Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket A capture By The 4 Musketeers Rule test

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I did a rule test yesterday https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/game-rule-test-with-5-actors/ and amended some of the rules, I am now giving them a second test but just blade rather than musket, so I chose the 4 musketeers

the scenario is Lady dewinter The Cardinal are having a secret meeting with an english priest to what end we dont know, the priet will escape by horse the cardinal and dewinter by boat, you must capture both.

special rule Musketeers dont die they just are perminantly out of the fight

here are the rules, Im amending rules as i play

A Set Of simple fast Play rules for the age of Muskets, it has an unusual turn system

the game uses turns unusualy, whenever a double is thrown the turn flips to the other side.

movement has 3 ranges short Medium or Long, foot is short 6 inches, things like boats medium 12 inches, horses long 18inches. the player whoes turn it is can move upto 4 figs at a time but all 4 can suffer from any attack BUT each rolls seperatly on the results table. with the turn ststem you never know if your group can get big enough for an attack.

if a fig moves or fires any enemy fig in range may melee or fire . if in short range it may move to base contact to melee. you can only break out of melee by sufferring a free attack from every fig in contact, but if in short range you can move into melee.

reaction has 3 rounds the first is when a player whoes turn it is moves or fires it trigeres reaction fire or melee from the enemy, then the player may fire or melee.

you may move 4 figs together BUT if attacked they all suffer and roll seperatly on the results table

you can only attack one fig in any attack.

each attack uses the to hit table, you roll 2 D6s and add or subtract Modifiers and see if you have hit, if you hit you roll 1 D6 and apply the result from the attack result table

a wouned fig May fire but only move at a crawl 1inch

TO HIT TABLE (You Must roll equal or below to hit)

short medium long
    ———————————-
    musket 7 6 5
    pistol 6 2 –
    bow 8 2 –
    sword 8 – –
    knife 9 – –
    axe 8 – –

TP HIT MODIDIERS

Target in Cover + 3
    Target Armoued + 2
    Target Moving Fast + 2(targets are moving fast by default,by any attack triggered by the move)
    Attacker Moving Fast + 3
    Attacker has upto 4 figs supporting figs in short Range and in the attack + 1 for every fig, BUT if not using ranged weapons eg sword they all must be in base contact with the enemy(this Mod makes you stick with groups in your games like squads)
    if attacker is within short range of a Leader + 1
    if target is within short range of a Leader – 1

ATTACK RESULT TABLE

1 Dead
    2 Dead
    3 Wounded (a second wound kills a fig)
    4 Wounded (a second wound kills a fig)
    5 Graze
    6 Graze

NOTES
    you may voluntary pass a turn

boats are boarded and unboarded all figs in one go. this allows raids.

if you throw a double, you dont continue instead you imediatly pass the turn on
    a second wound kills a fig

wounded figs are layed down, dead figs are removed.

figs in short Range and in the attack + 1 for every fig, BUT if not using ranged weapons eg sword they all must be in base contact with the enemy(this Mod makes you stick with groups in your games like squads)

figs in range may melee or fire . if in short range it may move to base contact to melee. you can only break out of melee by sufferring a free attack from every fig in contact, but if in short range you can move into melee.

every time a fig contacts for melee the defender can attack(this means if 4 figs melee in a turn the defender can attack each as they make contack)

if a fig is in melee with more than one fig, it can only melee one in a turn.
    everytime a melee is started the other side gets to return attack

if a miniature is within 1 inch of cover its in cover , BUT when moving if your path takes you out of cover then you cannot get the cover bonus if attacked as you move

WW2 Mod

1 Dead
    2 Wounded and pinned(a second wound kills a fig)
    3 pinned
    4 Wounded and Suppressed(a second wound kills a fig)
    5 Suppressed
    6 Suppressed

a suppessed fig may not fire, it may only retreat. and use muskets and knives as main attacks on the tables.

if in range of a leader you may try a rally roll by rolling a D6 1,2, or 3 tou rally but 4, and 5 you remain suppressed a 6 and you refuse any orders in effect out of the fight

Participant

My first amendment to the rules

figs in short Range and in the attack + 1 for every fig, BUT if not using ranged weapons eg sword they all must be in base contact with the enemy(this Mod makes you stick with groups in your games like squads)

My second amendment

if a fig moves or fires any enemy fig in range may melee or fire . if in short range it may move to base contact to melee

My 3rd amendment

you cant break out of melee in an opponents turn, but if in short range you can move into melee.

4th amendment

every time a fig contacts for melee the defender can attack(this means if 4 figs melee in a turn the defender can attack each as they make contack)

5th amendment

if a fig is in melee with more than one fig, it can only melee one in a turn.

Participant

ok as I played a very short game due to bad rolls for the musketeers I found a few amendments and fixed the rules

the turn saw the boat swordsman fend off 3 musketeers by killing one and wounding two because he attacked each one as they aproached for melee the fourth attack threw a double so the cardinals man aproached and melee the 4th musketeer ending the fight quickley

Participant

ok I have been yinkering with the rules because swordplay and melee rules were not as good as they should of been, i think i have a set now that works. I am restarting the scenario with some extra musketeers on both sides to help balance, the 4 musketeers are leaders so get the -1 bonus.

Participant

Ok discovered I need a rule for Melee Groups, I think its something like wait untill Mellee builds to its full but allowing all Combatants to have the +3 & -3 for fast moves by attacker and defender cancel each other out. So once the Base to base attacks are setup the player whoes turn it is can attack as he wants but triggering the defenders also to attack.

first off I started by attacking the boat and intend to asault the main group with the 4 musketeers

but a double on the boat attack flips the turn and the cardinals men approach

So the groups close together as a cardinals man moves closer at short range allows my musketeers to react by engaging in melee, the cardinals men could of attacked one at a time but chose to wait untill the melee became bigger

one musketeer dies and one of the cardinals is wounded

Participant

So I need to make sense of this group melee in the rules, it just can be each side chooses to wait as the melee builds so no rule change needed, each group creeps forwards untill short range and threy arrive together

Participant

the turn fliped to the musketeers, and an inkling of a plan formed, the lowly single muketeer killed the wounded cardinals man on the boat and sailed the boat behind the cardinals men and captued the horse, all he has to do is lead the hose to the boat and the muketeers have won

Participant

won by an ordinary muketeer as the heroes fought

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.