Home Forums Terrain and Scenery How to produce my own clump foliage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Do you know ways to produce my own forest clump foliage instead of buying some every time I need more?

Participant

Take some cushion foam (the soft kind you can find in sheets at craft/sewing stores like  https://www.joann.com/airtex-2in-x-24in-high-density-foam-sheet/2180289.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicshopping ), rip around a couple board feet of it into semi-small bits (~1-2″ max), add around a quarter-cup or so (like making dough: it’s all about the feel) of household latex paint that matches your table’s pallet (a quart mixed up will last quite a while and will be useful across all of your terrain/basing projects), mush it all up a bit, dump it into a blender (that you won’t use for anything else, so from a thrift store?), and give it a good pulsing until the bits are the size you’d like.  Spread out the mess on some wax paper and let it dry.

Pulsing cubes/boxes of the foam until they’re a bit ‘wonky’, then pressing them onto toothpicks and stood up (in insulation foam?) to dry can make good-enough trees that are half-to-one-inch diameter – different shades of paint and/or a quick sprinkle of fine turf (before they dry) can serve to make a decent variety.  The ‘leftover’ little scrap niblets that are created can be spread out/dried/used as with the foliage process noted.

Caveat: It’s been years since I did this in bulk in a shop, so my memory is undoubtedly playing tricks on the accuracy of what I’ve described, but the gist is solid…I think ; )

Participant

What he said 🙂 there are also quite a few how-to’s on Youtube.

I also make my own flock, well worth the trivial effort involved to get the colour and texture I prefer

Participant

Take some cushion foam (the soft kind you can find in sheets at craft/sewing stores like https://www.joann.com/airtex-2in-x-24in-high-density-foam-sheet/2180289.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicshopping ), rip around a couple board feet of it into semi-small bits (~1-2″ max), add around a quarter-cup or so (like making dough: it’s all about the feel) of household latex paint that matches your table’s pallet (a quart mixed up will last quite a while and will be useful across all of your terrain/basing projects), mush it all up a bit, dump it into a blender (that you won’t use for anything else, so from a thrift store?), and give it a good pulsing until the bits are the size you’d like. Spread out the mess on some wax paper and let it dry. Pulsing cubes/boxes of the foam until they’re a bit ‘wonky’, then pressing them onto toothpicks and stood up (in insulation foam?) to dry can make good-enough trees that are half-to-one-inch diameter – different shades of paint and/or a quick sprinkle of fine turf (before they dry) can serve to make a decent variety. The ‘leftover’ little scrap niblets that are created can be spread out/dried/used as with the foliage process noted. Caveat: It’s been years since I did this in bulk in a shop, so my memory is undoubtedly playing tricks on the accuracy of what I’ve described, but the gist is solid…I think ; )

Thanks but is this way of doing produce similar results? Does the newly created clump foliage looks very similar to the Woodland Scenics one?

What he said 🙂 there are also quite a few how-to’s on Youtube. I also make my own flock, well worth the trivial effort involved to get the colour and texture I prefer

Thanks but I want to be sure that the resulting product is very similar to the Woodland Scenics clump foliage.

Keymaster

Thanks but I want to be sure that the resulting product is very similar to the Woodland Scenics clump foliage.

I thought you wanted to make it so that it is the same every time, if you use the same process and the same materials it should be very similar.

Or are you wanting to make some stuff that looks like the woodlands scenic stuff?

Participant

I thought you wanted to make it so that it is the same every time, if you use the same process and the same materials it should be very similar. Or are you wanting to make some stuff that looks like the woodlands scenic stuff?

In fact, I would like to create some clump foliage that is as good looking and realistic as the Woodland Scenics one. Is it possible? I also want to reduce the cost but realism is the most important factor for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.