Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Gorn starships

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I got a package of Gorn in the mail today. Thankfully this was the pleasant surprise type of Gorn as in the large lizard-people of the original Star Trek series. I’ve put a few of them together (the rest are duplicates of the same types) so figured I’d share my a first impressions.

Firstly, I really like the improved detail sculpts that were revised over the original Starline 2500 models that more directly copied the old 2400 series, though I prefer the chunky extra bits to the diamond patterns (which influenced my choice of ships). The metal used is a good hard type that’s held the finer details well and had only very minor need for straightening out the engine nacelles. The ships were each in 3 parts, two engines and the hull as a whole so assembly required was minimal. The casting quality I’d rate is average-good. Not say, Empress level crisp & fine but certainly not too much to clean up either. Some slight very fine detail lost typically on the right side but nothing major. I may have lose a few phaser bumps due to cleaning up the edges with a file, but I suspect that happens to everyone.

A minor detail I really appreciate is that the warp nacelles all have different attachment methods, so you don’t lose which one is the up or down nacelle, or mix them up when working on multiple ships. The attachments all give a nice surface area to plug into, though that’s an integral part of the Gorn ship designs as much as it is the sculpts.

The bases are as supplied with the ships, there are attachment holes already in place, though not all ships are perfectly balanced. I don’t begrudge this though since I’ll probably use the appropriate holes (in hulls and nacelles depending on the model) to jam a magnet in and a lot of it is just down to the design of the ship not giving more suitable contact points. The ships are all in the range of 2 to 3 (ish) inches in length, thanks to the designs mounting the warp nacelles centrally rather than the older (not Starline 2500) models with them often being attached to the rear hull.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.