases?  I was thinking the ‘No Nails’ style glue maybe the best and roughen up the base bottoms with a knife.

3) Would they look better with plain painted MDF bases (as per classic Britain’s figures) or filler and flock to hide the actual figure bases?

Cost wise there is not a lot of difference between the blocks and figures when you add the base and postage etc but the figures do give me an option to use dice frames for casualty markers on the base rather than the loose markers / dice I currently use.

I did consider the Perry TravelBattle figures as an option despite them being a bit smaller but they are ‘slotta-bases’ and that would be a real pain without using the special bases they make.

Participant

Someone on e did an entire napoleonic minis system with those Risk figures, so I think it would work very well.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

Here it is: La Petit Armee.

http://www.zianet.com/signifer/lpa.html

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

It seems a very expensive way of doing what 10mm figures could do at £5.50 for 30 infantry or 15 cavalry.

Participant

Andrew,

Perry Travel battle would be nice and easy especially if you are using one hour wargames rules. I think both sides including the buildings and bases would be about £20. I don’t think that is to bad on bank balance. The other advantages of all plastic is that poly cement glue will weld the pieces together. You wouldn’t have to worry about the best type of glue to bond plastic to MDF.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

It seems a very expensive way of doing what 10mm figures could do at £5.50 for 30 infantry or 15 cavalry.

A lot depends on the deals (and I’m not in any hurry at all). For example this has a set of figures for £2.49 inc postage and this is a full set of 300 for £15 and these are ready coloured.  Not sure about the detail or flash on the plastics but the same could be said for metals – I’ve had a total mix of quality from 10mm metals and not enough spare cash or will power to set up my own 3D printer.

Here it is: La Petit Armee. http://www.zianet.com/signifer/lpa.html

Interesting – the cost is a fair amount (and way above my budget) but the painting on the figures is very good given the size. I had not thought about painting them except for the base and TBH I’ve never had a lot of luck painting the softer plastic I assume the Risk figures are made from.

Who knows, maybe Warlord will do an Epic Napoleonic game or I’ll try their ACW figures (I have a few spruces in the unused pile) and swap imaginary period but for now it may be worth me keeping an eye out in the charity / 2nd hand shops locally to see if a Risk set turns up

Participant

Andrew, Perry Travel battle would be nice and easy especially if you are using one hour wargames rules. I think both sides including the buildings and bases would be about £20. I don’t think that is to bad on bank balance. The other advantages of all plastic is that poly cement glue will weld the pieces together. You wouldn’t have to worry about the best type of glue to bond plastic to MDF.

Must admit I’ve not done a full costing on this as I am a bit bothered by the silly slottabases but wonder if they would be any more trouble to cover than then Risk ones…

Participant

I think pva will work. It holds sand on my war hammer bases which are plastic.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Andrew : I think that may be for a single figure, not a whole set. At least that was what I had assumed. Having looked for similar replacement pcs in another context they are very expensive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.