Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century WSS124 Fontenoy Scenario Order of Battle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Was looking through the latest issue of WSS124, which features a Fontenoy scenario.  I can’t quite fathom the order of battle though.  It looks like the printed order of battle is perhaps the entire French Army, and the entire British-Hanoverian contingent – but not the Dutch contingent.  It isn’t particularly clear either which French units are facing the British attack for the suggested focus of the battle (the attack on the French Guards, then the counter-attack of the Irish Brigade).  Perhaps I am reading it a bit wrong though – can anyone help out, please?

Participant

No Hannoverian or Austrian contingents either?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Yes to Hanoverians, no to the Austrians.  That wouldn’t have to be an issue,  if just the French forces facing the British-Hanoverian forces were listed…but it seems not.

Participant

For what it’s worth, Obscure Battles (yeah, I know) has a Fontenoy page.

http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2017/09/fontenoy-1745.html

Approach with caution, much of that could be conjecture. Not a lot seems to be known about the battle in detail.

Nice maps though 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Thanks NCS, appreciate it.

This book is exceptional, and I think there was an english translation

Participant

It is not the full battle. As fighting between the Dutch and French was rather brief, this part has been omitted from the scenario, which starts after the failed Dutch attack. It is stated in the article as well.

Participant

Yes. Like I said, the problem is that the French order of battle looks like it is the entire French order of battle, so one does not know which French units should face the Allied units which are referred to in the article.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.