Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations Small games -> Hex moves OHW

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Participant

You may know that I’ve been struggling for a few years now (mental health can and should be discussed) and tried to get enthusiasm for many a game recently with the total result being a larger lead pile and smaller bank balance!

I had been watching The Joy of Wargaming on YouTube (since he started I think) and enjoyed his 2mm and map driven games but failed twice starting up again and got distracted with hex boards and old figures etc. while missing the core point of play the game not matter what you have.

Hunting through the numerous boxes I have scattered showed I had lots of skirmish bits but no real army, let alone two and such a hodgepodge of terrain that nothing really matched and my heart fell and nearly gave in again till I reread the One Hour rules and realised that very little terrain is needed and the whole game is abstracted to minimal troop types.

This minimalism fits well with my current abilities and despite meaning a scratch start it’s doable in little chunks hopefully building up to a ‘real’ nation.

So to start with I’ve tried to limit my aims and needs as follows:

1) Two factions only
    2) Rules based on One Hour Wargames – horse and musket through to ACW period (not sure exactly)
    3) No figures – I’m using blocks from Battlescale so it’s a bit Kriegsspiel
    4) Very basic scenery – I cannot cope with foam, glue, flock etc at this time so it’s felt and a pair of scissors!

Limiting myself to the first six scenarios gave me a need to cut out 3 hills, 2 woods, 2 roads, 2 bridges and 1 river:

The board will be an off-cut of hardboard and given the size of the infantry blocks the board is just about 1/3rd that in the rules so it’s easy to scale and means I can pop the game onto a chair / sideboard / bay window if needs must.

I did think about backing the felt with card but for now I’ll keep an eye on the edges to see if they fray.

Next step is to basically paint the blocks and try a game or two as stand alone scenarios – maybe the same games using the different period rules.

Will this end up as a complex multi-nation fight?  Maybe across a fictional Lincolnshire (last done as an alien invasion steam punk campaign) but not till I’m comfortable.

Participant

(mental health can and should be discussed)- Abso-bloomin-lutely!

I have suffered myself from time to time so I will say be kind to yourself. Sometimes just getting out of bed can be an achievement.

This project sounds like it will be a lot of fun without being huge amounts of work.

As I have found with my 5 Parsecs games, if you can get a project from planning to tabletop it can create a momentum that drags you along with it.

I look forward to future posts on this project, Andrew.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

This sounds like a great plan Andrew. I really like OHW, and you really don’t need much stuff to play them.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

A minimalist setup that I have derived a disporportionate amount of play value from over the years is an A4 folder containing all you need to play DBA. A rulebook (1st and 2nd editions both fitted easily inside an A4 folder), a set of home-made counters (printed on two contrasting colours of paper and mounted on greyboard), and a collection of shapes cut from card and coloured paper representing terrain features — brown paper hills, green paper woods, blue paper rivers, black card roads and BUAs. As an extra touch I printed and mounted a couple of rulers showing movement and shooting distances. A couple of dice, and that’s all you need to play. Keen miniaturists will of course throw up their hands in horror, but a reasonably extensive collection of counters enabled one to field any pairing of armies in the lists. You could take the set anywhere with you, and have 4,000+ years of military history at your fingertips.

The set accompanied me for two years spent in Saudi Arabia, and helped me to maintain most of my sanity while there.

All the best,

John.

Participant

This approach seems right up my alley. I’ve done wargames using 20 x 10mm blocks on an erasable, gridded battle mat. It had a very kriegsspiel feel to it.

I have since switched to 3mm minis on 20 x 15 mm bases fighting on a felt battlemat with terrain made of pot scrubbers, cork, felt, and a few scratch-built buildings. It did not take too much effort to put it all together, and my battles are super quick and easy.

Participant

Mental health can and should be discussed!

A great idea, a lovely selection of felt colors, and some very cool wargaming blocks that I’d never seen before as well!

I’ve used note cards in a similar fashion to blocks, and like the “general’s map” feel this kind of approach gives for the periods of mass warfare.

Participant

Great idea Andrew. I’d also have a look at Bob Cordery’s ‘Portable Wargames’ series, which again need minimal space, terrain and figures/counters.

Also completely agree about us being and needing to be open about mental health.

Participant

Andrew, OHW always ends up being my default/ go to rules these days. It scratches that itch, minimal outlay in figures / bases. The maximum you ever need it 10 to have all options covered in the 6 unit table. Quick to play and does throw up some nice tactical challenges when playing through the scenarios.

Being just down the road from you in scunthorpe I think having Lincolnshire themed blocks is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing more of this project.

Cheers

Ian

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

One Hour Wargames is an absolute gem and yes, mental health (although from personal experience I disagree with the separation from physical health) should be discussed.

What you are doing is totally in the spirit of the book. Many years ago (1983 to be exact!) I used card strips and terrain to make myself a Pony Wars setup and after a couple of moves it mattered not that I didn’t have figures; the fun of the game took over. I’m sure it will with you too.

And, of course, if you get fed up with red and blue armies you can easily raise yellow, pink, turquoise….😆

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Participant

Excellent set up and a very valid point on mental health issues.

Participant

Not wanting to hijack Andrews thread but please can you share some photos of this set up? I’ve dabbled a little with 3mm ACW be good so see some other ideas.

Participant

My blog has some of my 3mm in action

Hills are made of cork, with a cardstock river and fields.

Here is another battle showing some pot scrubber woods.

Participant

Thank you

Participant

Wow, thank you for the support, ideas and best wishes!

I’ve been blown away by the response so far but determined not to let my mind run away with ideas as it does (I have a first class PhD in drifting and runaway thoughts).

@ Steve Johnson I am fortunate enough to have both the rules and ‘making of’ book as well as being a lurker on his blog.  I have a Mars vs Human set of 15mm figures (in classic toy high gloss) but not enough and no mounted or vehicles so it’s stalled till I have money.

@ Ian Pillay and @ Warwell As for thread hijacks – do not feel guilty as I enjoy the reading and keeping them together here will be a handy reference for me.

I did manage to get some of the resin blocks washed and dried today – anxiety struck part way through as I imagined loosing them down the drain (the sink plug is a push to seal type) so the rest got left in the box for another day.

I am/was unsure about how to paint them, originally thinking classic red / blue but using the Lincolnshire flag colours for one side sits well.  For the less fortunate folk who live outside the county our flag is:

So the infantry and cavalry blocks can be blue / green tops with yellow sides and a red top and dividing stripes, though the stripes maybe a step too far for my painting at the moment. No idea of the other side though – technically it could be a neighbouring county – Yorkshire, Notts, Leic, Cambs and Norfolk being the ‘big ones’ but we do have a large coast so it could be an EU country.  In my old game it was Yorkshire backed by aliens invading over the Humber through the ‘Low Villages’ so I may pick that theme up again (without the aliens)!

One quirk of the one hour rules is that each unit takes 15 hits to remove – this leads to a bit of a slug-fest and static games once contact is made as neither side can withdraw in some periods and it’s unclear in others (i.e. cavalry are mentioned as being able to withdraw but infantry are not mentioned either way). So to speed up the games for me I plan to use the ‘three strikes and you are out’ idea and a simple opposed roll with unit mods as per the rules.

Hunting through my boxes, I found a set of red/yellow counters (one colour each side) purchased many many years ago but they are way too large compared to the smaller blocks:
    <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>
    Now Alice (my daughter) was a bit stuck for a pressie for me and kindly arranged for ‘The Magick Shop‘ to hand pyrograph some small 3mm ply circles with the number one and two on opposite sides:
    <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>
    These will keep the board tidy while cutting out the need to individually label each block and track the damage on paper, also I could use the larger counters to denote infantry in squares rather than scraps of paper.

As for period, I’m currently leaning towards the horse and musket or rifle and sabre period rules rather than ACW as I like the idea of cavalry charges! I guess I’ll try both (maybe even the same scenario) and see what I am more comfortable with – for folk who have not read the rules there is very little difference and BOTH periods are covered in 6 pages of rules with another 6 covering the background to combat during the periods.  Yup, these rules are light to say the least.

Participant

My rules are still up on my old wiki site here: http://jefslittlewinki.pbworks.com/w/page/67177361/Nappy

I tweaked the horse & musket rules a bit to give them more Napoleonic flavour, but the ‘free pivot’ rule may help with the lack of withdrawal rules. It was a simplest way of handling manoeuvre and in keeping with the spirit of the rules.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Participant

…I imagined loosing them down the drain…

Me too. I have taken to washing stuff in a sieve within a bowl, emptying the sieve of the washed whatever, then emptying the bowl through the sieve. Usually onto the gravel in the garden, which gives me the chance to rescue anything I’ve missed. I’ve not missed anything yet, but…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

An excellent and interesting post Andrew, yes we should not be shy to talk about our mental health issues.  It helps to talk it out, having had a work place driven breakdown 15 years ago I fully empathise with your mind set.  I am thankful each and every day for this wonderful hobby I find it relaxes me and take my mind off any perceived problems.  As I retired from work 2 years ago now, my life is more sedate and I have time to indulge more of my hobby interests.

Stay safe, stay relaxed and happy gaming.

Participant

…I imagined loosing them down the drain…

Me too. I have taken to washing stuff in a sieve within a bowl…

Makes a lot more sense – To finish the remaining bits of the first army I ended up having to use a bowl, in the kitchen sink with a plastic cover over the plug and then the plug had a filter in it.  I hate it when the thoughts do not let go!  BUT I won – they got washed.

Add insult to injury though, I got three sprays into the undercoat and it started raining but not to worry as a light coat will fix the odd spots.

So rather than trying to paint the red stripes, I cheated and sprayed red over everything and can add the blue / green / yellow on the top 🙂 The nice thing about the OHW is the low number of units – a complete army (based on the maximum of each type possible) is

i.e. For the horse and musket period, the max of any unit possible (for games with 6 units) are four infantry, two artillery, two skirmishers and two cavalry but as the troops are randomised the maximums cannot be reached for every troop type at once. So, If you max out on infantry (four units) you only get two of one artillery, one skirmisher and one cavalry unit but if you max on cavalry (both units) then you can only have three infantry.

Strictly speaking, the skirmishers should be the size of infantry and the artillery smaller but what the heck – these are the blocks I have and I’m not sure it would be critical to a game given the three hit removal.

Just had a thought, I could have a game before painting everything up as the grey blocks can be the other army – unpainted figures on the table (gasp, shock, horror).

Participant

Speaking as one who’s had close encounters with suicidal depression, I sympathise with sufferers from inner demons. Therapy (works for me, won’t suit everyone) – cats.

Participant

Some great work there Andrew- Long Live The  Yellowbellies.

I too have a therapy cat.

Participant

After a real crap couple of months (worse of my life I think) I decided to spend a little time and get the armies completed today.

I found my white paint thicker than my PVA but not to worry, it gave a reasonable base for the yellow giving me the total forces looking like:

The hardboard did not really work as it slides around and is slightly warped but for now it will do fine esp if I can find my sticky feet (no NOT those). The slight rough top holds the felt ‘terrain’ well but the lack of flock means the blocks clatter when you move them around – it reminds me a bit of the old Heroscape plastic tiles.

The green and red paints could have been brighter to match the flag TBH but it works so all in all I now have the bits for the first 6 scenarios.

To start with I’m going to fight a few games to get a grip with the rules and see how I feel esp as I do not know the classic tactics for the periods so the purest may cringe when I move troops oddly…

Did you use white base for only the yellow? I like how nice and bright it is but a shame other colors aren’t as bright.

You could try paint the other side of the board and see if it evens out the warping a little. It could be a river or some other terrain to give some variation.

Participant

Good to see you making progress Andrew:)

Participant

@ Thomaston – I had to use the white as the Army painter yellow is so poor it does not cover the blue or the red at all!  As it is, that’s four thin coats to get a reasonable colour! The green on the other hand looks the same on all colours and saved me fighting with the white any more.

The red and blue are from rattle cans I had around so that set the base colours and gave me a smooth base to colour 🙂

I may have a hunt for another green but I’m too worn out with sorting my mums estate to repaint them before trying a few games – it took most of my energy to get these bits done today TBH and I’ve not hunted the markers or dice out yet.

@ Steve Johnson – Thank you, I was surprised I could face it and stayed on track for a couple of hours. With luck, I’ll get one game in this week – it may well calm me down a bit.

Participant

Having gone through the rules it looks like I’m about to play my first Napoleonic game ever!

To start with I’m going to use the horse and musket rules and a few dice rolls later the battle field and troops are ready to fight:

The scenario is number 5 – Bridgehead.

Basically, Blue has to get one unit within 4in of the north (top of pic) of the bridge at the end of the game to win BUT to add to the complexity both forces deploy over the first six turns with Red coming on from the north / east / west and Blue from the south.

Gut feel is that the two Blue cannon may be crucial in attacking and Red may have issues catching the cavalry…

House rules are:

a) Three hits and the unit is out

b) Movement will be random – force to move a unit first will be selected by pulling a coloured block out of a bag blind.

Participant

Sadly the image is not showing Andrew. Great that you got in game in though and look forward to seeing it when the image issue is fixed

Participant

Odd, it shows fine on my screen ?!?

A link to the image is https://i.imgur.com/dCX6fe0.jpg

Keymaster

I see it too.

I see it three.

Participant

It’s now showing for some reason or other!

Participant

Glad you can finally see the picture – I wonder if its anything to do with CloudFlare and them not updating things?  I see Mike serves the site from the US most days so I would just blame the computer 🙂 as it said ‘no’. But anyway, sorted now – that’s the main thing.

I’ve not been able to get my head around the scenario rules on top of the period rules (mind goes like treacle and two stress markers show up as I try to read through them) so the board layout is going back to the very first scenario – a straight slug fest with two hills (one each side) to get used to movement and combat.  Given that I used to play Star Fleet Battles with 1000+ pages of rules it shows the change in capability.

But I’m going to stick at it, so bite sized chunks and enjoy the block shuffling is my first aim.  Maybe tonight – who knows.

At least the reading is helping settle me down – managed to read the first Gotrek and Felix Omnibus during my long sleepless nights! (Amazon Smile link – not affiliate – you select the charity you want to support.)

Keymaster

The server I rent is based in the UK, but runs TWW via a CDN.

Keymaster

managed to read the first Gotrek and Felix

Oooh how are you finding them?

Participant

DNS today reports 172.67.149.253 and 104.21.29.240 – both US based Cloudflare (your CDN I assume) but one reports being in the middle of a lake so I’m not sure how valid the geolocation data is 🙂

I enjoyed the book(s) esp as it was discounted as a Kindle or Humblebundle deal a while ago. It’s a bit of a mixed bag –

Trollslayer shows it’s age as it reads a bit ‘crude’ compared to the others but is a solid grounding and introduction to the characters

Skavenslayer is the strongest of the three as you learn a lot about the Skaven way of thinking

Daemonslayer was the weakest of the three being basically set on a airship with a plot device (a Skaven) that could have been a lot stronger.

Best of the lot surprisingly was the short story ‘A Place of Quiet Assembly’ by John Brunner – a nice twist on a school reunion and a different pace to the long books.

Being a Skaven fan I would have paid the full price for the Skaven book but not sure I’ll buy all of the collections (5 in total) unless discounted as I guess they will get very similar in the end, by that I mean how many different ways can you travel, get drunk, find bad guys, kill them and regret surviving? The humour and character interplay works and adds the odd light moment but at the core they are the same theme.

Saying all of that, as a glimpse into the day to day life in the Old World I’ve not read better and the narration of the stories being through the eyes of Felix works well. A solid 7.5 out of 10

Keymaster

I felt as they progressed they upped the ante and I liked them less.
    And yes, they are pretty samey.

My favourite bits were the Geheimnisnacht story and the Sewer Jacks, though the journey through the Mountains and the barrows was also good.

What about yourself?

Or is that another topic?

Participant

The whole sewer location and characters worked excellently and I could imagine the smell / look and feel while reading where as the tunnels in Daemonslayer seemed bland in comparison.

As for another topic – not fussed, the books have been a help with the slow mind and are in a game world. The way my mind jumps around, it seems quite apt (and normal) to mix a block based Napoleonic game with fantasy to me!

Participant

Hey bud, been reading this and i got inspired to buy some wood blocks from the works (shop) and i’m gonna work out some simple game rules for them. Probably starting in the ancient world, or maybe medieval. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

WWW.WICKEDWARGAMES.COM - The wargames company i run with a friend.

Participant

Hope you have fun and chuffed to see the post inspires.

As for me – still struggling to pick up the dice and try a game rather than sit and look at the board.  Mind currently saying ‘what happens if you do not like the game’, ‘can you cope with the terrain sliding around / the click of the pieces’ etc etc. I would say it’s driving me potty but I know I am there already…  

Maybe tonight will be a games night?  Been an OK day coping wise so who knows.

Participant

Andrew I hope it does become a game night. Thank you for sharing  this project and your state of mind. That takes courage. Good on you!
    Best wishes,

Ian

Participant

Fingers crossed it all goes OK for you Andrew!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.